Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 2nd, 2006, 6:47 pm

I more dislike having the empty windshield. Other than that the headlight eyes are cool. When you have the empty windshield though then you feel as if someone should be driving the car which as we all know is not the case. These are completely independent free-thinnking beings and putting the eyes in the windshield somehow enhances that for me.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 2nd, 2006, 6:50 pm

I'm not quite sure. Something about the eyes. Shocked
Especially on the tow truck.
I must admit I know what you mean. There's something empty about them, though that is also part of the character's expression in this specific shot I think, so I had to keep it that way. It's less there with the bigger eyes though, I think...
Last edited by Guardstone on April 2nd, 2006, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 2nd, 2006, 6:54 pm

I more dislike having the empty windshield. Other than that the headlight eyes are cool. When you have the empty windshield though then you feel as if someone should be driving the car which as we all know is not the case. These are completely independent free-thinnking beings and putting the eyes in the windshield somehow enhances that for me.
Interesting comment. I wonder if that was one of the reasons the people at Pixar chose the windshield approach. It does certainly make for good argument.

Thanks for commenting, all. As somewhat of a character designer myself, to me, this type of discussion is very interesting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2006, 8:28 pm

Some food for thought?

http://www.pi.net/upload_mm/3/3/a/19404 ... avista.jpg

With Benny the Cab it wasn't a big issue with the windshield since he was a convertable. And they made use of his fender as a mouth, which makes him more "obnoxious" looking, but that was the point. Plus the big, exaggerated eyes....

I agree, those "alternate" versions of Lightening and Mater are creepy! :wink: I think it's like what you guys were saying, because other than the eyes and mouth, they look like real cars. Benny looks more like a "character" anyway.

I can't wait till "The Art of Cars" comes out and we can see a lot of the early sketches and conceptions of this film.

(BTW, soooooo relieved that Animated News is still Animated News! I totally believed that..... :roll:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2006, 2:30 pm

Taken from the front page...

Another executive described "the film's race-car-themed story line and folksy soundtrack, featuring songs by Sheryl Crow and Brad Paisley, as the perfect antidote to (gay cowboy movie) Brokeback Mountain for more conservative red-state audiences."

Er, why even put the two movies in the same sentence? They probably have NOTHING in common, and besides, by the time "Cars" finally comes out, no one will be talking about "Brokeback Mountain" anymore.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2006, 2:37 pm

Yeah, that was sort of...odd. I think it was just saying that Cars is a more family-friendly film…Still weird, though.

ANIMATED G-RATED MOVIES VS LIVE ACTION R-RATED MOVIES!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2006, 2:44 pm

Maybe it was to tell us that McQueen and Mater won't have any, you know, feelings for one another...

I saw a cardboard ad for "Cars" at the theater today. It was cute because McQueen had "Lightyear" tires. Ha, ha, ha.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2006, 2:56 pm

Maybe it was to tell us that McQueen and Mater won't have any, you know, feelings for one another...
They'd live in Brockback Springs if that were the case...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2006, 3:44 pm

Chiming in a little late here, but I like the headlights concept.

I totally take on these comments: that the windshields look odd with nothing in them (well, maybe smoked windows are not the answer) and that having the eyes in the windshield lends them a life of their own.

BUT, someone also said it would have been harder for them to get expression in the "beamer eyes"...ahh, poor Pixar artists...we wouldn't want them to have to try any harder, would we? ;)

Nice mock-ups, BTW! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2006, 5:52 pm

They'd live in Brockback Springs if that were the case...
Or, as Jon Stewart might have put it: "Cars that are secretly fond of each other..." :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2006, 9:11 pm

My fingers are itching to do another photo manipulation. Don't tempt me...;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2006, 9:19 pm

EDIT: Actually that was Bill Maher not Jon Stewart.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 4th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Meg wrote:My fingers are itching to do another photo manipulation. Don't tempt me...;)
I am so tempting you! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2006, 7:42 pm

No, please don't... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I think Lightening does fall in love with a "girl car." :wink: