DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2021, 9:47 am

One can see why Warner initially insisted that no new footage be shot. Snyder got his way, and Warner got a new headache.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 31st, 2021, 2:13 pm

Honest Trailer: (Warning for spoilers)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2021, 2:44 pm

Ahh, there we are! That’s the HTs we love...back on track!

This gets soo much right: "just stand next to Joss Whedon", "formatted a film for Imax knowing it would be released on a streaming service", etc.

Actually, watching this on a *big* screen, I found the framing way off. It’s clearly an Academy style open matte presentation, and everything felt kind of "small" in the frame. With the Avengers, the team filled the screen and felt intimidating or impressive: here with all the added space top and bottom, the League never felt "big" enough: I never felt in awe of them, or that impressed. They’re just kind of there, standing around most of the time, and the almost Academy size frame just killed it. Maybe it works better on a small screen, but I’ll certainly be blowing up my disc to fill my screen, as the theatrical did, based on frame comparisons. The frame is protected for 1.85 and looks so much better as such...why not offer us the option?

The HT made me laugh with spoofing all the talk scenes, and the mention of sloooooow-mooooootion; seriously they could have probably shaved off a half hour by reducing the amount of those shots! "No point of a Justice League once you've brought back Superman" - well, I wasn’t going to say it!

Also, does everyone know Superman is Clark Kent at the end? If not then how do they explain Clark Kent being back from the dead? And if everyone *does* know, then what’s the point of Superman continuing the charade of being Clark Kent!!?!???

So many questions! Like where the apparently around Martian Manhunter was the whole time! Loved the subtle Little Mermaid Aquaman touch too, and good to see I’m not the only one that can see the final "epilogue" scene fanbaiting for what it is.

"Wait! It's still not over? That was a natural place to stop!" Exactly!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2021, 7:58 pm

Ben wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 2:44 pm
And if everyone *does* know, then what’s the point of Superman continuing the charade of being Clark Kent!!?!???
He outed himself in the comics a year or so ago, so they're dealing with that question there, too. It's just so awkward.
Ben wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 2:44 pm
...and good to see I’m not the only one that can see the final "epilogue" scene fanbaiting for what it is.
Not to worry. That seems to be everyone's most hated thing about the film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2021, 8:18 pm

Funny how that has gone from "OMG, Joker is in it!", to "Oh dear, Joker is in it!"

Such a misguided addition that kind of actually undoes what had just been fixed! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2021, 9:57 pm

Randall wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 7:58 pm
Not to worry. That seems to be everyone's most hated thing about the film.
Haven't watched--Is it still the "Legion of Doom" scene (mixed with Warner's stubbornness to make a Deathstroke movie once and for all), that reminds us that no DC fan ever truly got over "Challenge of the Superfriends", no matter how much Warner told them to laugh at it and shame it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 1st, 2021, 4:53 am

No. You think it will be, but it’s an entirely different scene, somewhat bizarrely.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 2nd, 2021, 7:24 pm

Deleted extended version of Knightmare Joker scene:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2021, 7:38 pm

So now even the added deleted scene gets its own Director's Cut...!? :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2021, 5:06 am

The more I see this the more unfortunate it feels on the end of the film. Batfleck looks completely different due to losing some of his Batbulk, they’re totally clearly not in the same scene, and even the stand-ins aren’t as close as the scene needs because of Covid — why not have someone who was in each actor's bubble for the reverse shots so that they could be standing closer? One second Batman is looming over Joker and the next, as in the poster frame above, they’re obviously a mile apart!

I get he was adding the scene to try and set something more up, even when his original vision had been done and finished very nicely, but if it couldn’t have been done better than this then why bother?

Also, the "new" new line just sounds like a Blade Runner ripoff, like tears...in the rain...

Phooey! :x

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 4th, 2021, 6:12 am

Was casually browsing through my Pay TV movie section and I see that, in Australia at least, the Justice is Gray edition has been released. Considering I haven't sat down to watch the coloured version yet I cannot tell you what the Gray (man it pains me to spell that with an A) edition offers. I'm sure the cinemaphiles will adore it. And the Snyder fans will declare it as the second coming of Jesus.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Ray Fisher's tell-all exclusive. Absolutely wild.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 6th, 2021, 4:06 pm

At the risk of playing devil's advocate...and saying this as someone who more or less skimmed over the whole article...

As I said in my review, I went to Justice League twice in theaters (including on opening day). I live in an area with a heavily African American population, and there were a lot of black people in the audience both times. And they seemed to love Cyborg. Heck, they even seemed to like the now controversial "boo-yah!".

Now, of course, it sounds like he went through some real s*it here, but at the same time, I kind of hesitate to call Whedon a "racist" when ultimately he was hired to lighten up the movie (which itself was already, ironically, pretty lighthearted as Snyder was doing it) and gave ALL of the characters--not only Cyborg--more so-called "smile time."

And while I loved Fisher's take on Cyborg and think The Snyder Cut is all the richer for it, Cyborg is actually often a fairly laid back and fun-loving character in the comics, and in past cartoons. Again, not "endorsing" the changes so to speak--or some of the behavior Fisher apparently had to endure--but at the end of the day he was a supporting player here. If slashes were made to the runtime, it was inevitable that some of it would be content involving supporting characters. So I don't think that can entirely be blamed on them doing it because of his race, especially in these heavily socially aware times we live in.

Again, this is coming from someone who LOVED The Snyder Cut (including Ben's favorite ending), and from someone who has been a huge Snyder fan/defender for years--but even now I still can't say The Whedon Cut is the unwatchable mess that many made it out to be. Heck, I'd say it's a lot more satisfying than that other big movie of the holiday season of 2017 called The Last Jedi. But at the end of the day, Whedon was doing what he was hired to do, and the majority of what he seems to be under fire for today is from more than twenty years ago--which itself is kind of odd that it's coming out as "news" given that I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Whedon could be very temperamental to deal with (or, worded more harshly, was capable of being a jerk).

Again, I promise I'm not trying to be terrible (and I very much hope I'm not being that way), but I do worry about the current rhetoric that "white filmmakers can't tell black stories" or "male directors can't direct female stories" that seems to dominating the Hollywood press these days. At the end of the day, we are all supposed to be people living in harmony, right? And again, that doesn't excuse some of what Fisher went through here--but at the same time, I worry that he himself also shouldn't overgeneralize the entire African American population by behaving like he can account for what they all want and don't want from cinema.

Whew! I felt awkward doing this. Again, I really hope I'm not coming across as "out of line" here. If I am, I'm sorry.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 7th, 2021, 1:56 am

Nah, you're fine.

I think the racism angle is being played up too much, though increased sensitivity (from Johns and Whedon) may have helped. And the fight over "Boo-Yeah" is so dumb. I didn't' care for the cartoon's characterizations to start with.

I generally side with Ray, but wonder if he is being a little too quick with the racism charge. But, I wasn't there, so it's tough to judge.

I think Ray has a good point about Cyborg's outlook in the film. Vic was somewhat morose in the original stories (the first few issues of 1980s New Teen Titans), until meeting Sarah and the amputee kids. In the early days just after his accident, Vic wouldn't be jubilant and jokey.

Also, Snyder placed Victor as the central character in his version of the film, the gateway for the audience. Cyborg wasn't a secondary character at all... until Joss got done with him. But Joss had his marching orders, too, and had to pare the film down. That's largely on studio management.

We can't let Joss off the hook for bad behavior, though, Undoubtedly he was under a lot of pressure, too, but one still needs to treat others decently. It sounds like he made a bad situation worse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 14th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Trilogy trailer:

Rides over now... hopefully. ;)