Change in Disney's logo

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Change in Disney's logo

Post by chernabog » May 3rd, 2006, 11:18 am

AAAARGHHH!!! What's this about a new Disney logo?! They're not gonna get rid of the castle and the font are they?! Please don't tell me they're gonna change it that much. Does anyone have any information?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 3rd, 2006, 1:06 pm

We all just have to wait and see. Kind of funny that it'll be premiering with POTC2 since POTC1 didn't even have the castle logo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 3rd, 2006, 1:31 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 3:04 pm

Macaluso wrote:Image
HECK yes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 3rd, 2006, 3:19 pm

I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but it's such an iconic logo that I can't imagine anything being as good or creating that same feeling of 'magic'. Warner Bros, Universal, MGM... none of these have changed their logo over the years, why are Disney doing this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

Mac's logo is pretty cool but I still like the idea of Mickey turning on a lamp.... :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 3rd, 2006, 3:29 pm

I do think the Mickey turning on the lamp idea is really cool but it could only really work on Disney/Pixar films. The in-house Disney productions would need something different. All I can think of is either a development of the castle logo or something iconic from the Disney vault, such as a Mickey Mouse head. (Only not as obvious as that) As long as they don't chang the Disney font I should be able to cope.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2006, 3:31 pm

I do think the Mickey turning on the lamp idea is really cool but it could only really work on Disney/Pixar films.
Thanks! :wink:

If they ever did do this, I think it should be 2d not 3d (like the DisneyToon logo was) ....what do you guys think?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 3rd, 2006, 4:07 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Mac's logo is pretty cool but I still like the idea of Mickey turning on a lamp.... :wink:
I love it. ^__^

Maybe they could have a 2D Mickey turning on a 3D lamp. ??

Also, in my opinion, the Pixar version of the Disney castle is far better than the one Circle 7 did for Chicken Little.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 3rd, 2006, 4:13 pm

PixarVixen wrote:the Pixar version of the Disney castle is far better than the one Circle 7 did for Chicken Little.
Ditto. I think Disney should have applied a similar style to the logo rather than changing it completely, which it sounds like they're doing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2006, 4:19 pm

Um...Anyone know when "Walt Disney Pictures" and the blue castle logo premiered?

It was when Disney filmed entertainment was split in two, with family fare under the Disney Pictures brand and the edgier films that had started with such titles as "Watcher In The Woods", "Tron", "Return To Oz" and "Spalsh" were deemed as being too adult for younger audiences.

Indeed, Touchstone became its own entity not with "Splash", but with the Jessica Lange picture "Country" a few months before.

Before that, the studio's films came from "Walt Disney Productions", which HAD no official logo apart from the "Distributed by Buena Vista" card on the front of those films.

So...one can't exactly call the logo "iconic".

And it has changed once already...both Touchstone and Disney Pictures' logos became more "grown up" affairs around two/three years ago with the switch to the current "brown flame"-styled logos, though animation seems to be retaining the blue logo of old at the moment.

Look for the new logo to retain elements of the castle and most certainly the "Disney signature font", while Disney/Pixar films will also have an entirely new logo as well, perhaps based on Gabriel's new one.

----------------------------------

BTW, Vi... the DisneyToon logo WAS 2D if you are talking about the one with Mickey drawing out the unit's name?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 4:25 pm

I'm all for a change in logo. I smell good times for Disney ahead, and I think we need a fresh new logo for Disney's fresh new films.

And I still think Mac's logo wins.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 3rd, 2006, 4:27 pm

Ben wrote:Disney Pictures' logos became more "grown up" affairs around two/three years ago
I don't like to disagree with you Ben, but I have to on this point. While the presentation of the logo changed, the logo itself remainded exactly the same.

Also, while the logo may not have been established straight away, it has still been around for over 20 years and has become iconic during that time. It has also been applied to old Disney films which makes it even more significant. An update is fine, studios do it all the time. In the 90's (97 maybe?) Universal updated their logo but it still remained essentially the same image. If Disney completely trade theirs in for something else I think it will feel like a completely different set of films, with the change in logo's separating the new from the old.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 4:32 pm

Give the new one time, and it too will become iconic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2006, 5:21 pm

Well...we all don't know what the "new" logo will look like yet, and as I say I would assume that it will still use the castle and Walt-sig elements in a new way. So why all the worry??

BTW, remember Warner Bros famous shield logo? They didn't use it all through the 70s, instead going for their Warner Communications "broken W" look. Now that they have the shield back, they've replaced the W on the 70s films for the shield. But I don't see that as being "significant"...?