Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Frozen

Post by Valentino » January 31st, 2006, 5:01 pm

I’m proud to announce this. Alan Menken composed several songs for Disney animated feature “Snow Queen” beside Glen Slater They are very excited with the new project, they made beautiful new songs. Recently (this January) they recorded the demos.
Your proof Mickey, I hope it helps you for your site.
http://www.kaufman-center.org/ assets/pdf/pr0506/MCH.BwayMenken.pdf

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 5:45 pm

Uh, how is that proof of what you're saying? (is very stupid)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Valentino » January 31st, 2006, 8:06 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Uh, how is that proof of what you're saying? (I'm very stupid)
Excuse me little girl! I’m so sorry, please stop!!!! I’m crying over my Alan Menken’s autograph right now. I forgot that I was working for you, please excuse me!!
Did you hear the songs?
I did …SUFFER. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2006, 9:20 pm

Little girl?!? He's a guy.

And WHAT are you talking about??

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 1st, 2006, 4:15 am

Valentino, who is the lyricist for the songs?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2006, 12:15 pm

Glen Slater, Mick, as he states in his opening post.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 1st, 2006, 2:46 pm

I accidentally overlooked it when I read over the post.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 1st, 2006, 3:51 pm

Valentino wrote:
Wendy's Jane wrote:Uh, how is that proof of what you're saying? (I'm very stupid)
Excuse me little girl! I’m so sorry, please stop!!!! I’m crying over my Alan Menken’s autograph right now. I forgot that I was working for you, please excuse me!!
Did you hear the songs?
I did …SUFFER. :lol:
Okay, I have no idea how to respond to this...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2006, 4:01 pm

I don't know if I would bother starting to try.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 1st, 2006, 4:18 pm

Whether or not the project is still on, Menken did apparently write the songs for Snow Queen. One of them was performed at Merkin Concert Hall: "Love Can't Be Denied".

Likewise, some songs from the upcoming Little Mermaid Broadway musical were performed at the concert as well: "Positoovity", song among Scuttle and some other seagulls, and "If Only/Her Voice", a touching duet between Prince Eric and Ariel.

Here are pictures:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=5080

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2006, 5:27 pm

Cool event!

I never quite got, how like Walt used the Shermans, why Disney didn't/doesn't use Menken as their in-house composer to do a lot more with them. I guess he has the power to veto or turn down work, so maybe it's his choice.

He also wrote songs for an abandoned version of The Little Princess, which sounded very sweet, and I'd still love for King David to be completed properly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 1st, 2006, 5:41 pm

I so agree, Menken knows what Disney sounds like, they should really use his talent. I hope we'll be hearing more over the next few years though. Mermaid on Broadway, Enchanted and perhaps other musical fairytales.

Music is a key component of succesful Disney animation. Each and every single 'great' Disney film has outstanding music. I hope Lasseter realises this and gets Menken and perhaps other new composers to work on future WDFA projects.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 1st, 2006, 6:29 pm

Doesn't Menken have a film exclusivity contract with Disney? Though if so it was probably just to keep him away from their competition rather than using him for themselves much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 1st, 2006, 8:53 pm

The great 80's Anime series "The Littl' Bits" (awful title, I know, it's just the way it's translated) had an episode called "The Snow Woman" which is very much like the Snow Queen story. I suggest that Disney watch this to get ideas! :wink: :roll:

http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/animedr ... nbits.html

The only problem is the English dubbing/translation is HORRIBLE. Maybe they can get it with subtitles or something. (????)

BTW, it's interesting to be discussing Menken with regard to Lassetter and all that, because I know Lassetter DOESN'T like characters breaking into song in his films. I suppose it's only in regard to future WDFA projects.
, and "If Only/Her Voice", a touching duet between Prince Eric and Ariel.
Oh wow that sounds beautiful. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 2nd, 2006, 3:02 pm

I love animated musicals but I don't see why everyone thinks there's such a huge need for them.

Of course, they ARE 100 times better than these 'animated music videos' we've been getting lately (Ala Shrek).