Powerpuff Girls - Live-Action Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Powerpuff Girls - Live-Action Series

Post by Dan » April 7th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Was surprised there wasn't a general PPG thread any where, so figured I start a new one.

Any way, Warners in making a live-action adaptation of PPG for the CW, set to when the girls are now in their 20s and wonder if they lost out on a proper childhood by being crime fighters this whole time. The series will star Chloe Bennet (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) as Blossom, Dove Cameron (Descendants) as Bubbles, and newcomer Yana Perrault as Buttercup.

As posted on the front-page, they've started filming:
https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/07/powerpuf ... oe-bennet/

Curious to see Bennet as Blossom, really.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Powerpuff Girls - Live-Action Series

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Weird, I could've sworn we had a PPG thread. Or maybe I simply feel that way because I reviewed the reboot cartoon they did twice in the same year.

Nothing this live-action series does could possibly be worse than the Enchanted "parody" that show did, so it can only be an uphill battle from here for the franchise.

And yes, it was that bad...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2021, 2:31 am

I can’t ever unsee that, can I?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 8th, 2021, 4:13 am

I loved the PPG What A Cartoon! shorts in the mid-1990s .. and I adored the original TV series ..

.. I also have a lot of respect for the 2006 japanese adaptation: Powerpuff Girls Z .. gotta admit; they took a concept that most might consider best-suited for a 5-minute YouTube video (the PPG as stereotypical anime 'magical girls') .. and actually committed to it, enough to make it work well on its own terms, as a 52-episode TV series.

I'm also fond of the 15th anniversary special, Dance Pantsed .. featuring snazzy art-direction by Kevin Dart.

But I tuned-out of the 2016 reboot cartoon series, soon after it began .. and Dacey's clip doesn't inspire me to revisit it. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 9th, 2021, 3:09 pm

I'm a huge fan of the original and didn't care for the reboot at all. The new voices didn't help either. Hated Buttercup the most...

On to the live-action series, I'm intrigued. Might be terrible, but there's definitely potential. I give them credit for cartoon accurate outfits, they could've gone for a super edgy look. The only real complaint is they look rather cheap. Knowing the CW, watch that be a dream sequence and they actually look worse...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 12th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Well good thing those images leaked first, because The CW's "official" first look is decidedly lamer...

https://deadline.com/2021/04/powerpuff- ... 234732624/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 13th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Indeed. Although maybe they won't look so bad without the filter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm

From another article:
Comicbook wrote:Photos from the set of The Powerpuff Girls leaked online recently, showing the trio of stars wearing costumes that resemble the younger versions of the characters from the original animated series. Those photos have now been revealed to be from "flashback" scenes, dealing with the teenage years of the characters. They won't be wearing them for the majority of the show.
Called it, yay! So at least we'll still see them. Stoked about Tom Kenny.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 19th, 2021, 2:30 pm

So the costumes the fans actually liked won't be what they wear for the majority of it?

I'm on board for this if it works, but it seems like there are also many, many ways it could go wrong.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2021, 3:18 pm

A look at the house:

They better make those trees pink in post-production! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Pilot is being reworked from the ground up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2021, 12:58 pm

The original script supposedly got leaked. Here's a breakdown. (warning for language in comments) Sounds legit. All I can say is yikes! Sounds terrible. Hopefully they came to their senses...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 13th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Chloe Bennet has left the show. Much like Dan, (no, not talking in the third person! ;)) was curious to see her in the role. Oh well. Now to see who replaces her.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 13th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Calling it now: this is dead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 14th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Nah, "Powerpuff" has gotten the most buzz for a CW show in ages and it's a giant IP. Plus the fact they didn't just dump it after the pilot was passed on and are instead being given a chance to rework it speaks to the networks desire to get the show made.