Onward - Review

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Onward - Review

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2020, 4:17 pm

This one is especially ripe for the Pixaren't label! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2020, 1:17 am

James wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Technically they’ve been releasing the streaming version before physical media for years — the digital copy is always available to buy two weeks before the Blu-ray on iTunes (and other platforms).
Yes, but that was back when studios thought Digital still had a future. Mostly Warner thinking that, since they had a stake invested in Flixster and Ultraviolet, not to mention a deep burning desire to see retail disc wiped off the marketplace.

Now Flixster and Ultraviolet are gone, and most of the Digital industry with them, but that didn't quite make the headlines, because by that point, we'd somehow confused the word "Digital" with the rise of Netflix, Amazon Prime and streaming. Some people today still can't tell the difference between the two.
Disney, as the owner of MoviesAnywhere, has now taken Warner's place and they have the monopoly on digital-locker movies, but part of the reason for Disney+ and WarnerMedia (or HBOMax, or whatever Warner's calling their studio-owned streaming service) is that the goalposts for "Digital" shifted laterally over onto a studio obsession with streaming replacing disc, rather than digital-purchase becoming the new-normal.
A difference of medium, but the goal is still the same.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2020, 4:08 am

The way I look at it, "Digital" was supposed to supplant Blu-ray as the latest progression in home video, as in the early disc formats, then VHS, LD, CD-I (for five minutes, remember that?) and CD-V, DVD, BD and then Digital, where you didn’t need those pesky discs and could just play the same file right on your computer/TV/whatever.

This is why the combo packs went from being DVDs with a bundled BD, to BDs with a bundled DVD and newfangled Digital Copy (in whichever flavor desired) so as to be backwards and forwards compatible. BUT two things happened: physical refused to go away, leading to the next format after BD, 4K, and then there was the rise of Netflix’s streaming concept, which took those Digital files and basically stored them *for* you, saving your hard drive space on *their* hard drive and asking five bucks a month to access them.

Not surprisingly, this took off, though as you say it’s much the same concept. What amuses me is that, despite the rise of streaming, or digital steaming if you will, people still buy the physical BD or 4K for better quality...and then end up ripping them to their own drives!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2020, 5:19 am

Ben wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 4:08 am
This is why the combo packs went from being DVDs with a bundled BD, to BDs with a bundled DVD and newfangled Digital Copy (in whichever flavor desired) so as to be backwards and forwards compatible. BUT two things happened: physical refused to go away, leading to the next format after BD, 4K, and then there was the rise of Netflix’s streaming concept, which took those Digital files and basically stored them *for* you, saving your hard drive space on *their* hard drive and asking five bucks a month to access them.
Well, you're skipping the key point:
- First there was the bundled Digital Copy (ie. the iPod file, back when such devices were popular),
- THEN Netflix decided to make its DVD-by-mail concept downloadable to save on postage,
- and THEN Warner tried to sell us on Ultraviolet's "We'll store them for you!" idea, which tanked epically. So badly, in fact, that every time Warner tried to explain it, people thought they were talking about Netflix...And then, when they explained, no, this is the one where you pay for every movie and TV episode and get to keep it, they went back to Netflix.
And then, when studios refused to admit that Ultraviolet had blown up on the launch pad, said, "Fine, okay, whatever--The 'Digital future' is Netflix!" And immediately assumed that whatever anyone wanted to watch would be on a streaming service (that users only had to pay once a month for).

But, again, physical refused to be wished away in studios' imaginations, the question of whether 4K would be a disc or streaming market was resolved very quickly, studios still believe we watch all our movies on streaming just because we watch The Mandalorian, and they still don't want to make retail discs if they don't have to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 20th, 2020, 10:26 am

Walt Disney Studios wrote:#PixarOnward is coming to the US tonight on digital download and will be streaming on #DisneyPlus on April 3rd.
Whoa! At this stage though, what choice do they have? Bold move to say the least. With this along with Frozen II, I just see it as Disney trying to keep the magic alive and not some bull conspiracy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2020, 11:40 am

Earlier than I thought, but...
Ben wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 4:52 am
I can see this coming to D+ fairly quickly too, like Frozen II.
With Universal doing the same for Trolls, they didn’t have much choice. Here's more:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ic-1285590

