WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2020, 1:19 am

And given Warner, I'm guessing the "Two bonus movies" are the two P&BB Get Married movies, and that we will have to look elsewhere for "A Man Called Flintstone"?
(Or is it AMCF + the "Flintstones Christmas Carol", where everyone's sick with the flu?)
gaastra wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 9:06 pm
Some people think the dvd set is not the same set but a side set for the spin-offs and newer stuff. Their may be two sets. So none of those could be in the main set.
That's been the pattern so far with Warner's resentment toward "Collector's editions":
They never release a limited-retail Collector Edition without the scaled-down mass-retail 1-2 disc Best-Of edition, to sell to "normal" folks in the big-box stores, hoping that bigger mass-sales numbers prove that "THEY love our reduced crap because they're not anal-retentive about it like you geeks are!", and use that as an excuse to further scale down or phase out future physical collector-editions.

They're the Donald Trump of home-theater companies, who stop at no depths hoping to prove their own paranoid delusions Right.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am

Well the good news (simply following the link!) is that it’s A Man Called Flintstone.

The bad news is that the other one is some WWF Smackdown thingy that I didn’t even bother to remember the name of properly. I think it’s a recent thing, and therefor totally redundant in this set when there are many other specials that should have easily beat its inclusion.

Bad artwork, and a lame "movie". Oh well, at least we get all of the show and the original feature. Wonder if it will retain the cartoon Columbia logo?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2020, 5:15 am

Ben wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am
Well the good news (simply following the link!) is that it’s A Man Called Flintstone.
Oh. THAT link. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 22nd, 2020, 9:08 am

I wondered about the Wilma Columbia logo, too. But I doubt it, as it was not on the DVD. Kind of wish I had kept my LaserDisc. But maybe they will surprise us.

But the WWF thing?! Blech. I do actually have it (only because I bought it dirt cheap), but I agree that many different movies/specials could have been chosen instead - especially the wedding and baby movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 22nd, 2020, 9:44 am

Yeah they could have done the 30 min psa films for electric co or bush beer or the hour long specials flintstones meet rockula and frankenstone, little big league, or flintstone christmas special. (also called flintstones save christmas)

Would have been a great place to sneak in Alice in wonderland: what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this. Fred and barney are in it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 22nd, 2020, 11:29 am

While I like Stone Age SmackDown, its inclusion is totally random. Yes, the cover is awful!

Seeing as I already own the individual seasons sets, I'm passing. Happy with what I have, especially with how often I realistically watch it.

What I'm wondering is if this set will have the same masters as the ones on HBO Max. If so, many episodes have scenes before the theme missing. Most are teasers, but the majority have crucial plot points not repeated. That's a huge deal breaker. They're meant to be there and were on the DVDs. Nix those, the set really isn't "Complete"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 22nd, 2020, 11:49 am

gaastra wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 9:44 am
Would have been a great place to sneak in Alice in wonderland: what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this. Fred and barney are in it.
I saw that H-B Alice in Wonderland special years ago, as part of an animation festival in Pasadena .. I've long hoped to see it get a WA release, someday. The Fred & Barney song ("They'll Never Split Us Apart") is great fun .. IIRC, it was included on the Modern Stone-Age Melodies CD. :)

--------------

Though I also own all six of the season DVD sets of The Flintstones .. along with The Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Show set, The Man Called Flintstone, and all of the various WA Flintstones 'specials' .. I did buy The Jetsons and the Jonny Quest blu-ray sets (despite also already owning them on DVD), and those are absolutely gorgeous.

So, it may not be a 'day 1' purchase .. but I might decide to 'upgrade' eventually (depending upon forthcoming details/reviews of the BD set).

/and yeh; cover art (for both Flintstones & Bugs Bunny) is hideous .. but that's almost expected, these days

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2020, 3:56 pm

Rand and I are waiting for the Archives to issue the excellent Yabba-Dabba-Doo: The Happy World of H-B retrospective that Gene Kelly hosted in 1977. There was a 1979 "sequel", The Hanna-Barbera Hall of Fame: Yabba Dabba Doo II, with Bill Bixby, that would make for a crazy good double bill set.

