The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 30th, 2006, 2:37 pm

I haven't seen too many Simpsons epidsodes where they poke fun at animation (Well, none that I can remember), but I liked when they did a CGI spoof of Dreamworks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 5:33 pm

They did??? OMG can you say what it was like? I haven't seen Simpsons in quite a while.
Scratchtasia/Pinitchio (Itchy and Scratchy Land)
Amazing send-ups of Disney classics.
OH G-D I LOVE THIS. And how about "SteamBoat Itchy"??

"Oh me, oh my!" :lol:

Worker and Parasite (Krusty Gets Kancelled)
This always gets me giggling. And the final message "Endet! Hoch Heuch!" has become a favourite of mine.
Krusty: "What the hell was that?"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 31st, 2006, 5:35 am

ShyViolet: There's also a satirical moment on the merchandising of Shrek in the recent episode See Homer Run. How about a Father's Day T-Shirt with Shrek on it? ;)
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2006, 7:35 am

Oh yeah! I remember that. It made me chuckle.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2006, 5:23 pm

ShyViolet: There's also a satirical moment on the merchandising of Shrek in the recent episode See Homer Run. How about a Father's Day T-Shirt with Shrek on it?
Ha ha. Thanks. :)

BTW I heard that a lot of current Simpson fans refer to Season 9+ Homer as "Jerka** Homer" because of all his annoying over-the-top exploits in ever episode. The writers actually used the phrase in an episode, too. :roll:

About animation, there was one episode that made fun of Anime when the Simpsons went to Japan: "Oh look, there's that cartoon show that causes seizures!" :lol:

Plus the episode with Poochie has got some of the greatest animation gags ever. Clueless execs trying to put together a "hip" character with lots of buzz phrases: sound familiar?

"Very few cartoons are broadcast live, Homer. It's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Simpsons and Animation

Post by Wonderlicious » March 12th, 2006, 1:37 pm

ShyViolet wrote:In "Another Simpsons Clip Show" Bart and Lisa were watching Itchy and Scratchy and Marge was trying to get them to turn it off. Bart was like: "They piece together old episodes and no one knows the difference." Lisa says: "Ren and Stimpy do it all the time" and Marge replies: "Yes they do, and when was the last time you heard anyone talk about Ren and Stimpy?"

(this was partly in response to John K's public dissing of the Simpsons)
What did John K say about The Simpsons exactly?
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2006, 5:11 pm

Whoops...almost forgot about this post, Wonder! :wink:

Well, on the Simpsons Season 4 commentary for "The Front" (the episode where Bart and Lisa write an Itchy and Scratchy episode) the producers said that according to John K, the Simpsons succeeded "in spite of the weak writing..."

Oh-kay. Whatever, John.... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 22nd, 2006, 5:22 pm

Oh, I'd forgotten about that from the commentary. It's been a few months now, of course, since I listened to that particular track.

I think he may have been jealous that The Simpsons was getting constant glory, whilst the execs at Nickelodeon had him kicked out from his own show. And also, I don't mean to be mean, but whilst I love Ren and Stimpy, hearing about his behaviour and looking at John K's blog makes him look a bit of an oddball.
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 22nd, 2006, 5:56 pm

I agree, Wonderlicious. Sure, I'm fine with John's work, but reading his blog and stuff have made me go, "What a nut."

My friend has to be the biggest John K. fangirl EVER. She is totally obsessed with him!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2006, 7:04 pm

I never watched R and S. Too gross for me....

I think he's kind of a wacko. I read an interview with him and Mike Barrier and basically he's like well almost everything that EVER came from Disney animation including most of what Walt did was crap. He's a hard core Bob Clampett/Chuck Jones guy. In his opinion if it's not ultra-ultra-ultra cartoony than it's not worth bothering with. (kinda like...oh I don't know....CartoonBrew????)

In his opinion cartoons that deal with bodily functions are true art, while something like Peter Pan or Cinderella is garbadge.
My friend has to be the biggest John K. fangirl EVER. She is totally obsessed with him!
Well, all I CAN say that I do know what it's like to be obsessed with someone named JK. :wink: :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 23rd, 2006, 7:40 am

Oof. I've decided to NEVER convince her to join here....She'll kill me if she ever reads this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2006, 8:06 am

I'm not a John K fan personally, but some of the stuff is funny-wacko.

And you just have to love his enthusiasm and knowledge of the Warners cartoons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 24th, 2006, 7:00 am

ShyViolet wrote:I think he's kind of a wacko. I read an interview with him and Mike Barrier and basically he's like well almost everything that EVER came from Disney animation including most of what Walt did was crap. He's a hard core Bob Clampett/Chuck Jones guy. In his opinion if it's not ultra-ultra-ultra cartoony than it's not worth bothering with. (kinda like...oh I don't know....CartoonBrew????)

In his opinion cartoons that deal with bodily functions are true art, while something like Peter Pan or Cinderella is garbadge.
That's probably why he hates The Simpsons; even though eventually it went a bit daft (though not bad, I should add), it was probably too sit-comish for him. Oh well, let us not bother with the narrow minded... :roll:
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2006, 12:57 pm

How about asking John K why actors like Kirk Douglas and Mickey Rooney never guest-starred on Ren and Stimpy, or why there was never a book written called "Ren and Stimpy and Philosophy" or why Ren and Stimpy never came out with a big-screen movie. Go figure. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2006, 5:15 pm

BTW this is off-topic but did you know Brad Bird personally directed "Krusty Gets Busted" from the first season, and co-directed "Like Father, Like Clown" from Season 2? (With Krusty's Rabbi father) Pretty cool. :)