Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » October 16th, 2020, 8:30 am

Today--

Clouds
Meet the chimps
Cheaper by the dozen 2 (steve martin remake)
Beverly Hills chihuahua
Iron man & Captain america: Heroes United
Rocketeer season 1

Have been added.

(plus new episodes of some shows on there.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 17th, 2020, 8:46 pm

https://deadline.com/2020/10/disney-rac ... 234598855/

It's not the "disclaimers" I'm bothered by. It's them getting into "specifics" which strikes me as more than a bit much. Especially when it comes to The Jungle Book, where for me at least it's a huge stretch.

I also don't think these films are "racist" so much as they are "products of their time," so even the claim that "these stereotypes were not okay then" isn't exactly the case either (if I’m making sense). :?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 17th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Warner LT/Tom & Jerry cartoon disclaimer:
"We are presenting these cartoons intact, with their outdated stereotypes that might now be considered offensive. Such ideas were wrong then and are wrong now, but to ignore them would be the same as saying they never existed."

Disney+ disclaimer:
"We are presenting these cartoons intact, with their outdated stereotypes that might now be considered offensive. Such ideas were wrong then and are wrong now, but to ignore them would be the same as saying they never existed...Isn't that progressive of us? We think it's NEAT! Check us out on our website, for more information!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2020, 9:07 pm

If you don’t please...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 18th, 2020, 10:18 am

From what I understand last year’s live-action “Aladdin” got some heat for having inaccuracies, but it had one very good correction that I was surprised no one commented on:

In the original 1992 version of “Prince Ali”, Genie/Robin Williams sings: “Brush up your Sunday Salaam”,

but Genie/Will Smith sings: “Brush up your Friday Salaam”, since Friday is the Muslim Holy Day, not Sunday.

True, “Sunday Salaam” sounds nicer to the ear, but at least Friday Salaam more accurately displays Muslim culture. I thought the change was pretty cool. :)

Also neat “duet” :)

https://youtu.be/3Qwhx86Qv4Y
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 18th, 2020, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

“Friend Like Me” version.

https://youtu.be/GuvmJTXIpOg

(Some might say the 1992 “baklava” reference is racist or whatever, but as someone who’s eaten it many times before, I guarantee you that ANYONE would be wishing for lots more of that if they tasted it even once! 😋)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 18th, 2020, 11:28 am

Oh my gosh, I LOVE baklava! We have lots of Mediterranean restaurants here (mostly Greek owners), so it us a bit of a staple when eating out. You're right--- I can't get enough of it!

The term "racist " is getting way overused these days, when a word like "stereotypical" is often more appropriate.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Once Upon a Snowman trailer:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 18th, 2020, 2:51 pm

When too much Olaf begins to be...too much Olaf...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Some bit of good news, they restored the Goofy smoking scene in Saludos Amigos.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 18th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Some bit of good news, they restored the Goofy smoking scene in Saludos Amigos.
And, as noted earlier, Pecos Bill's cigarette in Melody Time.

And I'm still putting money down that another un-PC restoration is the untold reason they're holding up on Make Mine Music and the inevitable double-feature DMC exclusive disc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm

The new show "Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom" is airing on Nat Geo. Random but a nice surprise. It's an enjoyable show. My favorite animal from the first episode was Popcorn the chicken. Poor thing what it went through.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 19th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Dacey wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 8:46 pm
https://deadline.com/2020/10/disney-rac ... 234598855/

It's not the "disclaimers" I'm bothered by. It's them getting into "specifics" which strikes me as more than a bit much.
This! :(. Absolutely abysmal idea. Ditto on not minding the disclaimers themselves, but telling people exactly why they’re offensive defeats the entire purpose of making people more informed/enlightened. Adults and children of all races should be trusted to work out for themselves why these images can be hurtful and offensive, despite the fact that it’s very likely that most of those images were not intended that way, and were simply a “product of their time,” as you said, Dacey.

Kids very well might:

A.). Be resentful that they have to read a paragraph on something that almost certainly never really thought about (cartoons being racist/stereotypical) when all they want is to watch Dumbo or Lady and the Tramp. This might actually start to evoke embryonic feelings of prejudice that might otherwise have never been there in the first place.

B.). Feel boredom and indifference. Thus making it even less likely that the child will be able to understand what prejudice is and what it really means. Meaning it’s possible that their eyes will glaze over every time they hear the word “racism.”

One word: Counterproductive.

EDIT: It’s not that I don’t think education on racism and prejudice is important...I absolutely do. That’s why I have no problem on the disclaimers.

I just feel that viewers should be trusted to reason on their own why EXACT details of something would be hurtful to someone else. I also very much support additional education through school and parental involvement. But there’s a time and a place for everything.

(I don’t want to say it all again, so I’ll just say two words: “Human beings”)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2020, 1:26 pm

Another thing to consider, some movies with the newly tacked on disclaimers aren't even present under a kids profile! Makes them even more pointless...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am

It's almost halloween! So we are sure to get spooky things like disney's halloween treat, watcher in the woods, 1001 lives of black jack savage, something wicked ths way comes, ernest scared stupid, donald's duck pibples, donald and the gorilla, mickey's house of villains, the mad doctor, and child of glass right? Right?

This week----

Once upon a snowman
The big fib
Toy story of terror (a halloween special!)
Gathering storms
India from above s1
Pomeii secrets of the dead

One halloween special. Sigh. Better then nothing.