Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Randall » August 12th, 2020, 11:27 pm

I don't see this being too popular, but it harms no one. I'll be waiting, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 13th, 2020, 12:01 am

Yea, I still don’t see how this is any different from the recent Scoob and Trolls releases. And those you lost them 48 hours after paying for them.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2020, 6:06 am

Randall wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:27 pm
It harms no one.
Again, this is probably the difference between making films and just watching them, but I and a lot of my industry pals are very worried about this, as it sets a precedent for big studio vehicles to go straight to streaming.

Cool right?

But bang goes the artistic intent of filmmakers seeing their films in their rightful place on the big screen, and down go the budgets, meaning longer hours and lesser pay for those "below the line" people that make them. Not that some of those services could actually get any lesser pay as it is! And start to say goodbye to the theatres that won’t have the product or the financial incentive or viability to play them.

With respect, the likes of Trolls and Scoob actually did start something that is much bigger than many people realise. Mulan merely rubber stamps the start of the end of the theatrical experience, and the more people that "buy" this film are each hammering one more nail into that coffin...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 13th, 2020, 7:36 am

AMC opening next week. Regal opening back up also.

Shame disney couldn't have just waited.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/ ... 0the%20way.

I don't see this being too popular, but it harms no one. I'll be waiting, too.
It harms the weak movie chains and overseas chain that are open. Why do you think that video has the movie guy smashing the mulan display and the head of the france movie chains calling disney "backstabbers". They needed mulan to help restart the chains. It does hurt them. Mulan could have been a big hit.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 13th, 2020, 9:58 am

Okay, I hear ya. It is unfortunate that Disney is skipping theatrical in D+ countries. With American chains reopening, is it possible they'll change their mind? Maybe not.

My comment was made with the asumption that a wide theatrical release was not possible in the USA, and that only a streaming release was feasible. If American chains in particular are opening (their biggest market), then certainly it would have been preferable to see them at least try to release it theatrically. But, will ALL regions of the US allow openings? Perhaps things look too unsettled, given the ongoing crisis, but I agree that skipping theatres is a shame.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 13th, 2020, 11:41 am

There's a reason theater owners became so openly vocal when Universal made the sudden decision about Trolls, all while claiming it would "be opening in theaters on the same day it went to VOD" when it was extremely apparent that cinemas wouldn't be open at that time (drive-ins hardly count).

And at the risk of seeming something like a hypocrite since I did do the site review and liked the film, there was something about it that still felt like "cheating" while doing it, like opening a present before Christmas or something. It felt like I wasn't seeing it in its intended format. Which of course I wasn't ultimately (and yeah, I also did it on the laptop so capturing screen grabs would be easier).

In Universal's case, it felt like they were using the crisis as an opportunity to experiment with whether or not it worked (which is up for debate, as some articles claimed it "made more money than the original" while Variety claimed a few days later that it "may not make any money at all"). And SpongeBob has already been pulled from theaters...even though it won't go to VOD until 2021, when (hopefully!) movie theaters will be up and running like normal again.

But with Mulan, Disney was placing themselves out there as "the film that would help re-open theaters", and there was even talk of the movie (and Tenet) having a longer theatrical run in light of how limited theater capacity might be. That's all fallen apart now, and while Disney is claiming The New Mutants will go to theaters at the end of August, it's looking unlikely they'll actually do that on a full wide release level (even with some theaters “re-opening” in a few weeks). As for Mulan going to theaters in China? Once they release it digitally here, good luck keeping those bootlegs off the internet over there. And even with Nolan being a public champion for movie theaters, it looks like Tenet has fallen out of his hands now, as that's probably going to play in a handful of IMAX screens before going to VOD itself.

It's all very alarming, especially for those of us who not only love our blockbusters with the BUDGETS they require in order to pull this sort of thing off, but also those who live in smaller areas with only one movie theater. Who knows if my theater will even be able to stay open? :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 13th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Tenet pre-orders are exploding in the uk! Looks like people want to go back to the movies.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainment ... li=AAgfYGb

AMC will be 15 cents on first day.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/amc-to-se ... next-week/

Disney should have waited.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 13th, 2020, 4:22 pm

That's becoming your catchphrase. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 13th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Better catchphrase then "ouch i stubbed my toe." :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 13th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Dacey wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:41 am
In Universal's case, it felt like they were using the crisis as an opportunity to experiment with whether or not it worked (which is up for debate, as some articles claimed it "made more money than the original" while Variety claimed a few days later that it "may not make any money at all"). And SpongeBob has already been pulled from theaters...even though it won't go to VOD until 2021, when (hopefully!) movie theaters will be up and running like normal again.
Specifically, while Warner and Paramount were experimenting with "Does this mean that people LIKE $30 Digital VOD now, now that they're forced to?", Universal, who started Digital Pandemic-ploitation, was still obsessed with "Aha, now they're FORCED to want In-Home Digital Premieres!", like they'd been quixotically pursuing since 1983.

It's nice to hear industry articles remember the time they were slapped down in '11 for trying to charge us $50 for "Tower Heist". Does so much of my work for me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2020, 9:46 pm

The real sad thing is that Disney, in its desperation or greed, is not even letting Mulan go out "day and date" on streaming *and* theatres, even in the countries that *are* open, would welcome the film and the opportunity, and have *asked* Disney to provide it, even if it goes to D+ at the same time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 14th, 2020, 10:34 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 14th, 2020, 1:45 pm

I remember when I first posted that song before the end of the world. It's growing on me!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 14th, 2020, 5:45 pm

That song is probably the best of the new songs from the remake series. Shame it isn't about another 30 seconds longer.

Before Disney decided to dump Mulan on Disney+ I had been thinking about the situation songs like Loyal Brave and True and No Time To Die and the Oscars were in. They were all released before Covid cancelled their movie's release, if the new Bond movie isn't released until after the 2021 Oscars would it still be eligible. I would imagine that the Academy would tweak the rules to allow songs that were released in a different eligibility year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 15th, 2020, 4:27 am

So...short? ;)