Getting reference in drawing canines

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Creating and Designing a great character

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2021, 4:26 am

Merged with the topic we already had on these characters and their designs.

You are a little nuts, though, posting all these details. Anyone can take them and make their own version, or draw elements from this, and there’d be very little you could do about it…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Getting reference in drawing canines

Post by droosan » June 24th, 2021, 6:30 am

:arrow: I concur; a public internet forum is not an ideal space for discussing one's personal creative/IP.

Though .. I sometimes feel that I'm the only person in Hollywood who doesn't have a screenplay of his/her own. :|

I did mess around with creating my own comics, once upon a time .. but that feels like a lifetime ago.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 24th, 2021, 11:49 am

Sorry about that. I deleted the post.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Forum etiquette and creative discussions

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 24th, 2021, 12:00 pm

I've realized that this isn't a place to share my ideas, as based on what other members have said, other people could take my ideas and I could really not do anything about it, but is there proper etiquette in discussing things like things that could help me creatively? I am still a newcomer to this group, and I would be happy receiving some advice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Advice for redesigning characters

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 2nd, 2021, 6:44 am

When it comes to creating characters, are there some people who could help someone when it comes to redesigning a character? I heard of a website that has a YouTube channel on redesigning characters, and they would accept submissions from others so that the characters could be redesigned. Is that safe to do so? I sent a character design of mine, but I received no response.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2021, 10:10 am

No. Submitting anything of yours means you are giving up certain ownerships on your work, especially if they come back with a redesign that is then, technically, theirs. You might end up having to pay them, or be sued, for using what was once originally your own character! They may well have taken your character and, if it is of use to them, use it as they wish. Never send out materials unless everyone involved is bound by agreements or it is done professionally or legally. Of course there is trust between friends and colleagues, but even these things are done with an understanding. Never send out anything cold that you want to remain protected.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 2nd, 2021, 11:56 am

I understand. However, when I did do that, I received no response. I was sick with something back in late October-November of last year, but nothing came of it. What do I do?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 2nd, 2021, 12:04 pm

The website was BaM Animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 2nd, 2021, 12:22 pm

I feel awful for what I did. I hope I don't have to ax the story I was going to write about this character (Geffrey) I created, because I feel bad about myself. I feel like I have to destroy everything I have created because of the blunder I made while I was sick.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2021, 2:58 pm

Don’t feel bad, people make mistakes. There’s no reason to erase all the other good work you’ve done just because you were inexperienced in this field. Continue to create! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2021, 4:54 pm

You only submitted a character design, right? And not the whole treatment? I hope!

You should be fine. If you continue to try to develop your property and it goes somewhere then you will need to prove that you came up with all elements and designs before the date you submitted them to the site. There is no need to axe anything you’ve done so far, but it may be worth talking to, or surrounding yourself, with someone or people that might be a little more au fait with this kind of thing. A lot of it is just reasonable sense.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 2nd, 2021, 10:11 pm

Like who, and what?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2021, 4:02 am

Family, friends…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Canines and glasses

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 7th, 2021, 6:13 pm

I am wondering what glasses similar to what a human would wear would look like on a canine, especially one that is intelligent and belongs to a race of canines. I want to know where would the temples go on a canine's head? I am doing this while working on a character.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 7th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Mr Peabody could probably lend you a paw here…