The Twilight Zone

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Twilight Zone

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2006, 4:11 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this series (watched hours and hours of it on New Year's) but the DVD is very expensive. (100$ a volume.)

It's amazing how it still holds up for all these years. If you've never seen this show, tune into Sci Fi at 1:00 in the morning (I think) and get scared silly. Rod Serling was a GENIUS. :)

I think my fave episode is "Eye of the Beholder" with the "ugly" woman who had a facelift to be beautiful.

Also, "The Dummy." Damn the directing in this show was phenomenal.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 20th, 2006, 9:41 pm

We recorded...about... 2,941,993 episodes with TeVo last year. I forgot the name of my favorite one but it involved a woman being attacked by tiny aliens who later turned out to be humans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2006, 6:20 pm

Yup! That's called "The Invaders".

I'm kind of a Zone geek.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

Thanks! I was wondering what it was called.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2006, 6:53 pm

Did you ever see "Living Doll" or the Talking Tina episode? :shock:

How about "Mirror Image"? (A woman waiting in a bus station realizes that her double is walking around the place.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2006, 8:41 pm

I saw the first half of "Living Doll", but the second half didn't record properly. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 15th, 2006, 12:50 am

Wow. i love this show.
i like "Eye of the Beholder" that one was shown to our class when i was in 8th grade. thats how i got caught on with the twilight zone. i also like the episode with the guy who steals the shoes from this dude and the shoes controll him or something like that. i also like the one with the actress who steals the youth out of people.
~a-G :wink:
oh how i wish i had TeVo... how much is it anyways? we were thiking about getting it last year but we could never find an accurate price.
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2006, 4:00 pm

I'm not sure how much TiVo costs, since I don't watch much television except for HBO...The Sopranos mostly, and parts of movies I like.

I recently saw "Eye of the Beholder" again--I think that's so awesome that they showed that in your class. :wink:

That's still probably my fave TZ episode...boy did it scare me the first time I saw it.

It's so emotional, amazingly shot, written, directed, acted--like a mini-film in itself.
BTW, I thought the "ugly" man at the end who was really handsome was very cute. :wink:
Trivia Note! :wink:

The vantriliquist in "The Dummy" who is tormented by the evil Willy is played by Cliff Robertson. Who you might also know as "Ben Parker" in Spidey 1 and 2.
:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 17th, 2006, 2:06 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I don't watch much television except for HBO...and parts of movies I like.
"Parts"?

That made me laugh, for some reason... :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 17th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Interestingly, "Eye of the Beholder" was remade for the recent Forrest Whitaker-hosted Twilight Zone. I can't remember if the redo changed much of the original's plot or not, though.

My favorite Twilight Zone episode is probably either "To Serve Man" or "Time Enough At Last." I think "To Serve Man" was the first episode I ever saw of the series.
Last edited by Josh on June 19th, 2006, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 17th, 2006, 10:20 pm

"Parts"?

That made me laugh, for some reason... Rolling Eyes

Often I come in in the middle, or I can't watch the whole thing. But if I have time I do. (the other night I saw all of "Lorenzo's Oil")

I have 7 HBOs where I live, so sometimes I channel surf from movie to movie.

Just last night, they had Revenge of the Sith, Spidey 2 and Batman Begins all at the same time!

:wink:

I liked "To Serve Man" as well. It still gives me chills when she says "It's a cookbook!" even though I know that line so well.

"Eye of the Beholder" was also one of the first episodes I ever saw.

There's a new TZ now? Didn't they re-make it back in the 80s too?

That and Tales From the Darkside. I was TERRIFIED of that show as a kid. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 19th, 2006, 6:01 pm

ShyViolet wrote:There's a new TZ now? Didn't they re-make it back in the 80s too?
Yeah, there have been a couple of attempts to bring back The Twilight Zone, as listed and explained at Wikipedia (http://tinyurl.com/munk2).
ShyViolet wrote:That and Tales From the Darkside. I was TERRIFIED of that show as a kid. :roll:
Unfortunately, I never saw much of that show. I've heard good things about it, though.

One of my favorite recent shows of a similar nature is the now-cancelled Night Visions (2001). The series featured some well-known actors, such as Bill Pullman, Cary Elwes, Brian Dennehy, Randy Quaid, Jack Palance, and Malcolm McDowell, among other popular stars.

My favorite Night Visions episodes are "A View Through the Window," "Quiet Please," "Darkness," "Neighborhood Watch," "Dead Air," and "After Life." Interestingly, "Quiet Please" was directed by Joe Dante, director of Looney Tunes: Back in Action and Gremlins.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 19th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Interesting. Here's something weird I found out in Wikepedia about one of the New TZ episodes: (fromt the 80s)

Two scientists create a holographic projector. One day a fetus appears in the projector. The two watch as the fetus matures into a woman and more and more one of the scientists begins to fall in love with this impossible creation.
[edit]

Trivia

* This was made into a one act stage musical by Alan Menken and paired with James Tiptree, Jr's "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" as a stage production titled "Weird Romance: Two One Act Musicals of Speculative Fiction". The James Tiptree Jr story "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" was made into an episode of the shortlived SciFi Channel anthology series "Welcome To Paradox".

Tales from the DarkSide had a really scary begininng. Usually that was as much as I could watch. You see a forest with woods and a stream and a narrator says:

"Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality. But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit... a Darkside."

Then the image kind of "flips over". This show was pretty popular in the 80s. :)

I've never seen Night Visions, although I might have heard of it. I know that Steven Spielberg got one of his big breaks directing an episode of Rod Serling's "Night Gallery" back in the 60s.

I don't think anything will ever top the original TZ.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 19th, 2006, 6:59 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I've never seen Night Visions, although I might have heard of it. I know that Steven Spielberg got one of his big breaks directing an episode of Rod Serling's "Night Gallery" back in the 60s.
If you ever have the chance - and can find when it's on, I think you should check Night Visions out. In my opinion, it might have been the best Zone-like show since Darkside. I think Visions was cancelled due to low ratings, not low quality.

Another good, somewhat recent anthology series was the interactive Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction. In each hour-long episode, viewers were challenged to choose which of five brief stories were true. The tales varied from weird to inspiring to downright nightmare-inducing.
ShyViolet wrote:I don't think anything will ever top the original TZ.
True... true... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2006, 1:28 pm

I love "Her Pilgrim Soul", one of the best TZ stories.

The 1980s version was pretty good. I was just listening to the Menken version the other day (imagine that!) on the way to set. It tries to be a bit like a Little Shop retread but without much of the Wierd Romance that the title suggests.

Spielberg's "Night Gallery" episode, with Joan Crawford, is likewise a classic and shows off some great ideas.