New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Randall » August 20th, 2020, 12:44 am

I still contend that there may be other, less noble Skrulls out there. I can't accept that they're all friendly-like.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2020, 4:50 am

I love how Eric thinks the directors have a choice in what happens in these films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 20th, 2020, 7:37 am

Both live action garfield movies are showing up again in search but if you click on them you get a error. Not sure what's going on there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 20th, 2020, 9:53 am

Mandalorian Season 2 trailer during basketball game?

https://lrmonline.com/news/scoop-mostly ... -tomorrow/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 21st, 2020, 9:30 am

Added today--

The one and only ivan
Beauty and the beast live action
Back to the titanic
Mars one day on the red planet

That's it. What couldn't throw in some classic cartoon shorts to fill it up more?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2020, 10:08 am

Why aren’t they charging $30 for one-time theatrical Ivan?

Are they saying it’s — shhh! — not that good? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm

I think that's why the news of charging for Mulan has left a sour taste in my mouth. Why is the company happy to dump some movies that were going to theatres without charge but then want to charge for Mulan. I understand the business side of the decision I really do, but it does just comes across as being greedy and 'manipulating' people to sign up for the service just to see Mulan. Regardless of the quality of the 'dumped' movies, it does cause confusion when movies like Artemis Fowl and Hamilton (and the others) are available under the regular subscription but Mulan requires additional payment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 21st, 2020, 8:45 pm

The reason is that Mulan had a huge budget while the others didn't.
Last edited by Farerb on August 21st, 2020, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 21st, 2020, 10:36 pm

Disney paid $75 million for the rights to the "Hamilton"

https://deadline.com/2020/02/disney-pai ... 202849929/

When Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted the news Monday that the movie adaptation of his groundbreaking Broadway show Hamilton was set for release by Disney in fall 2021, he omitted one of the most breathtaking parts of the deal.

According to sources, Disney beat out other suitors and paid $75 million for worldwide rights to the show that won 11 Tony Awards in 2016, as well as the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Disney won the deal with a commitment for a wide global theatrical release for the 2 hour, 40 minute movie, which was shot two weeks before the original cast left.

I can’t think of an acquisition of a finished film that has gone for more money than this one. It is, however, a seminal cultural zeitgeist event and, as Miranda himself has said, the movie allows people to avoid having to pay $500 a seat, which they were before the original cast and he moved on. You could hardly call this profligate spending, given that when Hamilton finishes its traditional theatrical run, it will then become a major title on the Disney+ streaming service.

They spent a good chunk of money on it. It was not $30.

Funny thing is disney hollywood studios has a sneek peek of mulan at the park. On the news from the disney forums the first comment is "do you have to pay $30 to get in to see the sneek peek?"

Lol. The $30 jokes filled the forums!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 21st, 2020, 10:39 pm

$75 million is nothing. Most Disney's theatrical releases are $150 million to $200 million. Mulan was $200 million and that doesn't include the money spent on marketing before the film was supposed to be released.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 21st, 2020, 11:26 pm

Artemis Fowl's budget was apparently $125 million and Disney was happy to put in on Disney+ for 'free' and that's one reason why people are angry or upset. Also I know Onward was released in cinemas (and got 2 weeks there) but it got thrown onto Disney+ with no additional charge.

I know it's Disney's right to change their business but I don't think it's a wise move. I have subscription television here in Australia. And they have been given some covid affected releases for rent for under $30, it's how I watched Onward (in had a 2 week window before being shipped off to Disney+ for free) but the thing is that service has always had pay per view options (including movies that were in the cinema at the same time) available so I didn't blink twice. They also have regular rentals of new release for home video which I am happy for because that's what I've signed up for an expect. That's not what Disney+ offered. And here in Australia a few movies that got cinema releases in the US were snapped up by streaming services and by passed the cinema ie Isn't It Romantic got a Netflix release and Military Wives appeared on Stan without going to cinema. And neither service asked me to pay on top of my subscription fee.

