AV Founder

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Nail hit on head.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2022, 8:25 pm

Sounds messily terrible, neither love nor thunder…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235175416/

Unlike admittedly many, I wasn’t a fan of Waititi's constantly flippant humour after the first ten times in Ragnarok, and this sounds even worse. Definite wait for D+ for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 5th, 2022, 9:35 pm

There's been a LOT of early reports of Taika's style going over the cliff on this one, which are particularly emphasized by the ads in the last week toning down the humor and hysterically trying to promote the cool-stuff action. You can smell desperation.

(And it didn't take ten times in Ragnarok for me, just one or two standout gags in particular could do the job singlehandedly...We're lucky, though, that Ragnarok only had one Disneyland joke.)
They commandeer a theme-park boat for their space travels, pulled by two giant screaming goats, which are funny for a minute.
And although there are goat-pulled chariots in real Norse mythology, hence Taika's patting of his own clever self's back, as for screaming goats, we must invoke the X-Men 3 rule of "Never sink to online Intenet-meme jokes in a Marvel movie."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 10th, 2022, 7:28 pm

$143m domestic, $302m worldwide for thor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 10th, 2022, 11:04 pm

Okay, and the people going INTO the movie matter...how, exactly? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2022, 3:00 am

gaastra wrote:
July 10th, 2022, 7:28 pm
$143m domestic, $302m worldwide for thor.
…and *terrible* reviews! ;)

(I don’t get Eric's comment.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2022, 4:23 pm

Ie., "The people walking into the movie on opening weekend because the trailers looked cool (or who bought them two months ahead on Fandango, because Opening Weekend) are the first ones about to FIND OUT how terrible the reviews are."

Used to be only one reason, but now, with studio opening-weekend culture being the main pillar of the theater industry, two reasons why Big Record-Setting Opening Weekends mean Richard Q. Squat for "validating" the quality of a movie.
As Lightyear found out, it's the second weekend you have to watch carefully...

(And I trust we've already heard enough Chinese-audience-taste jokes already to explain why everyone snickers when fans brag about "Worldwide!" grosses? :lol: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 11th, 2022, 4:38 pm

$143 million opening. The best in the series so far.

Disney isn’t going to be complaining.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2022, 6:27 am

Hey guys!

For those left underwhelmed by the lack of multitudes of multiverse madness in Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, or just want a better film that dives into that same concept with full gusto, be sure to check out Everything Everywhere All At Once, just out on disc and multitudes more fun on a quarter or less of the budget (not that you would guess).

Wow…so much to unpack and take in from this movie, which we ran yesterday afternoon. Amazingly ambitious, and largely matching up to those ambitions, with committed performances, totally whacko ideas, and out of the box, innovative, next-level filmmaking, EEAAO isn’t exactly "life changing", but it occasionally comes close. In many ways, it’s actually quite profound.

Now, it does take a little while to get going, and you have to stick with it (and make sure you keep watching to the end to see all three "parts"!), but it will totally reward those that plug in and connect with its universe(s), all in service to a really small and personal story told on a MASSIVE scale.

Just for its huge concept and how The Daniels (of the equally bonkers Swiss Army Man, but don’t let that put you off if you didn’t like that) pull this off, you need to see it. I could have done without the handful of instances of the f-word, only two of which felt "earned", but with everything else going on it’s not like they were too out of place.

Best of all was to see the cast having such good fun, including Michelle Yeoh and the return of Short Round himself, Ke Huy Quan, who doesn’t really look a year older than his Goonies days and, after reminding us of those roles with his delivery early on, really matures into two alternate versions of himself in the later moments. And what can be said about an almost unrecognisable Jamie Lee Curtis other than that I am hoping she should be looking at multiple acting nominations come awards season.

In an interesting post-viewing experience, I’m not actually sure I want to see it again…at least for a while. We used VOD to see if I wanted to buy the disc, but while I figured I’d jump on an order right away, I still haven’t done it yet, though the film is still very much with me. There’s also the question of if the 4K (non-HDR) is worth it over the regular BD or, given the film's success, if a better edition might come along.

Either way, I’m sure I’ll end up picking up a disc, as I suspect a second viewing would be even more beneficial. I’m just not quite done unpacking what I just saw yesterday yet.

For the moment, I’m just going to be a rock… :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 1st, 2022, 10:09 am

From the moment I heard of this, I knew I had to see it. I haven't yet, but will likely pick up a disc. The whole concept is one I love, and I've been a Yeoh fan for a while. All the many accolades help, too. But good to hear you also enjoyed it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » August 1st, 2022, 1:33 pm

I've definitely heard of Everything Everywhere All At Once, and I'm surprised how leggy it has been at the box office. Since Phase 4 of the MCU has been a mixed bag, I would like to see if other people can handle the multiverse concept better.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2022, 8:35 pm

They can, and do! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 7th, 2022, 8:47 pm

Thor 4 has passed thor 3s box office.

https://screenrant.com/thor-love-thunde ... rok-total/

AV Forum Member