The Last Days of Coney Island / Dragon's Lair

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Banned
Banned

The Last Days of Coney Island / Dragon's Lair

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 8:40 pm

Ok, who here is familiar with Ralph Bakshi? If yes, what are your thoughts on Ralph Bakshi's latest film? And you know, this could get my vote for best animated film of 2007.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2006, 11:50 am

A link would be nice. Some info on this??

Seems Bakshi is as confused as his films. He said he wasn't going to make another animated film. He said Wizards was the only thing he was ever proud of and the only film of his that he would provide a commentary for. Then came the Fire And Ice DVD and - hey! - he was providing a commentary.

The only film he'd consider making now - he said - was a sequel to Wizards, but since the DVD tanked, Fox said "no", but here he is supposedly making a new movie.

Any info on this? Style/cast/story/crew...? Certainly interesting to see that he has been given the moolah to make something - I wonder if this will be the hit he's needed for quite some time?

Great title, I'll give him that! :)

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 24th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Check out this

http://www.ralphbakshi.com/forum/viewto ... ef01138958

And the film's IMDB page

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0446728/

And this is the plot

The Last Days of Coney Island tells a hardboiled tale of a NYPD detective, the Lady of the Evening he alternately loved and busted, and the seedy characters that haunt the streets of New York City's run-down amusement district.

Personally, the film sounds really interesting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Sounds like the rest of Bakshi's mixed up animated worlds to me...

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 24th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Ben wrote:Sounds like the rest of Bakshi's mixed up animated worlds to me...
But it sounds cool plus it's a return to 2-D animation.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 5th, 2006, 6:54 pm

This project seems interesting, I, myself am a fan of Ralph Bakshi so this new Bakshi film is just as interesting as the rest of his films well Cool World may or may not be an exception.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 5th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Bakshi is 'hit-or-miss' with me .. but his films always have something interesting going on .. I recently re-watched CHRISTMAS IN TATTERTOWN, and while it was a 'mess' story-wise, I very much enjoyed watching it, for its sheer 'absurd' factor. I'm definitely intrigued to see something new from him.

Now, if only Don Bluth & Gary Goldman could get a film off the ground ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 5th, 2006, 8:56 pm

The title kinda reminds me of the book Requiem For A Dream is a based on--Last Exit to Brooklyn....which takes place in....Coney Island. :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Last Days Of Coney Island And Dragon's Lair The Movie

Post by Darkblade » November 1st, 2008, 9:57 am

I cannot wait for this movie
Last edited by Darkblade on February 24th, 2009, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Last Days Of Coney Island And Dragon's Lair The Movie

Post by EricJ » November 1st, 2008, 1:43 pm

Darkblade wrote:Ralph Bakshi{Director of Fritz the cat, Heavy Traffic and Coonskin} Is into works of a new animated feature film... About a NYPD detective, the prostitute he alternately loves and arrests--
Yep, that right there qualifies it as a Bakshi movie... :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2008, 2:40 pm

He actually announced this at Comic-Con this year, and it sounds very similar to ideas he was working on for Cool World before Paramount took it from him.

Dragon's Lair would be great...but it's been rumored for quite a while now...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 1st, 2008, 3:07 pm

Ben wrote: Dragon's Lair would be great...but it's been rumored for quite a while now...
Its not rumor Ben, Its true... Its just that Don Bluth is having a hard time finding a company to take interest of it... I justed asked a question to mr.goldman and Mr.bluth about the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 2nd, 2008, 5:27 am

Don Bluth, sadly, never gets any respect. He does good work, but after the undeserved failure of Titan AE, no one wants to give him funding (or if they do it's for CGI not traditional animation).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 2nd, 2008, 5:51 am

There's also the matter of several other box-office 'failures' (some deserved, others not as much) which he'd directed at the Sullivan-Bluth Studio in Ireland.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Don Bluth as an artist and director .. but his financial reputation within the animation business is .. 'infamous', shall we say :? (although, as eddievalient points out, not necessarily due to any direct fault on Mr. Bluth's part).

I would very much like to see another film from him and Gary Goldman, though! .. and from Ralph Bakshi, as well. We shall have to wait and see what happens.

---------------------

And, yes .. a Dragon's Lair movie has been planned since at least 2000; Bluth wrote about it at length in his (sadly, short-lived) magazine of that time, Toon Talk.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 2nd, 2008, 10:59 am

Can't wait, if only it's true!