Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2005, 1:41 pm

A film like Spidey 2 isn't completely out of the realms of winning a major Oscar...

Anyone remember a little film, released just last year, called Return Of The King, which was a big win and step forward for fantasy films being taken seriously.

We'll see another one in a year or two take home an award like this. Spidey 3, perhaps? :)

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 27th, 2005, 3:50 pm

"Number 2 is only your speculation. It's extremely unlikely that anyone would not nominate a film simply because "it reminds them who lost the election". We're reminded every day who lost (and who won) the election when we turn on the news, so your second reason is moot and unfounded."

No, I've heard at least 3 crittics/Academy people say the same thing. It's not unfounded. Same as they booed Passion of the Christ -- those who attended the screenings.

"But it is ironic that ultimately it is Moore who shot himself in the foot, so to speak, by pushing for best picture."

They seem to neglect he did it to himself in the media....but "They don't care what the rules say" when they want something or someone to win a title.

"The top story on his website right now is "Fahrenheit 9/11 Named Best Picture of the Year by the American People"! He has no shame!"

I thought Passion of the Christ earned that people's choice award?

"Anyone remember a little film, released just last year, called Return Of The King, which was a big win and step forward for fantasy films being taken seriously. "

They couldn't ignore Lord of the Rings though. By Return of the King it had become so huge that if they had snubbed it their blatant prejidice against fantasy/sci fi would have become more than obvious.

BTW, did you hear Rush Limbaugh plug Animated-News on his show today?
:P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 27th, 2005, 3:56 pm

We'll see another one in a year or two take home an award like this. Spidey 3, perhaps?
I hope.

Also, let's not forget about Pirates of the Caribbean. I remember back in the early summer of '03, there were many people who thought that film would bomb. Who would have thought back then that a Best Actor Oscar nomination would have come out of PotC?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 27th, 2005, 5:57 pm

First of all, I'd much rather be in a film (like 'Passion' or 'Pirates) that makes over $300m & get few Oscar nods, then be in one (like 'Aviator') that gets many oscar nods but won't make it to $100m. I'd rather have the people like it than the accademy like it.
Not to mention it was spoken in a largely DEAD language
I know why the film was disqualified but I think it shouldn't have been. The category clearly states FOREIGN language. Despite whether it is a popular language (like spanish) or a dead language (like latin) it is still a foreign language. If an alien came down and submitted a film in Martian language, it is still a foreign language. :)

As for Passions, there is no other way he could have ended the film. This was based on something that happened. It's like making a film on the Revolutionary War and saying "I want Britain to win because it would make a more dramatic and oscarworthy ending." You can't tamper with history. Despite your beliefs, Jesus was a real man who went through the harsh treatment Gibson portrayed (whether he was the son of God is your belief).

Finally, as for animated feature, you have to forget that it is a sequel and judge it on it's own. If Cinderella was a sequel to Snow White, would that affect Cinderella in any way? IMO, Monsters Inc. was better than Incredibles...Shrek beat Monsters Inc... Critics say that Shrek 2 was better than Shrek. Using that logic, Shrek 2 should win. Also, don't underestimate the power of the underdog. Remember last year's animated short category? Everyone on the internet was either rooting for Boundin' or Destino. There WERE no other nominees. However, both shorts lost and Harvey Crumpet won.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2005, 6:51 pm

True... true... :)

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 27th, 2005, 7:10 pm

"As for Passions, there is no other way he could have ended the film. This was based on something that happened."

Gibson didn't have to end on Him emerging from the tomb. He could have gone on to tell the rest of the account we typically see in film. I understand why he ended there (to signify the start of the Christian church) but many would have liked to have seen the rest of the scriptural story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2005, 7:31 pm

At least Christians aren't dependent on Mel for their knowledge of Christ.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2005, 7:35 pm

You guys do know that there are a lot of other Oscar topics besides The Passion and F 9/11...

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2005, 8:00 pm

The Incredibles!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Special_Ed wrote:"As for Passions, I understand why he ended there (to signify the start of the Christian church) but many would have liked to have seen the rest of the scriptural story.
Sequel.

Passion II: The Christ Returns... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 27th, 2005, 9:42 pm

I still can't understand why the Oscars has to put the same 4 nominees in almost every category. 2004 was home to many great films (one being Harry Potter) and yet 90% of the nominees debuted in December. I think the Academy needs a major overhaul. Currently, I think they are a group of old men (I think they look like the surpreme court justices). They need new blood in the commitee. Not all good movies have to be small company movies. Last year, the only 'risky' thing they did was nominate Johnny Depp for best actor. Past that, they've been very conservative, usually picking small company films (with the notable exceptions of Titanic and RotK).

As for animation though, I'm wondering about next year. It will be Pixar-less and Shrek-less. I hope Chicken Little wins next year.
-Michael

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 27th, 2005, 9:45 pm

I thought all the members select from all the films each year. Not a bunch of old guys. I think DEcember movies do well because they are the most fresh in the Academy/public minds.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 27th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Ben wrote: Sequel.

Passion II: The Christ Returns... ;)
Either that or

The Passion of the Christ: The Resurection
The Passion of the Christ: The Return of the King
-Michael

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2005, 10:04 pm

Last year I remember walking past the posters of Now Playing films. As we passed them I wondered if someone at the theatre was having some fun. The first poster was "The Passion of the Christ". The second was "Miracle". The third was "The Return of the King"!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 27th, 2005, 10:06 pm

Special_Ed wrote:I thought all the members select from all the films each year. Not a bunch of old guys.
Yes, the nominees are chosen by the group associated with the category (Directors choose from the Director category, etc). But every year they have the president of the academy come out and talk. That guys an old guy so that's how I picture the whole commitee.
-Michael