Hamilton

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Hamilton

Post by Dan » February 3rd, 2020, 6:07 pm

Figured we can post this here. 8)

It was officially announced that there will be a film translation of Lin-Manuel Miranda's mega hit musical Hamilton.

The details are:
  • It will be produced by Disney (haven't said yet under which banner it will be released through)
  • The original Broadway cast will reprise their roles
  • It will be filmed onstage at the musical's home The Richard Rogers Theatre
  • The scheduled release date is presently set for October 15, 2021
Link to Miranda's Twitter Post

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Hamilton

Post by droosan » February 3rd, 2020, 6:57 pm

For a brief moment upon seeing this topic title, I allowed myself to speculate that this would be an animated adaptation in the style of Schoolhouse Rock. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 3rd, 2020, 8:30 pm

My dreams of "1776 II" were shattered when they announced the stage-concert version, and no mention yet whether it would be headed to Fathom.

Cats as a stage-concert video over a big-budget adaptation, maybe, but... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 5th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Interesting. Gives people an affordable and more convenient way to see the musical. Eh, doesn't do much for me still...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 12th, 2020, 10:31 am

It seems they filmed the performance before the pandemic hit as the film will be launching on Disney+. 8)

I rather like that it's launching on July 3.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2020, 11:08 am

It was shot in 2016, toward the end of the original run with Lin. They had been sitting on it for a long while, finally selling it to Disney last year for a theatrical release this Christmas. So this is a very early shift to D+, or very late if you consider the 2016 date!

It’s purposely launching July 3 for the holiday weekend...hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for it to come to D+UK (haha, Duk! That’s gonna be my name for it now).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 12th, 2020, 1:30 pm

I'm pretty happy about the news. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I admit I have only listened to the cast recording, but I really don't understand the praise for this musical. I had no idea what was happening within the story, I didn't find any of the tunes memorable. And if I'm being honest, I found Miranda's songs for Moana fairly pedestrian as well. Maybe I'm too old school and prefer my musicals more ALW than hip hop.

I find it interesting that they bumped it onto D+ when it's premiere was planned for after the Pandemic. The articles I've read kind of implied it may have been as Oscar-buzz movie. Is dumping it on D+ a sign that the production ofthe shoot ended up more filmed for TV than Cinema?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 16th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm
The articles I've read kind of implied it may have been as Oscar-buzz movie. Is dumping it on D+ a sign that the production ofthe shoot ended up more filmed for TV than Cinema?
They're reportedly planning on keeping the concert as a streaming feature, and keeping the "real" Big Oscar-Buzz Theatrical Film Version as an option years down the road. (When film production resumes.)

And hoping the industry will have stopped giggling about Cats by then.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm

The "concert" and the "big Oscar buzz" version are one and the same thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Ben wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm
The "concert" and the "big Oscar buzz" version are one and the same thing.
No, NOW there's talk of an additional "real" narrative theatrical movie, at a future date, now that the concert one has been downgraded to streaming, not to mention removed their chances of an Oscar.
Still up in the air, at this point, depending on how the D+ version goes over.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2020, 5:40 am

Actually, the movie-movie version has been being developed since that 2016 show was filmed, but Lin wanted a break, went off to work on other projects, and still has In The Heights to release. They originally shot the show for posterity but, knowing a full feature would be some ways off, decided on the theatrical approach for it. A feature is coming, but not for a long while, so this will plug the gap for now, but to say either one has Oscar buzz is frankly foolish...the show recording would always be seen as just that, while a movie could eventually turn out to be awful in reality. As of right now, there is no Oscar buzz around Hamilton, and won’t be until a movie is in production and probably has a new song added to it so as to qualify for the Oscar song category.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Ben wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 5:40 am
As of right now, there is no Oscar buzz around Hamilton, and won’t be until a movie is in production and probably has a new song added to it so as to qualify for the Oscar song category.
(And let's be honest--It's the Chicago Factor:
Musicals ALWAYS have "Oscar buzz?" the moment they're announced for a December/Christmas release, for no other reason than they're opening at Christmas..."Into the Woods", anyone? "Les Miserables"? And don't make me bring up "Nine". :lol:
Yes, even Cats was considered a "surefire Oscar watch" on entertainment-buzz radar, the summer before.

Spielberg's "West Side Story" is slated for third-week/Christmas, if all goes well; any gambling souls care to test the theory?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Nine is awesome.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 22nd, 2020, 12:52 am

"Just you wait..."