Coronavirus (Covid-19)

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Post by Daniel » April 13th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Thank you. I hope no one else here has to go through this. It was like a never ending nightmare.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 13th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Even for those of us who are still healthy, it feels that way. But I appreciate what you mean. I'm glad the worst is over for you.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Oh, so sorry to hear that Dan. I have a friend who brought it back from LA (well, he caught it on the plane back) and he's said similar. It’s certainly something I am doing absolutely everything I can to keep away from...even going onto a ventilator sounds like a hideous and invasive ordeal, I had no idea they literally have to sew them into your arteries...ugh! It’s doubled my resolve to try and stay away from this thing just as much as I can.

Glad you’re over the worst. Remember that we don’t *really* know if this can come back, so keep safe and don’t assume that because you’ve had it you’re now okay.

Be sensible, and be safe. All the best. 😷

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 13th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Not sure what you mean about sewing arteries? I think you may be mistaken in your terminology. Ventilators only use the airways directly, not the circulatory system.

Maybe you refer to extracorporeal membrane oxygenation? Even then, I don't know of there being actual sewing involved.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Yeah, I got my terminology wrong...I was referring to the tracheotomy cannula that gets direct into the windpipe. The bottom line is that going on a ventilator is not just like putting a mask on and breathing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 13th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Yeah, whether you get a tracheostomy or not, there's a tube going into your windpipe. Not fun. Of course, you're sedated or even put into an induced coma, but I'd rather avoid the whole thing for sure.

(I do have experience working with such patients, including having to suction them or percuss their chests.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I've seen stories about people getting it again, so definitely not letting my guard down. Although I was already pretty cautious to begin with and still got it. That's the problem with this invisible monster. So scary. Those first few days were seriously like Twilight Zone on steroids... this whole thing is like an episode that just won't end! Thank you for what you said, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Oh God Dan I’m so so sorry...please stay safe and healthy! I’m so glad you’re recuperating but as said definitely take extra care.

I’m praying for your quick recovery. 🙏
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 14th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Thank you, that means a lot. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm

You’re very welcome. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Some recent funnies from one of my favorite comic strips:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Now, now, we still have November to make 2020 all worthwhile...Good things come to those who wait. :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 17th, 2020, 3:29 pm

While no surprise, and being quite sensible, Comic-Con has now officially been cancelled for this year.

Last year, it seemed a little crazy for me to pack in trips to England, Italy, and California (for D23), all in the month of August. Now, no longer able to take travel for granted, I feel like a genius.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 17th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Was actually thinking about that a moment ago on the drive home, Rand. :mrgreen:

Yep, Comic Con isn't happening this year. Honestly, it was just a matter of time before it was official. On top of everything, the convention center is sheltering the homeless during the pandemic, so it's not like they could flip the switch and get everything organized, cleaned, and sterilized in a short amount of time. Saving CC for next year ultimately was the best option.

And fortunately for us ticket holders, we have the option to roll-over the tickets to next year so we're good.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 19th, 2020, 5:24 am