YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 5:18 pm

I remember going to see this in 1989 (back when we had to wait a year for the new Disneys) and being wowed by the shot, when Fagin goes to see Sykes on the end of the pier, that had Sykes' CG wireframe car that the camera trucks up and rotes around. It was such a solemn, serious moment, coupled with this amazingly timed, serious shot, and seriously impressive, and my friend and I both looked at each other with semi-jaw-dropped grins. Even though looking back now, you can see the wireframe and how they couldn’t yet have curved edges, it’s still an impressive shot.

The second shot I really loved — in a film that has a great feeling of the classic Disney touch along with the nudging towards modernity — is why Sykes meets his end on the bridge. Car comes in from the left, and *just* exits on the right as the train smashes in from the right, destroying the car and Sykes, in one of the first and only practically on-screen deaths in a Disney animated film, certainly up there with the likes of Clayton's hanged body shadow in Tarzan a decade later.

Underrated even today, I always find it cool when Oliver gets new fans. Too often the Renaissance is said to have begun with The Little Mermaid, but the groundwork for all that was to follow was laid by The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company, including the lyricist of that terrific opening song, Once Upon A Time In New York City...one certain Mr Ashman!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 18th, 2020, 6:05 pm

IMHO, "Perfect Isn't Easy" was the true 'harbinger' of the direction Disney was to take, for the following decade .. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Written by the Divine Miss M's longtime collaborator Barry Manilow!

And containing another memorable moment — that staircase at the end was an anticipated short for us, ever since we saw a pencil test over a year before!

While it is the most "Broadway Disney" song in the score, it’s never been my favorite in this film: precisely because it’s not as modern as the others, and because it’s a total showkiller, bringing everything to a crashing halt just to give a character (and the studio's star signing, of course) a big number. On its own it’s fine, and yes it does point to what as to come. Still, it is better than Streets Of Gold!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 25th, 2020, 8:20 am

Vintage French Star Wars disco ballet spectacular!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2020, 9:28 am

I believe I have this on vinyl. It’s always been somewhat awesome in its terribleness, but seeing visuals to it makes it even more so! 3PO and Vader having sparky dance between them!? Who was leading? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 25th, 2020, 4:31 pm

But it'll never outdo the late, great heyday of the Star Wars Dance-Off at the Disney parks:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 26th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Wow, a stop-motion animated "Nazis invade England movie!" Sounds good, right? I've gotta get that!

:roll:

Well, I'm glad I watched the trailer first...

:?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 26th, 2020, 2:35 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow...that was...trippy.

But interesting! Thanks for posting Rand! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 26th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I saw Jackboots On Whitehall when it was in theaters, in 2010. Its creators were obviously aiming for a Team America / South Park: BLU-type movie .. but it never quite reached those heights(?) .. IMO, the explosion FX guys got to have fun, at least. :wink:

I never bothered buying the movie on DVD or Blu-ray .. if that tells you anything. :|

However, I did buy the CD soundtrack composed by Guy Michelmore .. which I spin up, now & then; it's a pretty decent adventure score.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2020, 7:44 pm

I’d forgotten about that. With good reason. That movie is sh*t!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 27th, 2020, 12:12 am

Yeah, it’s definitely unpleasant; but so strange, which is why I thought it was “interesting.” :?

I guess I really meant: “Interesting how bad it was,” so trailer was worth watching for sure. ;)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Hitler in a dress. Heh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Suponji Bobu! :mrgreen:

This is a rather well-done mash-up/tribute, IMO .. not sure I care to see it as an 'ongoing' series, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2020, 6:42 am

Daria: The Movie. (CollegeHumor)

I SO wish this was real!!! :cry: :o :) 8)

https://youtu.be/HBQXugKu8L4

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 16th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Interesting side-by-side comparison of the transformation/happy ending scene from the animated 1991 Beauty vs. the live-action version:

https://youtu.be/HRJRPkX0zQk

Kind of an interesting touch to have the enchantress show up again. Although in my opinion that kinda takes away from some of the mystery. :?

I’m also not too keen on how they almost immediately embrace in the 2017 version: the ‘91 film handled that perfectly in making both Belle and Beast somewhat hesitant at first. That’s why Belle is a bit shy and doesn’t kiss him until she sees his soul reflected in his eyes. That’s when she KNOWS, why she cries out: “It IS you!”

In the live-action version they seem comfortable with each other pretty much right away. It just feels so mechanical. :?