In fact, and this may sound bizarre, if Mulan was dumped on subscription television (for 2 weeks before Disney+) I probably would fork out the money but when Disney has advertised + as their version of Netflix and then picks and chooses which movies you have to pay additional for it just looks money hungry. I feel the same way that they conveniently removed the 1 week free trial just before Hamilton dropped. But at least for the Hamilton fans and curious people it only set them back $6 or whatever the price is now if they wanted to view it.

I have a friend who was super keen for Mulan but she isn't impressed with having to sign up to Disney+ and then pay $30 so to quote her 'I'll wait until it's available else where'

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2020, 4:48 am

The Irishman cost over $200m *and* had a big marketing spend (and a simultaneous if limited theatrical release). Netflix did not ask for any payment over the sub cost.

Ironically, Tenet is opening here this week in a very big way, with lots of "free" advertising due to it being a valid news story in being the first major release to get cinemas moving again. Mulan could have been sharing in that, but now it’s just going to be "thrown away" and disappear on a steaming service as a footnote. When it comes out in September (just when kids are all supposedly going back to school? Great timing!) they could have had a lot of exposure and a pretty substantial return ON TOP of an accelerated or even simultaneous D+ release.

Artemis, BTW, had a budget nearer $200m as well, with the reshoots and marketing spend (including the D+ campaign). $125m was the budget...not what it actually cost.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 22nd, 2020, 11:05 pm

https://deadline.com/2020/08/disney-add ... 203020104/
Disney will release Mulan, its forthcoming premium VOD attraction, to Disney+ subscribers paying an extra $30 for it via Apple, Roku and Google platforms in addition to Disney’s own website.

Earlier this month, the company revealed its plans for the major title during its quarterly conference call with Wall Street analysts, ending feverish speculation about the company’s COVID-19 strategy. It said it would allow Disney+ subscribers to unlock “premier access” to the film on September 4 “on select platforms,” but did not identify those partner entities.

Amazon Fire TV is not on the list of confirmed distribution outlets. The tech platform also was a holdout on Disney+ when it launched last fall, though it wound up reaching a deal to carry the $7-a-month service. HBO Max and Peacock, two new streaming entrants, are not currently available on either Amazon or Roku, which combined reach more than 80 million U.S. homes.

Involving third parties means sharing a cut of each transaction, typically ranging from 20% to 30%, which will reduce Disney’s proceeds at a sensitive time. Given the importance of customer satisfaction with such a high-profile offering, though, that sacrifice in revenue could be worth it for a more seamless experience. “The implication,” LightShed Partners analyst Rich Greenfield tweeted, “is Disney+ subscribers will be able to use in-app purchase on Apple, Google and Roku devices rather than having to buy on Disneyplus.com and then return to the device of choice.”

Instead of replicating the move of Hamilton to Disney+ last month as an enticement for new streaming subscribers able to watch the feature for free, Disney opted to add the $30 charge. The company has not indicated when regular subscribers to Disney+ will be able to see Mulan, which cost an estimated $300 million to make and market, as part of their subscriptions. The live-action remake of Disney’s animated film is getting a theatrical release in certain territories, though not enough to bring in the $1 billion-plus at the box office than more than a dozen 2019 Disney releases grossed.

“We thought we would give it a try,” CEO Bob Chapek reasoned, “to try to recapture some of that investment that we’ve got.” He called the move a “one-off” and “a chance to learn.” At a $30 price point, the company could recoup a good amount of its investment, plus a major new title “also acts as a fairly large stimulus to sign up for Disney+.”

Last edited by gaastra on August 23rd, 2020, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2020, 5:23 am

This whole thinking is all over the place. Seems so knee-jerky, not something that the well-planned and thought out Disney usually does. Yeah, we’re in new and different circumstances, but you’d think they wouldn’t have openly looked so desperate and scattershot. If I was someone who already "bought" the D+ access, I’d be peeved that I couldn’t now "keep" it without continued subs, when now those other outlets allow you to do so. And still why not offer it to cinemas ready and willing to play it!!?!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 23rd, 2020, 4:22 pm

They thought they'd have "exclusivity" rights with their own subscribers (since most services' income comes from new subscriptions), and then discovered...their own subscribers were the one people who DIDN'T want to pay for it, because it "should" have been on the service, and they'd announced it was coming anyway.

Now, if they want to be Trolls: World Tour, they must do as the Universals do...