South Park

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » June 18th, 2006, 2:51 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Is Sky the UK channel where they show all the American stuff?
Well, they also show original British stuff like Kirsty's Home Videos and The Football Years. ;)
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 19th, 2006, 1:42 pm

The songs are probably one of the best things about that movie. Matt & Trey wrote FANTASTIC songs, with great music and lyrics.

I totally agree with you there. The songs are very hummable and catchy; just fun all around. My faves are probably "Quiet Mountain Town", "Brian Boytano" and "Kyle's Mom is a b****"

I also like "Up there." :wink: Oh yeah, and "Tommorow Night."

Oh and for anyone who missed it (like me! :wink: ) Comedy Central will be re-running the "Return of Chef" episode this Wednesday at 10 pm (Eastern time) Can't wait to see this ep.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 19th, 2006, 2:08 pm

I think the "la resistance" song (that you called "Tomorrow night" ) is THE best song in the entire movie. It's done so freaking well, it's amazing that it's a comedy movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 19th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Terrence: Looks like we may be out of luck!
Philip: Tommorow night, wer'e pretty f*****d!

:D

I think the song is supposed to be kind of a parody of songs from animated films but specifically the Le Miserables song "One day more" in which different people sing about their hopes at the same time.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Yes, it's specifically a Les Miz reference. I love how they get all the songs interwoven at that point, just as it would be in a big stage musical like that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 26th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I think that "Quiet Mountain Town" was a lot like the "old-fashioned" muscials of the 1940s, setting up the film and all.

It was also reminiscent of the opening of Beauty and the Beast, with Belle walking down the street singing and meeting the townspeople. (which was in itself a homage to Broadway)

Stan walks out of his house and sings: "Just another Sunday morning in my quiet mountain town," like Belle singing: "Every morning just the same/since the morning that we came/to this poor provincial town..."

And "Up There" was TOTALLY a riff on the "I want" songs of Disney. (with Satan on a balcony in hell looking out, like Quasi singing "Out There") :wink: :)

It would be SO AMAZING if Matt and Trey made another SP film. (I still have to see "Team America.")

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2006, 5:31 am

Well done, Vi, for getting the references... ;)

You should see TA:WP...now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2006, 4:21 pm

I just watched the South Park where Satan has a new boyfriend ("Chris") and Saddam wants him back anyway....it was beyond hilarious. :D

They also showed Cartoon Wars again...(part 1) I still think this episode is brilliant. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2006, 1:06 pm

South Park Season 8 (the "Mr. Jefferson" episode, "Woodland Critter Christmas", "Passion of the Jew") is coming out on August 29.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2006, 2:22 pm

I still gotta pick up 7!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Interesting, the "Trapped in the Closet" Scientology episode was actually nominated for an Emmy... :)

It was certainly a good episode but personally I think "Cartoon Wars" (the Family Guy riff) deserves it more....but I guess maybe it was just too close to home (dissing Fox, Comedy Central, etc...)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 11th, 2006, 2:42 pm

I can't wait until the October South Park release. Besides the Scientology episode, it's great that Matt & Trey are FINALLY letting the original South Park short "The Spirit of Christmas" be released in higher-quality formatting.

It's almost time to ditch that old MPEG video I have of it...

Too bad "Frosty Vs. Jesus" isn't on the DVD, though. That technically was the FIRST South Park pilot/prototype.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2006, 11:41 am

Maybe on the "Greatest Hits Vol 2" George!

Welcome back, BTW! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 20th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Wow, 10 years!

:)

What's your favorite ep??

Some of mine are:

South Park Critter Christmas

The Jeffersons

The Ben Stiller/J. Lo one

The Ike/Canada/Christmas ep.

The one where everyone thinks Cartman is psychic (forgot the name)

The Pet Semetary ripoff when Butters' father thinks he's dead.

The Spielberg/Lucas Raiders parody.

The Passion of the Jew

Cartman's Trapper-Keeper

Cartoon Wars (the Family Guy one)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2006, 10:07 pm

I think the new season is starting soon (not sure when, does anyone know?)

Also, here's what the boys would look like if they were "real"--even weirder than when the Simpsons were drawn realisitically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SouthPark.PNG