Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2020, 4:53 am

Disney+ isn’t about Disney or vintage programming any more, if it ever was.

Disney+, and Disney as a whole, is just Marvel and Star Wars nowadays. And sadly, as we know, that means slightly paler, cheaper versions of even those franchises.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 15th, 2020, 5:03 am

That's sad. To me Disney was always about animation. It's sad that it is no longer a priority anymore.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » November 15th, 2020, 4:03 pm

And I have no idea which "banned" site you're referring to
Blu-ray.com. For MANY reasons

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm

...None of which would ever be admitted to. Lots of gold there! (Kind of telling when there's more than one site...)

Think I got migraine trying to follow all that mumbo jumbo on "WandaVision". Practically foaming at the mouth for a show -- a streaming show at that -- shows some serious issues.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 15th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Ben wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 4:53 am
Disney+ isn’t about Disney or vintage programming any more, if it ever was.

Disney+, and Disney as a whole, is just Marvel and Star Wars nowadays
And National Geographic--Has anyone ever done a pie-graph of just how much NGC we get in every single monthly announcement?
Not getting the shows you want is one thing, but nothing will make you want to strangle a streaming network faster than knowing you're NOT getting them just to make room for more documentaries on walruses and the Pyramids.

It's easy to see why much of the fans' psychologically overblown "Give us Barabbas WandaVision!" frenzy is clearly more of a wild subconscious overreaction by Disney fans who were excited about the service a year ago, and are now starting to suspect...that they've been had. :?
Otis8 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Blu-ray.com. For MANY reasons
(Okay, so I apologize: The Ghostbusters remake was hilarious and we can't wait to see it on opening day, happy now? :roll: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 15th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm
...None of which would ever be admitted to. Lots of gold there! (Kind of telling when there's more than one site...)

Think I got migraine trying to follow all that mumbo jumbo on "WandaVision". Practically foaming at the mouth for a show -- a streaming show at that -- shows some serious issues.
I agree. I'll probably never watch it because I don't really watch many shows anymore. I only watch The Crown (season 4 is really good so far).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 16th, 2020, 2:05 pm

For the record, I'm interested in WandaVision because the trailers make the show look interesting, slightly amusing and it intrigues me. I have no plans to place it on a pedestal. If it sucks it sucks, if it's good it's good. I'm not hoping for it to launch Phase IV, I'm not hoping for it to be anything but a time waster. Although I do admit I am a little excited that it may open the door for the appearance of Wiccan and Speed which could lead to Young Avengers appearing in the MCU. But other than that no hopes at all.

And hey, there has to be some programming on Disney+ that will cause me to breakdown and subscribe right?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 16th, 2020, 6:30 pm

I'm still waiting for "What If?: the Series" (which I assume will be animated), which seems like a much more efficient way of bringing in The Watcher in time for MCU's "JJ-Abrams-Star-Trek Phase IV" reboot, where alternate universes can make everything up again from scratch.
At least we don't have to put up with rib-nudging issue-laden feminist paranoia that every single classic domestic retro-sitcom of the 50's and 60's that dared have a housewife and working husband in it was "against" them...

Although, if I had absolute Druthers, I'd rather MCU leave Endgame, and Tony Stark, as good-looking corpses, and move on to new areas or retire.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm

The MCU certainly needs to move on. That last Spidey film still had way too much Iron Man influence, as much as I enjoyed it.

I also look forward to WandaVision, just because it looks unique. And I'd rather watch an interesting failure (not that WV will necessarily fail!) than a bland "good enough" show (Mandalorian may qualify here).

I saw some What If footage at D23. It's CGI animation, but done to look "flat." Think Iron Man: Armored Adventures, but much higher quality. I thought it looked fantastic - enough to justify a D+ subscription all by itself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 16th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Randall wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm
The MCU certainly needs to move on. That last Spidey film still had way too much Iron Man influence, as much as I enjoyed it.
"EDITH" seems to be the motto of Phase IV-struggling MCU.

(It's also on the walls of Dumbledore's old office at Hogwarts. :P )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Well, we haven’t had a Phase 4 film yet, so...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Farerb wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 5:03 am
That's sad. To me Disney was always about animation. It's sad that it is no longer a priority anymore.
I’m written paragraphs about this subject, but this one pithy statement gets to the point much more elegantly! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 17th, 2020, 4:55 am

Ben wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:36 pm
Well, we haven’t had a Phase 4 film yet, so...
...(shrug) that would be why they're "Struggling". And have been, on the subject, for quite a few years now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2020, 6:45 am

Wait...I’m lost again. Who now? What now? Marvel "struggling quite a few years now"? What planet are you on...!? The three billion dollar grossing Infinity/Endgame double was just over a year ago!?

Reality to Mr Janssen... Reality to Mr Janssen... The looney in the White House is asking for his crazy back please. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 18th, 2020, 3:58 am

Ben wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 6:45 am
Wait...I’m lost again. Who now? What now? Marvel "struggling quite a few years now"? What planet are you on...!? The three billion dollar grossing Infinity/Endgame double was just over a year ago!?
N-n-no, Ben. Let's sit down. Deep breaths. Look at me. :shock: Are we sitting comfortably? Good.

Marvel--now, let's take this a step at a time--has been STRUGGLING (y'see?) to figure out what the Sam Heck they're going to do for an encore after Endgame, and they haven't figured it out yet. There are a couple big 2 & 3 sequels they promised they were going to make on Monday morning, but that's not a "shared universe strategy" like the last one was.
They've certainly had enough time, over the last three or four years since they announced they had a Phase III, and tried, and come up with three or four different ideas, and they keep seeing that those ideas don't work.

Remember when Captain Marvel ruined two of those ideas singlehandedly, the "Alien impostors" idea when the female director decided to go all Lifetime and antiwar, and the "Let's sell the heroines to the female fans" idea when all the other fans hated her?
Well, now they're stuck with just either "Alternate universe retcons", or "Let's give job upgrades to all the cheap new characters, and bring in those Fox ones we just got".
I don't know about you, but that pret-ty damn well sounds like "Struggling" to me. If we're thinking ahead.