Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2004, 6:48 am

Okay...

Exactly which part of:
Ben wrote:Steve Jobs recently was mooting a move to summer '06 for Cars anyway - after Nemo he's been on record as saying that that is the better model to run to: a summer movie hit followed by holiday DVD sales. He even says it in his press blurb.

In order for that to happen, Cars needs to move earlier to summer '05, thus putting pressure on its work schedule, or to '06, which is the way they've gone, meaning Rats will be out summer '07 (and also giving Pixar more time to re-up with Disney if they get on with Mr new CEO).

As for ChickLit, well, we all knew that was going to move, what with three other BIG movies out in th same time frame and competing for similar audiences.

Plus...it gives the filmmakers more time to have the 'micro-management' fiddle with it and mess it up some more, doesn't it? ;)
...did you NOT understand? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2004, 9:35 am

PatrickvD wrote:
James wrote:I think Shrek 3 may be coming in late 2006.
No way, Dreamworks wants a summer movie with a holiday dvd release. Remember, we must think like executives, that means in dollarsigns :wink:
from a story posted yesterday by Forbes:
...Meanwhile, Cohen said rival DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. plans to deliver five new features during the same timeframe, including the highly anticipated "Shrek 3" in the fourth quarter of 2006. Shares of DreamWorks were down 24 cents to trade at $39.36 on the New York Stock Exchange...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 9th, 2004, 2:56 pm

lol, sorry I was sleeping... all these dates are confusing me... they'll all make money anyway :oops: :wink: Shrek 3 is going to eat the world alive, 3.5 billion I say!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2004, 3:45 pm

Can you believe it! DreamWorks is moving Shrek 3 to May 2007! Why? Katzenberg says: "The sheer magnitude of the Shrek franchise has led us to conclude that a May release date–with a DVD release around the holiday season–will enable us to best maximize performance and increase profitability"! They were just now led to conclude this? One day after Pixar said the exact same thing!? What a coincidence! I hate to say it, but it looks like DreamWorks is continuing its "bully" reputation.

BTW here is the rest of the DW lineup:

"Madagascar" - May 27, 2005.
"Wallace & Gromit: Tale of the Were Rabbit" - Oct. 7, 2005
"Over the Hedge" - May 19, 2006
"Flushed Away" - November 2006
"Shrek 3" - May 2007

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2004, 3:51 pm

I knew I'd read that "bully" line before when I wrote it. A quick Google search found it!

http://www.digitalmediafx.com/Monsters/ ... sue-1.html
DreamWorks has begun emulating past marketing tactics of Disney by trying to interfere with Disney/Pixar animated releases and as a result is beginning to earn a "bully" attitude among many in the animation industry that was once reserved for Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

perspective

Post by ShyViolet » December 9th, 2004, 8:10 pm

I"m not saying what DW is doing is completely right but like George C. said this is a competitive business and things like that happen. (Yeah I know I brought the whole subject up, but I admit that I made too big a deal out of it :?)

BTW it might help to see K's POV. Disney has been trying to destroy him ever since he started DW up. In every way you can think of--financially, artistically, emotionally what have you. Maybe his sense of competitiveness isn't totally fair, but in his mind he's just fighting back. :idea:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: perspective

Post by Stego » December 9th, 2004, 10:30 pm

ShyViolet wrote:BTW it might help to see K's POV. Disney has been trying to destroy him ever since he started DW up. In every way you can think of--financially, artistically, emotionally what have you. Maybe his sense of competitiveness isn't totally fair, but in his mind he's just fighting back. :idea:
No offence...but i could care less about K's POV. The man's first move after leaving The Company is to make a movie about bugs, knowing full well about A Bug's Life. Not to mention DW's biggest success is a movie franchise that cashes in on mocking Disney. I don't think Katzenberg is in defence mode anymore.

Looks to me, like he and DW will single-handedly over-saturate the CG animated market to the point of the public's disgust and eventual rejection.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2004, 10:14 am

DreamWorks has begun emulating past marketing tactics of Disney by trying to interfere with Disney/Pixar animated releases and as a result is beginning to earn a "bully" attitude among many in the animation industry that was once reserved for Disney.

Once resrved for Disney? Is that like, as in, when Katzenberg was at Disney?

Whatever could these two occurances have in common?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MusicFan » January 3rd, 2005, 3:00 pm

If I remember correctly, during the recent Pixar conference call, Jobs said he was actually pushing for a release date on the rat movie, and didn't want to see a release date shift for Cars. Looks like a third party intervened, either that or Pixar just really wants to wait until Eisner is out so they could make the extension deal.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar's next feature CARS: What do you think?

Post by AniMan » February 23rd, 2005, 11:51 am

I don't know, but I'm a little worried about Pixar's next film CARS. Nothing I have seen in the teaser nor anything I have read about the story has caught my interest. I'll still go see it (I have great faith in the people of Pixar :)) but I am a bit worried if it's going to measure up. What do you think?[/i]
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 23rd, 2005, 3:01 pm

I will reserve all judgement until I see the movie, but if the trailer is any clue to how it will turn out, it looks crappy. The cars are so generic (eyes on windshield, etc.) and there were no funny parts (as in previous Pixar trailers). Also, it looks like the only demographic this film is playing to is young boys and race car fans. There is nothing amazing about the animation and I don't know how much they can do with just cars (looks a little to Hot Wheels meets Jay Jay Jet Plane/Thomas Tank Engine). I'm much more looking foward to Chicken Little.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 23rd, 2005, 3:03 pm

I love the trailer.
I love the look of the cars.
I love everything I saw, and I'm really excited about the movie.
I'm so not like so many here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 23rd, 2005, 3:21 pm

Most studios are lucky if their success/failure rate of making good movies is 50-50. Until their success rate dips below 70%, I don't see how anyone can say Pixar films don't pique their interest!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 23rd, 2005, 4:05 pm

James wrote:Most studios are lucky if their success/failure rate of making good movies is 50-50. Until their success rate dips below 70%, I don't see how anyone can say Pixar films don't pique their interest!
You just summed it up pretty well! Because Pixar has such an incredible (no pun intended :wink:) track record with their films, I will be there to see CARS, without a doubt. But, I dunno, it just doesn't excite me yet like the others did when I heard about them. Maybe the whole racecar thing is off-putting for me; I may be a man, but I admit that I have never had any great love of cars. :?
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 23rd, 2005, 4:14 pm

I'm not a car person at all.
But the whole idea of this movie excites me for some reason, and I'm really looking forward to it.
I also hate larry the cable guy.
But, again, he's one of the big reasons i wanna see this too. I love his character. At least from what I've seen of him.