Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Toy Story 3 actually sounds good!

Post by mr. squarepants » December 20th, 2004, 7:07 pm

What did you guys think of James Herzfeld's idea for Toy Story 3? I really like it! You know, the fact that Andy has no father never really occurred to me. And that whole "toys from the east side meet the toys from the west side" plot could lead to some interesting results. Still, I wonder what country the toys will go to and how they will get there. Anyway, I think Toy Story 3 is off to a great start. How about you folks?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 20th, 2004, 7:37 pm

Oh dear... Well, Herzfeld may still have written a good script for Toy Story 3. But the reviews for his latest sequel are definitely less-than-stellar:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/meet_the_fockers/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 21st, 2004, 6:25 am

The storyline sounds neat... I don't think I would have liked Toy Story to head the "The Brave Little Toaster" road by letting Andy grow up and see where the toys end up. That would be such a ripoff... This one actually sounds pretty original (altough it reminds me of something) and it could be a hit. Now the only thing they need to do is get Tom Hanks and Tim Allen back on the team! Another problem is getting John Ratzenberger to do Hamm, I'm not sure how he will react, doing a Disney-only sequel on a Pixar work while he's working at Pixar...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » December 21st, 2004, 9:03 am

I dont really like it (but that might be because i am against the project all together).:(

Plus it kinda reminds me of Rugrats in Paris.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 21st, 2004, 12:49 pm

I have to admit that after I posted that message, Rugrats in Paris popped in my mind also. Plus, looking at Herzfeld's previous works (Meet the Deedles, Jungle Book: Mowglie's Story), I am getting more worried again. Meet the Parents is his only great work that I have noticed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

But will HE return for Toy Story 3...

Post by mr. squarepants » December 27th, 2004, 7:30 pm

You know what I realized? Since it was announced that Toy Story 3 would be made by Disney only, we have been pondering whether or not Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, and John Ratzenberger would return for the sequel. Those three stars seem to the three main ones that everyone is focusing on. However, there is one more major star from the Toy Story films who NEEDS to return, in order to help Toy Story 3 maintain the Toy Story "feel". That person?

Randy Newman- will he return?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 27th, 2004, 8:41 pm

But... Randy Newman sucks...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 28th, 2004, 8:42 am

Rand Newman - pre Pixar - was great, and even his TS scores were up there with the best he did.

True that the Pixar rot set in and he was caught recycling pretty much the same scores for those films.

Don't forget that he did James And The Giant Peach for Disney directly, so he does have a relationship with the studio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 28th, 2004, 9:14 am

mr. squarepants wrote:Meet the Parents is his only great work that I have noticed.
I'm sorry? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 28th, 2004, 12:45 pm

Let me guess, you didn't like Meet the Parents either. A lot of people did, though. When I use the word "great", I don't mean It's A Wonderful Life "great" or Beauty and the Beast "great". I just mean that he did a lot with a story whose basic premise is "a guy meets a girls parents".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 28th, 2004, 2:02 pm

I loved Meet the Parents.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2004, 10:58 am

Macaluso wrote:I loved Meet the Parents.
I'm sorry? :?

Nah, just kidding. Yeah, it was okay, and I got a few laughs out of it, but it's not a "great" film by any stretch of the imagination. And that this IS the "best" thing that the writer has done (and he only co-wrote that, remember), doesn't bring me much hope for TS3.

Hopefully, it will go through the usual story changes and be bumped up a bit. The relationships sound intriguing, but I hope they also stick to what makes the characters work best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 29th, 2004, 2:23 pm

Yeah, you make a good point, Ben. Hopefully, whoever directs the film can make some good additions to or subtractions from the script. Plus, like you poinetd out, Herzfeld co-wrote the Meet the Parents movies. Maybe he wrote the parts that were good. You never know. All I know is that if I were given the job of writing Toy Story 3, I would have worked day and night on that thing, until I would have been about to sweat blood. I mean, that's a big task to be given, writing a sequel that follows what many consider to be the two greatest computer animated films of all time.

I wonder who the director will be, by the way. I wish the team of Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders could take on the project. But they're currently busy with American Dog. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Mark Dindal gets the job. Obviously some head-honcho at Disney likes the guy, since they gave him the job of directing their first CGI feature. But then again, he's busy with Chicken Little. You don't think John Lasseter or Brad Bird would direct the film for Disney, do you? After all, Lasseter has done non-Pixar work for Disney, such as working on the English-dubbed Miyazaki films. If he could and agreed to do the job, Disney could postpone Toy Story 3, until he's done working on Cars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 29th, 2004, 7:29 pm

Ben wrote:Don't forget that he did James And The Giant Peach for Disney directly, so he does have a relationship with the studio.
And an excellent score, at that. I wouldn't say he "sucks"...but he has been showing some repetetiveness that i hope he shakes off soon. I also enjoyed his score for Bug's Life.

But i must say, Pixar made an EXCELLENT decision to use Giacchino for Incredibles...somehow i don't think Newman would've been a good fit :wink: (For more sweet music from the G man...check out the score to the Lost World game for Playstation...really sweet stuff.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 29th, 2004, 7:37 pm

mr. squarepants wrote:Obviously some head-honcho at Disney likes the guy, since they gave him the job of directing their first CGI feature. But then again, he's busy with Chicken Little.
Not to be a tool, but...wasn't "Dinosaur" Disney's first CGI feature? Or does that not count since it had live-action backgrounds?