WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by Randall » September 18th, 2020, 12:20 am

And somewhat surprisingly, with some extras!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 6th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Next up--

NEW 2020 1080p HD masters
JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (1970-71)
Run Time: 344:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: 2 BD-50
Special Feature: The Irresistible Charm of Dan DeCarlo: The Man and his Art.

They’re back - and better than ever in High-Definition Blu-ray! All 16 episodes of the hit animated adaptation of the beloved comic-book series are here, as the all-girl rock band led by guitarist Josie, along with Pussycats Melody and Valerie, sing their catchy tunes through exotic adventures and fabulous hair. They are joined by Josie’s devoted boyfriend Alan, their manager Alexander, his trouble-making sister Alexandra, and her not-to-be-forgotten mischievous feline Sebastian (voiced by Hanna-Barbera’s legendary Don Messick).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Oh, my. Why did we buy all those DVDs again? ;)

That said...I feel we're going to start to hear that old barrel being scraped fairly soon...the DVDs were already better than how these shows were originally seen, and intended to be consumed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 6th, 2020, 9:37 pm

I have actually been watching my Josie DVDs recently, and they look just fine. And, yes, already better than when originally broadcast. I can't see the BD really offering much of an upgrade.

And if I am not that concerned about upgrading to a Blu-ray, then you know this is barrel-scraping!

At least Scooby gave us upgraded video from the old interlaced transfers, and Jetsons offered interstitials. I don't see Josie giving us anything substantially new or improved.

Still tempted on Space Ghost, though...!
Last edited by Randall on October 7th, 2020, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2020, 5:26 am

I’ll probably pass on the Scooby series, but get the Movies someday, and Jetsons eventually. I have Jonny already. Space Ghost tempts as I don’t think I ever got the DVD for that. Will pass on Flintstones, at least until reviews come along, and Josie will also likely be passed over. There’s only so much second and third grade stuff that one/I/we can keep buying over and over again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Why has the hanna barbera big screen movies not been released on blu-ray yet like hey there it's yogi bear, jetsons the movie (not owned by wb???), rock odyssey, animal farm, gobots battle of the rock lords (owned by paramount. Why not release this paramount?), and heidi's song?

Man called flintone will be in the flinsstones blu-ray set right? We need a single blu-ray release of it. Has the two top cat big screen films been released on blu-ray yet?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 7th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Or how about H-B's live-action movies, like C.H.O.M.P.S...?

jk; I have C.H.O.M.P.S. on dvd .. and there's really nothing about it that a 1080p transfer could 'improve'. :lol:

Though it is amusing to see the iconic H-B studio building used as the filming location for the movie's fictional 'Norton Security Systems' (whoa; prescient company name, H-B) :o

---------------------

I'm a big Josie & The Pussycats fan (though -- admittedly -- moreso of the comic books, than of the 'Saturday morning' cartoons) .. but I'm not sure I 'need' to own it on Blu, either.

Perhaps I would've been tempted, if it'd been bundled together with its In Outer Space sequel series ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2020, 11:10 pm

gaastra wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm
Why has the hanna barbera big screen movies not been released on blu-ray yet like hey there it's yogi bear, jetsons the movie (not owned by wb???), rock odyssey, animal farm, gobots battle of the rock lords (owned by paramount. Why not release this paramount?), and heidi's song?

Man called flintone will be in the flinsstones blu-ray set right? We need a single blu-ray release of it. Has the two top cat big screen films been released on blu-ray yet?
Jetsons The Movie is coming soon on Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics, and it'll have some nice extras.
Animal Farm? You mean Charlotte's Web? :D
Man Called Flintstone will indeed be on the complete series Blu-ray set.
Top Cat The Movie is out on Blu-ray in the UK and Italy (in 3D, even). Top Cat The Movie and Top Cat Begins are out on (2D) Blu-ray in Mexico.
Rock Odyssey was shown perhaps once in a single theatre, so it's dubious to call it a theatrical release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 8th, 2020, 1:01 am

Randall wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 11:10 pm
Animal Farm? You mean Charlotte's Web?
Some pigs are more equal than Radiant or Humble ones.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 8th, 2020, 11:18 am

Yeah it wasn't hanna brbera but had a hanna barbera look. It's the 50s animal farm movie. Wrong studio so i messed up there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 8th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I guess the HB Charlotte has a bit of a Halas & Batchelor Animal Farm to it, if you squint a bit.

There’s a terrific Blu-ray available from Network in the UK. Cheap, good extras, and great restoration, though it’s Region B locked. There’s also a H&B shorts collection that's well worth a lookie too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Stone foxes, that's a fact. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2020, 4:55 am

That’s over my head, I’m afraid...!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 9th, 2020, 9:09 am

Rock odyssey did get released overseas and aired on cartoon network and boomerang in a few countries. America it only was shown once at a screening and was never shown again. It had the same fate as kidd video. All those songs they don't own and would have to pay for dvd and streaming rights! They asked wa for a release and they said it is to high price to release due to the songs!

It only showed up in a music video and clips on some hanna barbera song vhs tapes and that's it. Youtube copies are sped up also.

The movie is about a girl looking for love across the decades with jazz from transformers himself voicing a magic jukebox who hosts the film. Yogi bear has a cameo. The film went dark at times dealing with adult things like post war fears and death and a other things. It could get scary at times.

Here is some info.

Sped up clips.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2020, 10:17 am

Beee-zarre!!!

Guess it gives us kinda sorta a vagueish idea of what that early 80s Fantasia might have been like, although thank gawd that wasn’t ever made!

Would be rest to see this someday, despite it looking like it could get pretty tedious quite quickly!