YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by Randall » April 13th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Thanks. I'd love to do more, but I've never made the time to audition again. And now that I have lots of time, one can't go out to do anything. But, maybe someday!

Doing it was fun! This little exercise series was a local production that was produced by the father of my daughter's friend. It aired locally, and Tim shopped it around for syndication when he went to production conferences internationally (I'm not aware that it aired anywhere else). Tim and I became pals initially based on a mutual admiration for Studio Ghibli (our daughters were amazed that each was so well-versed in Ghibli knowledge - Like, "How do you know so much about Studio Ghibli?"). Still, I had to audition against pro actors, and I recorded at an actual recording studio. Tim said that I understood voice acting better than a lot of the pros, who were used to giving physical performances, because they kept trying to get the voice over by using only their bodies, whereas I "got" that I had to use my voice expressively.

Tim encouraged me to enroll in a voice acting course in Vancouver, but it didn't seem worth it, especially since I couldn't really devote the necessary time to make a go if it. But even if I only ever do the one role (and I was literally a Star!), it was an item crossed off my bucket list. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 20th, 2020, 10:47 am

Drone video of empty Shanghai Disneyland made to look like the current Disney production logo

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/ ... 9744567297

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2020, 8:56 pm

That is actually quite cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 28th, 2020, 1:04 am

Nebula-75, a Century 21 Production from the 21st Century .. filmed in SuperMarionation -- and in SuperIsolation -- in a central London studio .. flat. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Impressive! Love that it was shot in the 4:3 ratio, and that when the Circuit says the year "2020" in the opening it *still* sounds like that’s the awesome future!

However, after a certain spoof and with the new style puppets, all I could think of a lot of the time was "come on, Gary...ACT!" ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 3rd, 2020, 10:45 am

I figure I'd post them here since they're only online for a limited time.

As part of a fundraiser, National Threatre has posted in full two performances of Danny Boyle's 2011 stage production of Frankenstein starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. A unique feature of the production was that Cumberbatch and Miller would alternate roles each night.

Here's the performance with Cumberbatch as The Creature and Miller as Victor Frankenstein. It will be online until Thursday, May 7 at approx. 7pm UK time.

Here's the performance with Miller as The Creature and Cumberbatch as Victor Frankenstein. It will be online until Friday, May 8 at approx. 7pm UK time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 20th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Another quite interesting video from JoBlo, detailing the actual behind-the-scenes skinny on X3: The Last Stand. Again so much stuff I myself had no idea about, and haven’t really seen anywhere else.

https://youtu.be/JQi4OOGAHH8

Only thing I do wish JB had done here was include more info on Kelsey Grammar, (easily the best part of the film, except for maybe Hugh Jackman’s performance) and how he came to play Beast in the first place. He doesn’t really come off like as a comic book/superhero movie lover, and yet he did such a spectacular job. (Actually I’m pretty sure it was his performance alone that prevented me from walking out of the theater at about the three-quarter mark.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 22nd, 2020, 12:37 am

Kinda random but I always found it weird how this scene in An American Tail (1986) had child actors on VHS (the version I grew up with) but for some reason when the DVD came out the characters were all played by adults. Here’s a comparison:

https://youtu.be/fCgWnA2cprg

I looked it up on IMDB a while ago and apparently the scene ORIGINALLY featured the adult actors but mid-way through production were replaced by the children. By the time the DVD was eventually released (I guess sometime in the 2000s) their parents had some kind of issue with Universal about how much money their children had been paid. Or something like that. So Universal just replaced their voices with the originals. :?

Honestly, and no offense to the adult actors, but I really find their obviously-not-kids voices to be very jarring....one great aspect of the Bluth films was that actual children almost always voiced young characters. (Philip Glasser as Fievel, for one.). And can you picture Land Before Time (1988 version) without that great child cast who played Littlefoot, Cera and Ducky? (I’d rather not! :roll:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am

Huh. I never knew this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 22nd, 2020, 5:39 am

Another reason I kept my VHS.

However, the differences are not really as obvious as this, as this comparison isn’t helped by the fact that there’s an additional pitch shift: the VHS looks like it comes from a faster speed PAL copy, while the DVD is the right speed NTSC, which has the correct but lower pitch.

Even then I’m not sure *all* the voices are different: the vocal inflections are too close on a couple of lines. Although the big guy is a replacement, I think this is a speed and pitch thing more than anything and, honestly, if I didn’t know any different, I wouldn’t know! These are older streetwise orphans anyway, not younger kids like Fieval.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 22nd, 2020, 7:51 am

Yeah, the kid with the glasses/turtleneck was the same in both versions. It’s only the other two that were dubbed over. I get that they’re all supposed to be older than Fieval, but the adult versions just sound so much older and less natural to me. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Please do yourself a huge favor and watch this clip from the ‘78 Body Snatchers movie RIGHT NOW! :D

https://youtu.be/AocjvWQVi0A

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 30th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Nebula 75 is still going strong, and continues to deliver an enjoyable mix of Fireball XL5/SuperCar-inspired goodness. :) A fourth episode in the series was released today, accompanied by an authentic sponsored advertisement:

For those interested .. the series, thus far (each episode is roughly 15 minutes) :

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2020, 1:27 am

David Cronenberg appearing on Jonathan Ross (I think it’s sometime in the mid-80s since he’s promoting Naked Lunch)....kinda interesting. :)

https://youtu.be/XTH8ObFuKVM

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 12th, 2020, 5:36 pm

This is the “Let’s get nuts!” scene from Batman 89; it also includes the “Let me tell you about Jack,” speech. Over the years I’ve never quite understood the point of that “story”, but recently I’ve been thinking about it, and I truly believe that it has nothing to do with Jack Napier but everything to do with Bruce Wayne.

Bruce is in every way talking about himself; his speech reflects his own self-loathing. (“...head full of bad wiring.”). Basically it’s his way of telling the Joker: “I’m just like you...that’s why I’m not afraid.” Hence: “I know who you are.”

Also I love that Bruce faints after the Joker asks him THAT question. It makes so much sense now.

https://youtu.be/9OufCgFZCyU