WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2020, 5:59 am

I’m shocked...shocked, I tells ya, that Rand doesn’t know about this, given his fandom for not just the Flints, but Chuck too!

And there’s a screen credit I never thought I’d see: "Narrated by Charlton Heston, starring Fred and Wilma Flintstone"...!

Apparently Alan Reed's last Fred recordings. Although "anachronistic”, I liked seeing Fred in a modern car...he seemed quite comfortable driving around in that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 27th, 2020, 6:06 am

I saw it back in the day, and to this day, still remember that a BDOE = "Barrel of Oil a Day (or Equivalent)".
I had to look it up again, though, to remember what the heck that meant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 27th, 2020, 11:00 am

I had a vhs copy of that special from the pre dvd tape trade era of late 90s and early 2000s. (remember when cartoons could only be got in worn out with 80s commerials tape trades?)

Also had the beer factory promo and the alice in wonderland special with fred and barney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 27th, 2020, 11:04 am

Don't forget the say no to drugs special. All would have been better choices then the wwe movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Wow, had totally forgotten about that Alice special! Haven’t seen that since about 1983!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 27th, 2020, 2:19 pm

I have that Alice special somewhere on tape! Darn music rights. Maybe it will be released someday:

Ah nostalgia...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 27th, 2020, 10:25 pm

I have the Alice album. It's nice to have that version, but an actual copy of the show would be great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2020, 8:32 pm

I held the Flintstones set yesterday. That cover is even more hideously garish in person! They really could've been more creative...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Good news; all teasers are present! At least according to a user on another forum.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Aaaaroooooooooooooooogaaaaaaaaa...!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tex-Aver ... ay/273597/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 5th, 2020, 9:10 pm

I was just wondering a few days ago when (or whether) we might see a volume 2.

Good to know it's coming .. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 5th, 2020, 11:26 pm

That's a really solid month all-around. After disappointing with their releases last month, they really made up for it!

Curse of Frankenstein is a HUGE release for Hammer fans. Looks like all should be more than satisfied!

I watched The Harvey Girls and The Shop Around the Corner recently on Criterion Channel. I could do without Harvey, but Shop was a nice film with lovely character actors, plus Jimmy!

One could make a case for every release listed, but I may stick with Tex and Curse, though I may cave eventually for Shop.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2020, 4:59 am

Def in for Tex, obvs, but not much else for me otherwise: Harvey tempts because I haven’t seen it in like forever, though Shop I found a but too sentimental and slow, though it is a "nice" film. I gave up trying to collect every Hammer long ago, so only stick to the "big" releases (or films I have enjoyed): this may be one of them, though I’ll wait for reviews. I think it was Dracula that got a big Archive release and then the UK one had the right colour grading...?

The thing with Hammer, for me, is that I find a lot of their stuff is better labelled Hammy Horror, especially in the later years where they were flip-flopping between multiple distributors and budgets shrank to the rather embarrassing rubber bats in Scars Of Dracula. Don't get me wrong...some of the atmospherics and actors in them always gave their all, but many are basically cash grabs and/or schlocky. The first films in many of their series are the best, but I find I prefer their other, non-horror character films, ultimately.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 6th, 2020, 8:54 am

Dracula got a nice release in the UK first, with restored, previously cut, footage, and lots of extras. Years later, Warner Archive used the same elements with improved colour timing, but went overly dark, crushing the blacks; plus, no extras at all. Debate continues as to which flawed transfer is best. Overall, Germany's Anolis release is likely the best bet.

CoF got a nice special edition in the UK years ago, but the image was considered worse than Warner's old DVD. The original elements were said to be in horrible shape, but there were rumours that WA was doing a restoration. Their release has been greatly anticipated, and sounds better than expected, with the hoped-for restoration, 2 discs, 2 aspect ratios, and new extras.

If one were to own two Hammer horrors, these are the best 2.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Yay Tex! Great news. Unlike what the link shows, this comes out December 1st. I like the cover. Seems more classy and less slapped together like the first volume.
TEX AVERY SCREWBALL CLASSICS - VOLUME 2
New 2020 1080p HD Masters
Run Time: 149:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: 4x3, 1.37:1 Full Frame
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: BD 50
Special Feature: Documentary "Tex Avery: King of Cartoons"

Welcome back for another three-ring circus of animated comedy from the legendary leader of cartoon fun – director Tex Avery. In the first ring, Avery serves up some of his finest one-shot creations: cartoons featuring cats who hate people, wacky cuckoo clocks, kooky cavemen and lovelorn French fleas. We also meet up again with Avery's attractive Red Riding Hood, a pair of amorous wolves and his durable all-around fall guy, Spike. The second ring is a showcase for Avery's ironically deadpan "Happy Hound": Droopy. This time, Droopy appears in a number of guises – each one funnier than the last. As bandleader "John Pettybone," he leads his jazz-playing fleas to the heights of canine stardom. Out West, as a homesteader and a sheepherder, he has his final showdowns with the Wolf. The third ring offers a whimsical glimpse into the future – or at least a future from the POV of the mid-20th century – with a plethora of zany postwar inventions. While none of the cartoons "of tomorrow" foresaw smartphones or Blu-ray players, these far-fetched contraptions, gadgets, houses and farms, televisions, and various modes of transportation could only come from the madcap mind of Avery and his MGM crew. Uncut, restored and remastered in High Definition for the first time, Tex Avery Screwball Classics Collection Volume 2 is another must-own collection from the master of hand-drawn mayhem.

This 21 cartoon collection includes:

1 LITTLE RURAL RIDING HOOD
2 THE CUCKOO CLOCK
3 MAGICAL MAESTRO
4 ONE CAB'S FAMILY
5 CAT THAT HATED PEOPLE
6 DOGGONE TIRED
7 THE FLEA CIRCUS
8 FIELD AND SCREAM
9 THE FIRST BAD MAN
10 OUT FOXED
11 DROOPY'S DOUBLE TROUBLE
12 THREE LITTLE PUPS
13 DRAGALONG DROOPY
14 HOMESTEADER DROOPY
15 DIXIELAND DROOPY
16 COUNTERFEIT CAT
17 VENTRILOQUIST CAT
18 HOUSE OF TOMORROW
19 CAR OF TOMORROW
20 TV OF TOMORROW
21 FARM OF TOMORROW
"Magical Maestro"! And it includes all "of Tomorrow" shorts. "And the mother in law"... :D Great selection.