Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » January 25th, 2005, 12:16 pm

James wrote:Boundin' was nominated last year.
http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00000973.html
Oh, yeah. Heh heh. *feeling sheepish*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 25th, 2005, 12:22 pm

askmike1 wrote:...Passion of the Christ should have been nominated (and won) for best foreign language film (yes, I think latin is as foreign as it gets)...
Passion, along with several other high profile films, was not eligible for the Foreign Language Oscar this year. Fortunately, it looks like the rules may be changing soon: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/in ... 1000747197.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » January 25th, 2005, 12:33 pm

James wrote:
AniMan wrote:Only one real surprise (somewhat) here: The Incredibles nomination for Best Original Screenplay. I'm very, very pleased to hear that because it seems that the Academy all too often overlooks animated films for this category, as though an animated film does not need a script or screenplay...
Shouldn't have been a huge surprise to readers of this thread! :)

BTW - Other animated films with Best Screenplay nominations include: Toy Story, Shrek, and Finding Nemo.
Oh, wow, I didn't even realize those had gotten nominated for screenplay. Oops! I retract my criticism then. :oops:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2005, 12:35 pm

That's the problem with early-in-the-year releases. They get forgotten and their home video releases don't do much to bolster them in the run up to the awards.

The best time to release a movie with Oscar clout is end of year, with the DVD soon after, as has happened with Eternal Sunshine, which has seen in garner a couple of nods.

I'm shocked as to SharkTale's inclusion. I enjoyed it enough, but it was little more than a slight diversion, but annoyed me by basically having the audacity to end with a song performance using animation that I was seeing every half an hour on TV for free (the Christina music video). I don't know, but the whole thing seemed overtly commercial and didn't have a lot of "artistic" merit at all.

Hopefully it'll be The Incredibles hands down. The worst that could happen is that they give it to Shrek (again) and pass on the "consolation prize" of Best Screenplay...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 25th, 2005, 1:10 pm

James wrote:Passion, along with several other high profile films, was not eligible for the Foreign Language Oscar this year. Fortunately, it looks like the rules may be changing soon: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/in ... 1000747197.
You know what I find horrible, that it can't win Foreign Film award because it is not from a specific nation, yet it cannot win Best Picture because it is a foreign film. Oscars have to be more fair and look at ALL the films since the previous nominations were annouced.

-Michael
http://mfw.frandt.com
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » January 25th, 2005, 1:40 pm

askmike1 wrote:
You know what I find horrible, that it can't win Foreign Film award because it is not from a specific nation, yet it cannot win Best Picture because it is a foreign film. Oscars have to be more fair and look at ALL the films since the previous nominations were annouced.

-Michael
Actually Foreign Film can win Best Picture at the Oscars. At the 1999 oscars Vita è bella, La (Life Is Beautiful) was nominated for Best Picture. And i agree with the Academy, i dont think The Passion should be nominated for Foreign Film because it isnt one, its an american film, and from what i hear (i havnt seen it) most people dont think that it should have been nominated for Best Picture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: My Predictions

Post by Inkan1969 » January 25th, 2005, 2:09 pm

Inkan1969 wrote:The Incredibles
Shrek 2
Shark Tale
And what did I tell you all?.... :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: My Predictions

Post by AniMan » January 25th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Inkan1969 wrote:
Inkan1969 wrote:The Incredibles
Shrek 2
Shark Tale
And what did I tell you all?.... :wink:
Yep, you nailed all three! Pretty good!
Shark Tale is the one from that list I did not see. What'd you think of it (if you saw it?) I didn't go see it because I was not impressed in the least by any of the trailers or teasers for this..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2005, 3:00 pm

SharkTale for me:
Ben wrote:I enjoyed it enough, but it was little more than a slight diversion, but annoyed me by basically having the audacity to end with a song performance using animation that I was seeing every half an hour on TV for free (the Christina music video). I don't know, but the whole thing seemed overtly commercial and didn't have a lot of "artistic" merit at all.
Well done, Inkan1969 - but who's gonna take home the gold?? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 25th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Like many people here, I'd like to see Incredibles win the Best Animated Film Oscar; however, I do think that Shrek 2 will win. Critics seemed to have loved the movie and since the first won, this film has a extra chance of winning. Overall, reviews seemed to have been good for Incredibles, but many critics complained that it was too adult oriented (and it was). Anywho, the only bad part about the Incredibles winning would be the corny headlines ("Incredible win at the Oscars", etc)

-Michael
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lamia » January 25th, 2005, 3:50 pm

why the hell is shark tale nominated.

was la prophétie des grenouilles released this year? is so, it really should be nominated.

I want Incredibles to win.

as for the animated short categories... I hope Ryan wins... it's truly an amazing film... but my guess is they'll give the award to Lorenzo, sadly...

Why isn't Rex Steele nominated? or even The Revoluion of the Crabs?

i hate the academy awards, it's as if they don't do any research before nominating something.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 25th, 2005, 5:11 pm

I am very shocked that Shark Tale received a Best Animated Feature Film nomination- especially considering that it once had (and may still have) the lowest score at Rotten Tomatoes for a major CGI film.

As to who will win, there's something I don't understand. The Incredibles received a nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Shrek 2 didn't. So wouldn't something be wrong if Shrek 2 beat The Incredibles in the Best Animated Feature Film category?

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see John Debney get a nomination for his score to The Passion of the Christ. I often thought that he deserved it, but didn't think he would get it. I was also glad to see James Newton Howard get a nomination for The Village.

One more shock for me, though, came from "Old Habits Die Hard" being excluded from the Best Original Song nominees. It won a number of awards, including a Golden Globe.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 26th, 2005, 10:09 am

"from what i hear (i havnt seen it) most people dont think that it should have been nominated for Best Picture."

Care to back that up with numbers? Every call in show I heard yesterday and several commentators were not surprised that it wasn't nominated but felt it should. Today they even said that this was the only film in the history of the Academy to be booed and shunned at the screenings. What does this tell you about the Academy voters? Especially when they nominated that one Jesus film about 10 years ago where he and the apostles were gay. Wasn't Passion of the Christ nominated for screenplay? How can you nominate a screenplay and not the film? It's like Jay Leno said last night "The film was good, the voters just found the story unbelievable."

The reason why we didn't see Michael Moore nominated is because 1.) he aired the flm on TV to swing the election, making it not eligable for a doccumentary Oscar. 2.) Hollywood would never nominate it for best picture because it reminds them that they lost the election. There's all this hype that Moore was snubbed, but he did it to himself. If he hadn't airred it on TV he probably would have wont best doc. So whatever spin they try to put on this, that's what it all comes dowm to.

These people hate family values, they hate tradition, and they hate truth. Plus these awards are always political, it has nothing to do with quality film making. That is why I don't think Incredibles will win. I'll put it this way, I'll be shocked to see it win.

As for foreign film, why weren't any of the LOrd of the Rings films nominated in that category? Surely FEllowship would have won there.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 26th, 2005, 10:10 am

"from what i hear (i havnt seen it) most people dont think that it should have been nominated for Best Picture."

Care to back that up with numbers? Every call in show I heard yesterday and several commentators were not surprised that it wasn't nominated but felt it should. Today they even said that this was the only film in the history of the Academy to be booed and shunned at the screenings. What does this tell you about the Academy voters? Especially when they nominated that one Jesus film about 10 years ago where he and the apostles were gay. Wasn't Passion of the Christ nominated for screenplay? How can you nominate a screenplay and not the film? It's like Jay Leno said last night "The film was good, the voters just found the story unbelievable."

The reason why we didn't see Michael Moore nominated is because 1.) he aired the flm on TV to swing the election, making it not eligable for a doccumentary Oscar. 2.) Hollywood would never nominate it for best picture because it reminds them that they lost the election. There's all this hype that Moore was snubbed, but he did it to himself. If he hadn't airred it on TV he probably would have wont best doc. So whatever spin they try to put on this, that's what it all comes dowm to.

These people hate family values, they hate tradition, and they hate truth. Plus these awards are always political, it has nothing to do with quality film making. That is why I don't think Incredibles will win. I'll put it this way, I'll be shocked to see it win.

As for foreign film, why weren't any of the LOrd of the Rings films nominated in that category? Surely FEllowship would have won there.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 26th, 2005, 12:18 pm

The reason why we didn't see Michael Moore nominated is because 1.) he aired the flm on TV to swing the election, making it not eligable for a doccumentary Oscar...
Keep in mind, though, that Moore pulled Fahrenheit 9/11 from the race for Best Documentary, in an effort to help get it a Best Picture nomination.
Wasn't Passion of the Christ nominated for screenplay? How can you nominate a screenplay and not the film?
No, the film only received nominations for cinematography, musical score, and makeup.