AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » March 16th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Coming soon--

Ewoks movies!
Clone wars 2d shorts!
Ewoks cartoon!
Cartoon short from the star wars holiday special!
Adventures in wonderland show
Third man on the mountain
Island on top of the world

Among others!

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-com ... l-2021-us/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2021, 7:13 pm

gaastra wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 6:40 pm
Cartoon short from the star wars holiday special!
I'm guessing their isolating the "good part" is Disney/Lucas's concession to all the kitschy fans asking for the whole special to be released, but also that music rights are also probably the reason we're not seeing the rest of it. No "conspiracy" here, fanboys.
Island at the top of the world
I keep WANTING to like this movie, hoping it'll be as good as the View-Master reels I had as a kid, and then I watch it and realize it's not real Jules Verne... :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2021, 10:19 pm

But it *was* awesome as a kid!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 19th, 2021, 3:26 am

Added today:

🇺🇸/🌎:
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier – Episode 1
Big Hero 6: The Series (Season 3)
Secrets of Sulphur Springs - Episode 8
My Music Story: Perfume
Mexico Untamed (Season 1)

🇬🇧:
neXt – Episode 2
Dollface – Episode 3
Ducktales (Reboot) – Season 3
My Name is Earl
Dr K Exotic Animal ER (Season 1–5)
The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

🇨🇦:
Big Hero 6: The Series (Season 3)
Before The Flood
Grown-Ish - Episode 1 (Season 3)
Genius (Season 2)

🇦🇺:
Grey's Anatomy - Episode 5 (Season 17)
Ducktales (Reboot) – Season 3
Arrested Development – (Season 1-3)

⭐:
Helstrom – Episode 6
Solar Opposites – Episode 6
Love, Victor – Episode 6
Big Sky – Episode 6

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2021, 5:38 am

Haha, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle... That was such a Thing at the time. Haven’t thought about that in ages. It was kind of hokey even then, so it's probably really over the top now, though it’s been unofficially remade and ripped off so much that there’s no way it’ll feel in anyway fresh to viewers coming to it for the first time now, but it was the prototype scary nanny/trusted family infiltrator movie for those that followed.

We'll watch the Wanda making of before we start Falcon, but that’s my next D+ fix. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 19th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Rebecca De Mornay was quite the hottie. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Although getting involved with her as that particular character would be a...risky business... :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 22nd, 2021, 8:57 pm

Disney plus has removed the masterlist "through the decades"! Needless to say some people are not happy with this!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2021, 3:03 am

It has been removed for almost a month. There's another way around it. Go to the explore tab and on that page click the "Walt Disney Animation Studios Collection" tile and it lists all the animateds through the decades.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2021, 2:34 pm

Black Widow coming to Disney+ AND in theatres, both on July 9.

Cruella is also getting the same treatment on May 28...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 23rd, 2021, 8:46 pm

And, as mentioned in its own thread, Luca is going straight to D+, no premium access.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2021, 10:45 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2021, 12:19 am

Well, it's all pretty fascinating from a historical perspective. My own feeling is that no one has ever felt comfortable with predicting where things would go (reluctant to envision the worst and even most likely outcomes), and everyone's still somewhat flying by the seats of their pants. Let's face it, it's a bad situation with no perfect answer to suit everyone. And Disney is obviously looking out for themselves, right or wrong.

Releasing BW to theaters any earlier wouldn't have made much sense, and the bottom line is that Disney is looking for a simultaneous worldwide release for it (for marketing and piracy reasons), without theaters actually being open everywhere. I understand the logic, though it would have been nicer to do a theatrical release first where possible - even for a couple of weeks - before going to D+.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2021, 6:53 am

Yes, exactly. Have at least a two-week "opening window" (I’d even say a month) and then go exclusively streaming after that, using the same promos ("in theatres May 31, on Disney+ one month later!"), though Disney is naturally trying to protect itself and claw back as much of the losses as it has made through movies, production and theme parks over the last twelve months.

And don’t forget that it’s headed up by a home video guy now, and one who hadn’t been particularly visible or genially "available" as Bob Iger was, and how any Disney CEO has and kind of should be. So that’s a bit of a concern.

But Disney is, somewhat understandably, being "greedy" in wanting cake and eating it too, simply because they are so starved, Disney+ aside. But this isn’t a sustainable way forward...

Black Widow will likely cause a bit of a bump, but which hardcore Marvel fans, after Wanda and Falcon, *don't* yet have D+? And even as a "fan" of the MCU I have to say that BW looks the least film I have any interest in on their upcoming schedule, and I can’t be the only one.

Likewise with Cruella. I’m pumped for that, but is it seriously going to generate the same kind of heat and excitement as a Marvel movie? With a dark look and a PG-13 rating? Is this nice family fare that families will pony up another $30 for when they saw Mulan being made available "for free" after a couple of months?

And, yes, BW will have the Marvel faithful built in, but how many of these $30 a pop releases will families keep shelling out for? While I think Widow will do fine, I fear Cruella will crash and burn, and the other element to this strategy is the lack of "event" feeling: when a movie hit theatres, you knew it, not just from marketing but from news items, other promotions, people talking about them, etc, even if they were flops! But streaming is the graveyard where movies go to die, or at least just become yet another oblong box in a sea of oblong boxes. There’s nothing special to it, no excitement, no opening weekend, no real reason to catch it in the first few days.

They just come and go. As will, I fear, Disney's major releases, as that article alludes to. Far from being the industry leader, D+ will burn itself out while all the other distributors and exhibitors work out decent windows and revenue sharing.

Or, you know, let the studios own their theatres again! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2021, 10:01 am

That last point isn't crazy, either.

I chuckled the other day reading an article claiming that BW was "one of Marvel's most anticipated releases." Really? By what standard?! Typical film industry hyperbole. It is more likely near the bottom of the list. I know that I am not all that excited for it, though it may turn out to be great.