Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by EricJ » February 2nd, 2021, 4:46 pm

No, I mean watching more than one episode at a sitting--
When you've got a channel like D+ that rarely HAS more than one original programming series to be hooked on (and few of them do), and no vintage content, the last thing you want to do is fish out the pond.

I remember the days when one episode was on per week, and waiting an entire week to find out whether Fearless Fonzarelli jumped the garbage cans seemed a torturous eternity.
With the new a la carte binge era of Crack-serials, I can afford to wait one night.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 2nd, 2021, 6:04 pm

It’s not that I can’t wait to watch the shows. It’s that I know as soon as I get on the web after just watching one or two, I risk the possibility of getting spoiled by those who did binge. I also like everyone being on the same page so we can actually discuss. What’s the chances you’ll find someone to talk to who stays exactly on pace with you when every episode is available.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm

Plus there are so many shows! I liked it when Sunday was Disney, Monday was 24, Tuesday was Quantum Leap, Wednesday was Dallas, Thursday was Homeland, Friday was Cheers or Frasier, and Saturday was Lois & Clark (aka The Teri Hatcher Hour, as we used to call it)!! I mean, not all on air around the same time in the same week, natch, but it was also something to look forward to and anchor the week. The thing with binging is that it then really does just become like a long movie, and when it’s over it’s over. The prolonged sheer pain between knowing if Jack Bauer was still going to be alive the following week was all part of the experience of watching shows like that in the first place!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 2nd, 2021, 8:06 pm

Not only that, but thinking in terms of entire seasons at a stretch--and that we're only watching "chapters", like a Saturday-afternoon serial, only nobody was killed off in those--has taken away our concept of Episodes.

We don't talk about the "seasons" of Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke or WKRP in Cincinnati, we talk about Chuckles the Clown, walnuts, and turkeys that, as God is our witness, we thought could fly.
Y'know, back before The Simpsons was the show that everyone had to know and culturally quote by individual episode.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 3rd, 2021, 12:36 am

I agree. I love the weekly show format. I hear complaints from people, too - even complaining that a whole season isn't dropped at once, when it's a brand-new network show! Good grief. Like there isn't plenty to watch all the time already.

And I think WV is handling its weekly format perfectly. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 6th, 2021, 10:43 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 22nd, 2021, 9:11 pm

Big hero 6 live action?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2021, 12:50 am

And yes, I first read "Live action BH6", thought it was going to D+, and fit it into the "Disney's only remaking the Forgotten 90's-00's" theory.
But it's MCU, so maybe they'll actually resemble the comic characters, this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 23rd, 2021, 7:21 am

Maybe it's a short cameo in dr strange 2 in a multiverse segment? Keep in mind this is still a rumor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2021, 1:11 pm

BH6 started out in an alternate-style "Marvel manga multiverse", so in addition to all the other Into the Spiderverse licks that DS2 will be borrowing, Hiro & Baymax's first MCU appearance will probably be playing the Penni Parker & Her Spider-Bot role.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 23rd, 2021, 2:58 pm

Last edited by Farerb on February 23rd, 2021, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2021, 3:04 pm

That was fun while it lasted. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2021, 7:51 pm

I am enjoying the Wanda of the Vision! Really nicely done, lots of neato drops for fans of both MCU and 60s sitcoms — I love how the writing is cheesy, but it’s the right side of cheesy! It’s kind of not even *knowing*, it's just...vintage!

Only seen the first two so far this week: we'll prob do another in tomorrow and another at the weekend before our next movies, but it’s good! Loving the production nods too: just the right kind of NTSC smudge on the image, and a bit of gateweave on the "film" (although, no, you wouldn’t get that on an NTSC video signal, or the smudge if they remastered from film, but it’s more about the aesthetics).

I’m hoping the *slightly* filler feel on some extended moments do turn out to have been there for a reason other than to just fill out the show, and by extension the series itself, but it’s a noticeably more impressive TV debut for the MCU than the perpetually hampered Agents Of SHIELD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2021, 9:45 pm

The devil is in the details! ;)

Glad you're enjoying it! Loving it so much.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 24th, 2021, 12:26 am

WandaVision is great! I loved the first eps, where it was "out there," but done so well and with a sinister undercurrent. You just had to know to trust Marvel with where it was going. And at episode 4, we get the big reveal, more character returns, and it just builds from there. And that last ep---! A totally obvious reveal for comic book readers, that somehow no one saw coming. Great stuff. If we do get a new Marvel show or film every week this year, this terrific start bodes very well! And knowing Marvel, it will all tie in together. Even What If will obviously jump off from the Multiverse angle nicely.