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 21st, 2020, 1:56 am

Ben wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 11:40 am
With Universal doing the same for Trolls, they didn’t have much choice.
Well, for Universal and Trolls, I'll stick to the bull conspiracies--
Simply because Universal--not Disney, not Sony, not even WARNER--has been inexplicably obsessed with the idea of "Someday, we'll be able to stay home and watch same-day PPV theatrical premieres in our own living rooms!" for thirty-seven years. I've counted.
Yes, thirty-seven, as in, premiering "The Pirates of Penzance" as a PPV event on Showtime cable back in 1983. (Which resulted in every theater chain in the country boycotting it, reducing the wide release to an indie-arthouse release, and nobody remembered the movie until it showed up on cable...NOT that I'm holding any grudges, mind. :evil: )

Back when Digital VOD was the Big Thing in the 10's, Universal tried selling the idea again--who knows, someday audiences might subscribe to an exclusive service that charged $50-$99 for a blockbuster PPV premiere!--but this time, even just the threat of an AMC and Regal boycott made them back down on 2011's "Tower Heist", with Eddie Murphy and Ben Stiller. Don't feel badly if you don't remember it.

I honestly don't know why they're still at it, or why they've so vigorously projected their own wishes on the audience for all those many decades. With Warner, we know Digital's a weaselly excuse because they don't want to sell Blu-ray discs, but with Universal? Maybe they want to save money on film prints?...They wanted to count $20 rentals as "tickets"? Anyway, they heard "Everyone will be stuck at home streaming", and their eyes just lit up like a Christmas tree.
All I know is, I had to sit through the Trolls:World Tour trailer AND two different tie-in ads at every kids' movie I've seen since August, and it couldn't happen to a "nicer" movie. That might also go for Disney/Marvel's "Black Widow", but oh, does T:WT have it coming, slowly and painfully...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2020, 4:15 am

— They’re capitalising on a worldwide advertising rollout. People are aware of the movie so they’re letting them see it the only way possible right now.

— Tower Heist is a hugely enjoyable and funny action caper. Actually, since we've had our cinema set up, it’s one of the few films to get three or four showings, due to how popular it’s been with audiences.

— They don’t make film prints anymore.

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 7th, 2020, 4:19 pm

So, has everyone checked it out on Disney+?

We had a family movie night with it on Saturday. It went over well, though I'm not sure anyone loved it. It was good, though. Like many Pixar films, it felt like it took a while to warm up, but by the end I had a warm glow in my heart and teary eyes. I liked the Pixar-trademarked "twist" at the end, though I'm sure that those more clever than I would have seen it coming.

So, I have to agree with critics who have called it "middle of the road Pixar." And that's not a bad thing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 7th, 2020, 7:50 pm

When I review Pixar films, I try really hard not to hold their record against them! A middle of the road Pixar film is usually still on par with the best from some other studios.

I knew there would be some twist, but did not see that one coming at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 7th, 2020, 8:28 pm

It hasn’t hit D+ outside North America yet, but I’m ready for it when it does!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 8th, 2020, 3:45 am

I noticed that Onward has appeared on on demand services in Australia this week. It got a week of sneak peeks the week before cinemas were closed. It was definitely rushed into cinemas for those sneak peaks cause I don't think it was due to open for another 2 weeks before cinemas were shut. I was wondering if we would get it 'online' or if Australia would have to wait out COVID-19. My friend was gobsmacked at the $25 rental tag, but when I pointed out that it technically should be in cinemas (and needs to make some money) and a whole family can watch it for only $25 she understood the steep price tag. It's gonna be my Easter gift to myself this weekend.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2020, 4:45 am

Yeah, the theatricals that’s have gone VOD over here can be "rented" for £20, which isn’t bad for a family of four or more, but still quite steep for a couple or someone on their own. I’m just doing my usual thing and waiting for the discs. No need to spend out essentially twice on the same thing (plus it’s said to be coming to D+ in May, so not long).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 8th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Hi, I'm new here.
I'm glad I could find another place to talk about animated films and Disney.

As for Onward, I liked the film but I don't think it's going to become a top favorite of mine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bcrombar » April 9th, 2020, 6:32 pm

"Pixar has a knack for world building."

I never really thought about that until you brought that up in your Onward review. I could see how you would say that especially with Coco or Toy Story 4 worlds being so large and obsessively detailed.

Great Onward review! I also really enjoyed the creativity and original idea. I'm just bummed their box office sales were sabotaged by COVID19. Onward should be top 10 in worldwide theater sales but it's not even a blip on the radar at this point, sad.