Best things from the Decades Discussion: 1990s

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Best things from the Decades Discussion: 1990s

Post by Wonderlicious » December 1st, 2005, 5:16 pm

Okay, I've come up with an idea for discussing the coolest things from various decades. The first one that we'll talk about is the 1990s, which is so far the only decade that I've lived from start to finish through. Anyway, here are some of the coolest things ever from that decade (in my opinion)...

The Simpsons
Quite easily the best TV show ever for me. It has everything, cool animation, clever writing and a heart. What more could you want? A visit from Sherry Bobbins or a ride on the Little Land of Duff? See my vest and eat my shorts!

Disney's Revival
Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King are all amazing films and it's good that along with earlier things like The Simpsons and The Little Mermaid, helped to bring animation to audiences' eyes a bit more (though there are a few who regard cartoons as kids stuff still, the poos :roll:).

Goodness Gracious Me
I love this sketch show. It's cute and giggly, yet has a sense of social commentary in it at the same time. I still need to get the DVD. It isn't the blandest thing on the menu, unlike scampi. ;)

Toy Story
Although it's sad that it was one of the nails in the coffin for Disney Animation, it was definately a golden nail, as Toy Story is an amazing film with a great story and atmosphere that makes it soar. The sequel is also cool.

DVD
It came in 1997 and was truly being noticed by the end of 1999. And it's a good thing, as many may never have seen films at home in their OAR and production/publicity materials sometimes from 70 years ago.

Basket Case
This just describes my state of mind! :lol:

Well, I've gotta go now, but I hope you liked this little piece of fluff! Feel free to comment on what you think are some of the best things from the 1990s!
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 1st, 2005, 5:42 pm

Period.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » December 1st, 2005, 6:01 pm

Pardon my lacking enthusiam and not getting pictures bit I'll a couple.

The internet which makes this thread possible crept up in the early 1990's for public use.

And in 1999 Brad Bird and Warner Brothers released The Iron Giant proving that Disney (though the benchmark for animation) were not the only ones who could pull off a quality animated film.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2005, 9:03 pm

New Kids on the Block! :D (nah, just kiddin', although I was a fan when I was younger)

Animated Features:

1.) Beauty and the Beast
2.) Aladdin
3.) The Lion King
4.) The Prince of Egypt
5.) Pocahontas

Live-Action films:

1.) Schindler's List
2.) American Beauty
3.) Jurassic Park

Shows:

1.) The Simpsons
2.) The Critic
3.) Dr. Katz
4.) Daria

Hey Wonderlicious I like those "Old Style" Simpsons. Different from the newer ones.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » December 1st, 2005, 10:25 pm

I still think you need Iron Giant on the animated feature list
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 2nd, 2005, 9:12 am

I agree that The Iron Giant was an amazingly important film in so far as it said (after a string of wannabes from other studios) that someone other than Disney COULD put out a fully involving animated feature and of the quality required.

Unfortunately, Toy Story (TS2 is still the best all-round CGI feature out there) came along and studio execs saw it easier to make those kind of films rather than train traditional artsits to make more Iron Giants (the box office fate of both these films can not be underestimated either, even if WB did botch the Giant marketing).

But it did say that there are alternatives other than the Mouse...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » December 3rd, 2005, 1:32 am

the '90s eh?

The Disney revival, the golden age of 2d animation, Celine Dion when she still sounds good, boybands like Boyzone and Back Street Boys, TV-wise is when they started airing one of the funniest anime I've ever seen, "The Time Machine"--in which they have this tea kettle as a time machine. (It only aired in Japan and Indonesia), the coolest experimental animation (from France/Canada I think), Spartacus?,some really good American TV shows like the Cosby's are starting to be imported, and good economic value of Indonesian money.

Speaking of Spartacus, does anyone know a TV show that has the theme that sings

"Join, follow Spartacus
To the sun beneath the sea
Rainbow dawn
All arcadia.."

I forget the rest of it but that's one of the best animated TV shows I've seen when I was a pre-teen.

Also there was an American sitcom about this girl who can stop time and her father's an alien and her mom is human. She lives with her mom and contacts her dad from time to time on a crystal ball-like transmitter

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 4th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Wow, fun thread. I grew up in the 90's so everything already mentioned is definitely very 90's to me :D . I've got some too, eventhough one is already mentioned. My favourites from the 90's:

Tim Burton's masterpiece:

Satire at its absolute best in South Park:

although already mentioned, the revival of Disney animation is definitely a high point of the 90's:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » December 4th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Yes i remember when my grandpa took me to see Toy story and my mother to see the lion king!
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SingingDuckGirl » December 6th, 2005, 4:48 pm

what about this!
Oh, wait...

Actually, it would kind of be fun if they made a new Nifty 90's Mickey short, with stuff from the 1990's. Like, instead of the "Strolling through the park" song, there'd be some boy band song or something. And then they'd go see a titantic-like movie, or maybe even one of the disney animation renassaince movies. And then, in another century, they'd make another Nifty 90's short where they parody the 2090's.

maybe this isn't such a good idea... :?:
Dad-Gum!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2005, 5:13 pm

That's a really cute idea! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 6th, 2005, 5:13 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2005, 5:13 pm

Actually, it would kind of be fun if they made a new Nifty 90's Mickey short, with stuff from the 1990's. Like, instead of the "Strolling through the park" song, there'd be some boy band song or something. And then they'd go see a titantic-like movie, or maybe even one of the disney animation renassaince movies. And then, in another century, they'd make another Nifty 90's short where they parody the 2090's.

That's actually a really cute idea! :)

Also, I wanted to say that that Beauty and the Beast image is my favorite scene in the movie! :wink: