Garfield

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Garfield

Post by Macaluso » January 7th, 2005, 5:00 pm

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 8th, 2005, 1:05 am

It's their business decision. I kinda think it's dumb, personally, but they have to live with it. I don't forsee several thousand people dropping LA Times subscriptions because of this, but I'd be surprised if at least a few dozen people didn't complain about it.

What's amazed me more about this is the amount of antagonism towards both Jim Davis and Garfield nowadays amongst some professional animators and cartoonists. My gut feeling after reading 2 or 3 dozen of those posts is that these people are jealous of Davis's success. Seriously, being successful makes people hate you. It's that envy thing again. A lot of the things written about Davis and Garfield are downright rude and vile. Amazing that a bunch of the same people seem to think that the mediocre animated TV series was so much better!

Many of the same crowd wrote off Charles Schulz and Peanuts years ago but praised the heck out of Schulz shortly after he died. Never mind the fact that most of them probably hadn't read the comic strip regularly in at least 10 years -- and Peanuts was arguably as much on "autopilot" as Garfield has been for a while --, but it's funny that the Peanuts/Garfield thing turned into a popularity contest and a matter of who these people like more!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 8th, 2005, 2:35 am

I don't like really old Garfield, but on the other hand, I haven't really REALLY enjoyed Garfield since he turned 20. Some of his older strips have been REALLY REALLY REALLY funny.

Of course, nothing beats The Far Side. But I digress...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 8th, 2005, 3:17 am

Charles Schulz did everything in his strip all by himself for 50 years. Jim Davis had a committee doing his strip for him for twenty years. That's an enormous difference.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2005, 8:24 am

I never knew that about Jim Davis. The original Groening, eh? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 8th, 2005, 2:19 pm

You mean Groening has other people do Life is Hell for him? I believe Jim Davis started off writing and drawing the strip himself but slowly became less and less involved. Charles Schulz did everything, including the lettering, by himself and when he was getting near the end of his fifty year run and his right hand (his drawing hand) was shaky he would steady it with his left hand. He said he felt he was born to draw comic strips and he died the night before his last strip appeared in the papers.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 8th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Christian wrote:Charles Schulz did everything in his strip all by himself for 50 years. Jim Davis had a committee doing his strip for him for twenty years. That's an enormous difference.

I've gotta ask -- what "single man enterprise" DOESN'T have other people working on it?

Are you telling me Schulz did the color separations and EVERYTHING on Peanuts? I kinda find it hard to believe that he did it all himself!

As for the whole Jim Davis business, I find it amazing that so many cartoonists and animators rip this guy for doing things the "committee way" when in fact you basically can't get any kind of major film work (TV shows, movies) WITHOUT working with other people. You know how many student films or independent movies get finished by one person alone? Not too many!

BTW, I don't consider either Davis' or Schulz' work in the league of Will Eisner and The Spirit comic strip, but it's amazing that people STILL have this tendency to choose who they "have to love" in the wake of an individual's death. I don't by any means hate any of these gentlemen or their work, but it's amazing that there's such a nasty group mentality demonstrated online at boards like Animation Nation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 8th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I've only been telling the facts. I haven't made any emotional statements about where anybody's loyalties should lie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sh00tingstar » January 11th, 2005, 1:55 am

not trying to offend either, but i havent laughed at a garfield strip in years. I used to think the older ones were hilarious! Arlene, nermal, odie- but now it seems the only thing garfield revolves around is "jon is a loser strip" "garfield is bored strip" or the "john is wearing stupid clothes strip"

i think more people are annoyed with davis because he sold his concept for a lot of money and royalties, 15 years after it was popular.
Thats a stab for alot of people, and a betrayal for even more. Many of my friends were sickened when garfield was announced as a movie. not only is the original garfield dead, but the garfield concept hasnt been wildly popular since the 80's early 90's when EVERYONE had a garfield soft toy. and now suddenly hes cashing in his chips at the last possible second- seems greedy, sell out'ish and underhanded to most.
"When the stars fall I will lie awake..you're my shooting star

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2005, 5:55 am

Well, I am neither for or against Davis and the Garfield strip, but do have to point out that a movie version has been on the cards for absolutely AGES, so it's not really a case of cashing any chips in at the last minute.

The movie has been at various studios, and set up with various people over at least ten years, and I know that a theatrical "event" movie was put on hold due to the successful TV series lasting so long in syndication.

There was also the "do we do it in full animation" or live-action route with a cartoon cat (something that was discussed, as with many other characters, after Roger Rabbit), but finally, it was a mutt, Scooby Doo, that "convinced" everyone that a Garfield movie could be done "right".

Anyway, my main concern with the film was that it treated Garfield less as the character from the original strip, and more like the suck-on car toy he later became and became famous/notorious for...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » January 11th, 2005, 10:52 pm

No offense, George (and i truly mean that), but choosing the colors for a strip versus writing/drawing one is a pretty big difference. I don't think the coloring would make or break a Peanuts strip. And while i do agree with you on the "no man is an island" belief (especially having worked on several indy films myself), i have to disagree in regards to the comic-committee thing. I think it's downright selfish/inconsiderate to slap your name on something when someone else created it. It may be Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, but the credits clearly say Selick directed. (not that you can fit all that in a strip, but nonetheless...)

Davis isn't the only cartoonist to have done this, and i think it is a shame because there is an obvious drop in quality, both written and drawn, when that happens. If Davis can't bother to make comics himself (and be PAID to do it! my Gosh!), then i say go right ahead and drop him. There are plenty of other guys out there willing to make the strips themselves, and i think they definitely deserve a shot, moreso than someone relying on a committee.

Just to point out, this (for me) has nothing to do with Davis' success (i'm a big fan of his older material). I could care less if someone becomes successful for doing what they love and doing it well...in fact, i applaud it. But i do not think success should be the high sign to hang in the towel and sell-out. Again, these comments are not meant to offend anyone here...just stating my opinions.

Oh, one more thing...i haven't seen the film, but i do not think that was the best way to animate him. (i'm sure many will agree) And what was the deal with Odie? (and yes, Far Side does indeed rule! :D )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by zanimum » January 27th, 2005, 8:20 am

Notice the visually ironic strip that was run, the first day LA saw Brevity.

http://www.comics.com/comics/brevity/ar ... 50103.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Garfield

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 25th, 2005, 5:48 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 25th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Garfield's tail looks really weird in that perspective.

GeorgeC

Next Garfield Animated TV Special Compilation announced!

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2005, 12:12 am

The fourth Garfield TV special compilation DVD has been announced for release on May 24th, 2005. MSRP is $14.98 (meaning under $10 at Wal-Mart, Target, or Best Buy most likely) and the disc runs approximately 2 hours.

The disc is titled Garfield Fantasies and features the TV specials dealing with Garfield's dreamworld. The specials on the disc are Babes and Bullets (1989), Garfield's Feline Fantasies (1990), and Garfield's Nine Lives (1988). The first two specials are 30 min each, the last one 60 min.

Like the previous 3 Garfield TV special DVDs, this disc groups together specials based on themes and NOT chronological order.

All information in this post courtesy of DVDToons at http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/748

Comments: This is the Garfield DVD I've been waiting for! Although I don't have the Garfield Vacation disc yet, I'm definitely getting that one and ESPECIALLY this one!

I've never seen Garfield's Nine Lives nor the other two specials on this disc and unfortunately these specials have not been regularly aired on TV in years.

In my honest opinion, the Garfield TV specials are MUCH better than the long-lived Garfield animated TV series and reflect WHY Garfield used to be such a well-respected syndicated comic strip unlike its current situation.

With the TV specials finally out on DVD, we're getting the best filmed version of Garfield produced. I know I'm NOT bothering with either the animated TV series volumes or the live-action film...