Change in Disney's logo

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 14th, 2006, 12:40 am

If you guys were expecting wild and different than you deserved to be disappointed! When other studios update their logos it is always something very familiar and in keeping with their historical logos. Disney's new logo is just a step forward from the old one. Not an "off the beaten path" wildly different step forward, and not a "one giant leap for mankind" huge step forward. Expecting anything more would be like getting disappointed because the new Universal logo still revolves around Earth and not some other planet! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » July 14th, 2006, 6:18 am

I agree completely with James... Please don't hit me people.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » July 14th, 2006, 11:25 am

James wrote:If you guys were expecting wild and different than you deserved to be disappointed! When other studios update their logos it is always something very familiar and in keeping with their historical logos. Disney's new logo is just a step forward from the old one. Not an "off the beaten path" wildly different step forward, and not a "one giant leap for mankind" huge step forward. Expecting anything more would be like getting disappointed because the new Universal logo still revolves around Earth and not some other planet! ;)
To me it's dissapointing because it is just implementation of old TV approach. I thought it's gonna be more like constant evolution into noble simplicity direction. I liked this more graphic logo style, and I thought that it will be the style of its presentation and maybe some facelifting to curves' shapes of logo itself that are going to change. Now it's more illustrative like DW animated logo. I think WETA just did what Disney wanted them to do, and did it good from technological point of view but it was the concept that failed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2006, 11:29 am

Yeah, somewhere around here someone suggested to have Stitch biting off part of the Disney castle. I actually think that would have been cute. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2006, 11:53 am

Stitch biting the castle is LAME-O-RAMA!

You can NOT tie a company wide logo to one film/character just like you can't tie Pixar into this thing.

My only fault with the logo is that it didn't bring anything new to the table, unlike the blue castle and burnt orange stylized graphic idents.

This was a step back, and the liquid-signature font looks dated in a bad 1980s CGI way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2006, 3:48 pm

You can NOT tie a company wide logo to one film/character

Maybe but...what about Mickey Mouse? (Like the DisneyToon opening)

I'd've loved to see something with Mickey.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 14th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I could stand something with Mickey - in fact, I would enjoy it - but Stitch is no Mickey Mouse in my book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2006, 12:03 pm

but Stitch is no Mickey Mouse in my book.
Oh, I agree. Stitch isn't my first choice for a logo--I just thought it sounded cute. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 2nd, 2006, 10:11 am

Here's the full new Disney logo. The video is very dark and not great quality. The original is much better looking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2006, 6:31 pm

It's still got DreamWorks' opening shot, still looks like The Wonderful World Of Color circa 1962, and still has already-dated CGI liquid text that looks like it spilled out of The Abyss or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2006, 11:46 pm

The Wonderful World Of Color circa 1962,
Like I said...bring on the kaleidescopes! :wink: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » August 11th, 2006, 9:41 am

I think the new logo is beautiful. I get the chills when I see the flag and hear When You Wish Upon a Star. The animation is beautiful and I love the fireworks, boat, train and various other items in the segment.
My only fault with the logo is that it didn't bring anything new to the table, unlike the blue castle and burnt orange stylized graphic idents.
Are you talking about this new logo? Because you are right.... except for, you know, the landscape, the stars, the boat, the train, the fireworks, the CGI..........
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2006, 11:47 am

Bringing CGI to something is a bonus??

Shouldn't it be the tool that makes it happen? And shouldn't it do more than recreate - with added bits - an opening of a rival studio's logo and TV show main titles from 1962?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » August 12th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Were you expecting a completely new logo? Because there's no way in the world they would have done that. When has any major studio completely changed their logo in the past 20 years? What all the studios do is use CGI, use camera techniques to show how new it is (zooming in/out, etc) and add something extra. Take Warner Bros. All they did was add the zoomout from the studio to the logo & change it to CG. That's all Disney was ever going to do.

Now to me, I think Disney struck just the right balance. It has enough of the old and the new. And at no time did I ever think of Dreamworks during it. But if you don't like it, fine...that's your opinion.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » August 12th, 2006, 1:56 pm

I like the new logo. It reminds me of old-fashioned Disney in a way.