The first one was shown here around 1983 and we taped it...yet another VHS I wish I still had!

How awesome if WB had added another couple of discs and included all the classic-era specials. I love Rockula & Frankenstone!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 22nd, 2020, 7:15 pm

There was a 1979 "sequel", The Hanna-Barbera Hall of Fame: Yabba Dabba Doo II, with Bill Bixby, that would make for a crazy good double bill set.
That second special is on boomerangs streaming service but i never watched it. Might have to watch it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm

There we go.

The Man Called Flintstone, The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones, The Flintstones: I Yabba Dabba Do!, The Flintstones: Hollyrock-A-Bye Baby, The Flintstones & WWE: Stone-Age Smackdown, The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone & The Fllntstones' Little Big League.

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/The-Flintst ... VD/213460/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm

Ben wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 3:56 pm
Rand and I are waiting for the Archives to issue the excellent Yabba-Dabba-Doo: The Happy World of H-B retrospective that Gene Kelly hosted in 1977. There was a 1979 "sequel", The Hanna-Barbera Hall of Fame: Yabba Dabba Doo II, with Bill Bixby, that would make for a crazy good double bill set.

The first one was shown here around 1983 and we taped it...yet another VHS I wish I still had!
I remember that special, and yes, THAT'S what you put on a bonus disk.

I don't recall the Bixby special, though, and am about to leap into an obsessive YouTube hunt.
Daniel wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 11:29 am
While I like Stone Age SmackDown, its inclusion is totally random.
I hadn't watched it (obviously), but took one look at the SASD screenshots on gaastra's link, and...YIKES. :shock:

This is what happens when you still trust classic cartoons to Warner/CN, who believes their own self-loathing that all vintage H-B has to follow John K.'s "kitschy" lead.
That's why we don't trust them with Bugs or the DC Comics characters, either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 22nd, 2020, 11:23 pm

gaastra wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm
There we go.

The Man Called Flintstone, The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones, The Flintstones: I Yabba Dabba Do!, The Flintstones: Hollyrock-A-Bye Baby, The Flintstones & WWE: Stone-Age Smackdown, The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone & The Fllntstones' Little Big League.
Huh; so, basically: a set containing all of the WA Flintstones titles, except the Christmas specials.

It'd be nice to see the retrospective special(s) Ben mentions above .. as well as the AiW special, and the late-70s Saturday morning Fred & Barney Meet the Schmoo & The Flintstones Comedy Hour series, as eventual WA releases. Perhaps if this new compilation & BD set sell well .. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 23rd, 2020, 12:52 am

gaastra wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm
There we go.

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/The-Flintst ... VD/213460/
But just DVD. Too bad, At least they will all be on pressed discs this time.

I'd also love to see more Saturday morning Flintstones come to the Archive, or retail, of course.

Say, Eric, if you DO find that special, let us know! We haven't been able to locate it.

That Alice special would have been PERFECT for the Blu-ray set, but rights issues have likely been what's kept it from ever having a home video release. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2020, 7:00 am

See, now I’d be tempted to get that DVD, since I never got the Archive singles, but I have Man Called... already, and then it’s been announced for the BD along with that WWF thing, so a lot of redundant overlap. Nicer to put a Blu out of *just* the specials including the Crimbo ones...would be better collection AND they could have included it as a "bonus" in the BD set. But, no...they don’t think that far ahead...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 23rd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Only 60 7 min shorts for $70? So the 6 disk is bull. And yes looks like the other dvd set is not part of this. Unless you want to funko pop just wait for the single release.

What a letdown.

https://www.amazon.com/Bunny-Anniversar ... ayforum-20
Elmer’s Candid Camera
A Wild Hare
Hold the Lion, Please
Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
Super Rabbit
Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
What’s Cookin’ Doc?
Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
Hare Ribbin’
The Old Grey Hare