Over The Hedge

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 21st, 2006, 1:52 am

SPACEHERO55 wrote:By Far my favorite scene was when they finally gave Hammy Caffine. It was brilliant.
Haha. I haven't seen the movie yet, but that makes me think of when The Wolf gave Twitchy coffee in Hoodwinked. ^^

I can't wait to see this with Brandon on Wednesday. I wanted to see it on the first day of its release, but we promised each other we'd wait. ;)

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 21st, 2006, 3:28 am

PixarVixen wrote:we promised each other we'd wait. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 21st, 2006, 1:20 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, but that makes me think of when The Wolf gave Twitchy coffee in Hoodwinked. ^^
I was thinking that that too!

Anyway, saw it yesterday, and I have to agree - one of the better efforts DW has made recently. I really didn't have any problems with it, except for that it was really hard for me to get into - I don't know why, because it was a really good movie. Hmm...But I'm looking forward to seeing it again. When I got home I watched A Bug's Life to celebrate the fact that I could watch VHSs again., and I realized some scenes in OtH reminded my of ABL - y'know, the whole deal with the food and stuff.

BTW - In the trailers the tube of chips RJ was holding were Pringles, but in the movie they weren't. I liked that - it showed DW is beginning to stop putting pop-culture refs in their films. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2006, 3:48 pm

Oooh...you guys - this sounds good!

I have heard the human animation isn't quite up to snuff, but your views on this - almost uniformly positive - have swung me around and I'm looking more forward to it now than I was two minutes ago.

BTW, anyone think that the main male bad guy (the one on the posters) looks like Crazy Al's brother or something? Just had the same design at a glimpse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 21st, 2006, 6:16 pm

I - yeah, he does! Smaller head though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » May 21st, 2006, 6:19 pm

This is easily Dreamworks best film! I loved that it wasnt crammed with pop culture refrences, pop song, spoofs of recent films, and big name actors playing themself. Its defiantly the closest Dreamworks has gotten to Pixar quality. Steve Carrell as Hammy stole the show, the scene with Hammy on caffeine was brilliant!

8/10

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 21st, 2006, 6:22 pm

My favorite part was the climax. Very fast pasted and fun, unlike Madagascar's climax which was non-existent.

I'll add that when Hammy said, "I'm not stupid," everyone laughed, but then realized, "Whoops - we weren't supposed to laugh!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 21st, 2006, 10:38 pm

okay.
i saw it rtoday :] and let me say... it was the best dreamworks film i have seen in a very long time. i loved wanda sykes as the skunk and steve carrell was brilliant as hammy. The overall plot was very cute and i loved that it wasnt filled with a tremendous amount of pop culture refrences also.
a~G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

"Over the Hedge" Grosses $37 Millon in Debut Week

Post by Nathan M. » May 22nd, 2006, 12:08 pm

Over The Hedge took the number two spot at the box office during it's debut weekend,. The film grossed $37.2 millon at North American theaters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hammy and the Humans

Post by Loiosh » May 22nd, 2006, 5:58 pm

Two small notes. One of the interviews with Steve captured quite an adorable moment which indicates how he played Hammy.
"Steve Carell, who is the voice of Hammy, observes, "Hammy is tremendously loyal to his friends; he is very kind and very loving. It's going to make me cry just thinking about him because he is the sweetest thing. " Taken from: http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00005062.html

As for the humans, the design reference for the movie was with the animals being the normal 5-6 foot height. All of the humans were made to be huge giants (as well as the world). This allowed the layout team, lighting and modeling to make the humans look incredibly massive and towering. That is why they look strange to everyone. Dreamworks did this to help the audience sympathize with the animals (which look normal) instead of the humans.

Over the Hedge was in development for four years and the quality, quite frankly, shows. I would not grant it in the same level as Incredibles only because it lacks the intense family emotional power that Pixar invests in their movies. It is a highly refined and appealing movie.

For those interested in animation as a technical field, pay attention to the careful use of focus-pulling and wide apature lenses to give the movie an unexpected scale that the majority of the audience will subtly inhale but not notice. This movie marks the first time specular highlights (? unclear on this) were used on individual blades of fur (seen on Verne and Stella) to grant their fur an appropiately glossy texture. Also watch for RJ's fur to emote in response to his actions and feelings. This is best seen in the start when he breaks his grabber and his tail bottle-bristles. High-Dynamic Range modeling was used heavily in the scenes involving groups passing through the hedge. The best example of this is Verne first walking through the Hedge into the backyard.

For the budding animators here, this is Dreamwork's highest quality work to date. They expended a great deal of effort into the facial expressions. RJ is particularly powerful while emoting visually. I have a difficult time saying that The Incredibles (/ Monster's Inc) or Over The Hedge had the best use of facial rigging to convey emotions; however, there is no doubt a great deal of work was invested in the characters. Things to watch for: RJ's personality expressed through his strutting and gestures (What's that? That's an SUV.), squash-and-stretch on Hammy's expressions, keep-alive on characters (breathing), grass deformation by walking (for simulations), and facial expressions on all characters.

If you haven't seen it, go out and enjoy it. It is a wonderful introduction to the summer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 22nd, 2006, 6:13 pm

So...do you work at Dreamworks or something?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 22nd, 2006, 6:16 pm

No such thing. Though I would love to work at any of the animation studios as part of the server operations team, I live in Texas which precludes the chance for employement at a studio.

I am a large fan of the movie, animation, and computer effects in general. =)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 22nd, 2006, 7:28 pm

I agree with what's said up there. Especially the facial expressions. I really noticed that in this movie, especially with Hammy, Vern and RJ.

Also, the whole scale thing. The end of the movie completely shows that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » May 24th, 2006, 9:25 pm

all i can say is OVER THE HEDGE is funny funny funny

THE BEST MOVIE OF 2006 GO SEE IT

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 24th, 2006, 9:48 pm

'Cept only 2006 is still kinda new, and it's a bit quick to judge it as the best movie of the year.

Y'know?...;)