Disasters with Michael Eisner

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Disasters with Michael Eisner

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2006, 7:46 am

While I don't think we'll be reporting on this show in future, it was interesting to have a peek at the first episode, in which former Disney head honcho Eisner took to the chat show circuit and spoke to Martha Stewart and Sony chief Sir Howard Stringer.

Well, what a mess!!

What's with Eisner seemingly finding it tough to actually speak? He seems to have to really make an effort to push the air outta his lungs to get even that whispery voice to register even the slightest. Plus, he often looked bored!

What was with that table? A strange set that instantly puts a devide between the speakers - was this a job interview (for either of them?) or a desire to try and open up a frank discussion - didn't work!!

Lastly, the show was simply all about ME, in both senses of that acronym. His opening remarks went far and beyond the call of duty in setting up his subjects - look at Martha waiting to him to wrap up. And the amount of interjecting he did - let them speak for goodness sake!

The funny thing was when he said about what his goals were, with "synergy" and "strategy" and Martha simply said, "well, no, that's my way", thus knocking Eisner off his carefully calculated Wall Street friendly box and fairly frankly saying "look, man, get real. Let it come naturally".

I had no intention of going into a tirade on this, but it just all went to show how much Michael Eisner has changed since he came in as an enthusiastic green boy back in 1984 to the bored, egotistical man of 2006.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 30th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Who cares about Eisner anymore, really? He's a has-been. He's also financially set for life so I think he should just go away.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2006, 1:05 pm

I had no intention of going into a tirade on this, but it just all went to show how much Michael Eisner has changed since he came in as an enthusiastic green boy back in 1984 to the bored, egotistical man of 2006.
Yeah, I can see that. I wanted to watch the show but didn't get a chance...I kinda can imagine it though, because I've watched him on both Larry King and Charlie Rose. He didn't seem too comfortable there either.
The truth is I'm sorry for him...I think somewhere down the line he just lost sight of his values. That happens to powerful people. They get so used to "making an impression" that they forget to act like "REAL" people. Everything is about them and other people are just there to highlight that.
Who cares about Eisner anymore, really? He's a has-been. He's also financially set for life so I think he should just go away.
Practically everyone is Hollywood is "financially set for life" so I don't think that matters. It's about staying in the game. He did do a lot of good things for Disney and he didn't go out on a very good note. That's partly his fault but not ALL his fault. A lot of it was the press, the rabidly insane SaveDisney movement as well as talentless, opportunistic hack "writers" like James Stewert, author of DisneyWar.

He's a has-been.
I don't really think that, I think he will be remembered once all this furor about Disney dies down. He did do a lot of good, remember. Technically, Macauly Culkin, Roman Polanski, and Shirley Temple are has-beens too. John Travolta was one for a long time. That doesn't mean that people don't remember the good things they did.

Also I just want to say that if you ever saw Stanley Gold or Roy Disney interviewed on T.V., they both did pretty bad jobs. They often mumbled or stuttered while trying to make their point. I can't imagine either of them interviewing anyone.

I think you're right Ben, he did start out at Disney as a very different person.
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 30th, 2006, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Actually...he's set for two lives, probably even three at least! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Actually...he's set for two lives, probably even three at least!
Wish he could give one of those "lives" to me....I could sure use it! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2006, 10:27 pm

I saw some of the show on-line. Oh boy. What is with voice? It's even hoarser than usual...maybe he has laryngitis or something? Anyway, he reminded me a lot of how he presented himself in the last years he did The Wonderful World of Disney...kinda stiff, trying to seem "personable", but very forced somehow. It's not that he couldn't do a good job if he wanted to, but he definetely needs to loosen up and take more of an interest in his subjects.
There's something amiable and frightening about him at the same time. It's really weird.

How about interviewing Jeffrey Katzenberg? I think the ratings would be VERY high for that one. He could start by saying: "So, how've the last ten years been, Jeffrey?" :wink: Or they could do their own show together, EVERYONE would tune in for that! :)

BTW JK's son and Mary-Kate Olsen are back together! :) *AWWW*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 31st, 2006, 2:33 pm

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=14300

According to that post on Ultimate Disney, the show got the lowest possible rating (I don't understand the jargon, so that's all I can really say).
ShyViolet wrote:How about interviewing Jeffrey Katzenberg? I think the ratings would be VERY high for that one. He could start by saying: "So, how've the last ten years been, Jeffrey?" :wink: Or they could do their own show together, EVERYONE would tune in for that! :)
Imagine if Katzenberg came on as a surprise guest! This comedy sketch includes some things that may rate the piece as TV-PG (not for language)...

INT: TV Studio for a Chat Show

(The audience cheers and claps as Michael Eisner comes on.)

EISNER: Hello, and welcome to CONVERSATIONS WITH MICHAEL EISNER, the chat show hosted by Michael Eisner, the CEO who cares. On today's show, we've got some wonderful guests. We've got everyone's favourite Canadian Celine Dion, the wonderful British actor Hugh Laurie and the inspirational Yoko Ono! But first, we've got the woman who lights up all our hearts with joy. She's America's favourite politician; please welcome Condileeza Rice!

(JK walks on instead of Condi. He stands gazing at Eisner in a disgruntled way)

EISNER (CONT.): Oh my god, it appears as though Condi has suddenly had a sex change.

KATZENBERG: Don't be stupid. Do I look anything like Ms. Rice?

EISNER: No...

KATZENBERG: You know who I am, rich scumbag.

EISNER: Okay, I do. You're that guy I used to work with. You helped make Beauty and the Beast. Then you said Pinocchio was a cross dresser when you left and bullied Disney with those Shrek movies.

KATZENBERG: You were once a yuppie, weren't you? Well, Mikey, the youngness may be gone, but I'll take the "upwardly mobile" part out for you!

(Katzenberg pounces on Eisner and starts to attack him. A card saying that the channel has technical difficulties appears. It disappears, and we see Katzenberg standing over a beaten, bruised and bleeding Eisner on the floor)

;)
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 31st, 2006, 2:48 pm

Now THAT I would watch. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 31st, 2006, 7:06 pm

Me too. But personally I think Eisner might have a better shot of winning this fight than you think...he's A LOT bigger than Katzenberg.
Although JK did used to work out.... 8) I guess it's a fair fight....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 31st, 2006, 8:10 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 31st, 2006, 9:18 pm

Wow, JK has a tatoo? Cool. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 1st, 2006, 11:31 am

My cat has a tatoo, too.

Really.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2006, 4:34 pm

Meg wrote:Image
HOLY SHIP, MEG!!! :shock:

Where did you find that? It's sorta... creepy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 2nd, 2006, 4:57 pm

I made it in like five seconds. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2006, 6:24 pm

Someone should start paying you for this. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."