Back to the Future

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Too expensive?

Plus BTTF is no longer the hot franchise it once was, though there have been rumors of a new female youngster hopping in the DeLorean and going time travelling with the Doc.

He better make sure he's got those 8.21 jigawatts (or a bolt of lightning)!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm

A female with the Doc? Oh please. Sounds like The Next Karate Kid to me...(plus he's with Clara now! :( )

Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't it 1.21 Gigawatts? :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 6:11 am

Now why in the world did I think that? How odd!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 6:51 am

Um... guys, they've already made a fourth Back to the Future film. Here's the trailer for it:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 6:15 pm

I knew someone had to post it! :)

That was and remains possibly the best movie-mash trailer ever made. They've got everything so down right perfect that even I wanna see that movie!

Fave moments:
Doc and the "nipple clamps" :shock:
"So what'll we do?"
"Well, I hope I'm not disturbing anything"
"This is my Doc...ah, UNCLE..."
"Hell, I'm in it with you and even I don't understand it"

Expertly done. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 27th, 2006, 6:53 pm

There was an issue of STARLOG magazine (a year or two after the first movie) which had an article titled "The Other Marty McFly," which was pretty fun. It postulated that there were two Marty's, who basically switched 'time streams' in the film.

Marty 'A' starts in a 1985 where his parents are 'dorky', goes back to 1955, messes-up his parents' first meeting, 'fixes' it, and gets Doc to help him get back to the future .. where his parents are now successful and 'cool'. He also warns Doc Brown about the Libyans, enabling him to thwart death.

Marty 'B' starts in the 1985 where his parents are successful, goes back to 1955, but is able to return to 1985 right away. But, because he didn't mess with his parents' first meeting, they are now 'dorky' .. and because he didn't warn Doc Brown, he is now dead.

Good thing we followed the adventures of Marty 'A' ..! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Wow, that's weird! :wink:

It kinda reminds me of somethinig Roger Ebert wrote in his BTTF II review: How do we know which timeline is really the "correct" one--isn't that like "playing G-d"? ow do we know that the alternate 1985 timeline that resulted from Biff's having the book is "bad", while the normal 1985 (or at least the "better" one that came from George's finally standing up to Biff) is the one that should exist?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2006, 9:42 am

Well, he hasn't heard of the dimension effect has he?

Apparently, ever decision we make has the effect of splitting everything off into a separate dimension. Therefore, if I choose to have cereal in the morning that creates one "timeline", but somewhere out there is the version of me that went for toast.

Some suspect that there are quite literally billions upon billions of alternate realities, so Marty really is just "jumping" from timeline to timeline rather than really alternating it.

As to which it SHOULD be, well that's down to good and evil and is the same argument as to ANY major movie. Should Indy Jones bother to stop the Nazis grabbing the Ark or the Holy Grail? Should Superman sit around and not bother to save the world from massive earthquakes? Should Marty McFly stop Biff Tannen's twisted schemes at any cost? I should think so!

And then you get into this argument... if time wasn't supposed to be manipulated, why did "fate" step in and hand Doc Brown the Flux Capacitor? How come time travel turned out to actually work if it was not supposed to be used?

Marty doesn't really change the world with his adventures, he only makes things better for his own timeline. Not like Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap, who goes hopping around changing untold lives. I always thought it would have been cool if Sam had leaped into a body to change their course but knew that it would have an adverse affect on someone's life he'd previously "fixed" (due to the ripple effect). After all, he did change a LOT of timelines... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 28th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Not long ago I was browsing in the local Doller General store and found four tapes of the BTTF cartoon series for $2 apiece. I always love to find deals like that.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 28th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Oh G-d that Brokeback to the future thing....THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

And the really weird thing is, I actually thought it was really sweet, it seemed like it would be a good movie. :wink: :wink:

(Also I think TBS or TNT did something like that with Frodo and Sam--it's also on youtube if you look for it. But this is even funnier. :D )

Well, he hasn't heard of the dimension effect has he?

Apparently, ever decision we make has the effect of splitting everything off into a separate dimension. Therefore, if I choose to have cereal in the morning that creates one "timeline", but somewhere out there is the version of me that went for toast.

Some suspect that there are quite literally billions upon billions of alternate realities, so Marty really is just "jumping" from timeline to timeline rather than really alternating it.

As to which it SHOULD be, well that's down to good and evil and is the same argument as to ANY major movie. Should Indy Jones bother to stop the Nazis grabbing the Ark or the Holy Grail? Should Superman sit around and not bother to save the world from massive earthquakes? Should Marty McFly stop Biff Tannen's twisted schemes at any cost? I should think so!
Wow, that's as good an explanation as any, Ben. :)

I've heard about that alternate timeline theory as well...supposadly there might be parallel universes where we act differently. (weird :? )

I like BTTF because it has a positive message that our actions CAN change our future and it's up to us to implement change in our own lives.
It's a real nice contrast to the interesting, trippy but extremely downbeat Butterfly Effect film. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 29th, 2006, 12:25 am

Re: Roger Rabbit

How exactly did they do that creepy scene where Judge Doom, after being flattened, rises up into a "flat" toon/human character? Was it animated as well?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2006, 2:02 am

ShyViolet wrote:Re: Roger Rabbit
How exactly did they do that creepy scene where Judge Doom, after being flattened, rises up into a "flat" toon/human character? Was it animated as well?
Hm? I always wondered that as well :wink: but IMO it looks animated than puppetry but I could be wrong :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2006, 8:17 am

I <I>believe</I> that was stop motion animation with a puppet, although I could be wrong. But I do have an interview on tape with Bob Z and he has this puppet of Judge Doom on his shelf, so I'm assuming that's it. I don't think it's cel animation, though there could be additional effects added to it by ILM to make it look cel animated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 29th, 2006, 9:01 am

Think I'll check youtube...nah. :roll: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 29th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I like the first the best...Second one is good too, though the future scenes were a bit cheesy.
Wendy's Jane wrote:Gee. Ben makes me want to see these movies ASAP. :D
HOLY. CRAP. You have not LIVED until you have seen these movies! :D