Robots

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Robots

Post by BlueHat » November 11th, 2004, 11:05 pm

Is anyone else excited about this? I am. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for Ewan McGregor.

http://www.robotsmovie.com/index.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 11th, 2004, 11:21 pm

I thought the preview was really funny =)

I'm looking forward to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2004, 5:41 am

Nope, not even slightly interested by it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

ROBOTS --- Are you looking forward to it?

Post by AniMan » February 11th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Just curious to know how interested people are in this movie. I think it looks incredible. I really want to see this. What about you?
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » February 11th, 2005, 5:03 pm

I am curious about it. I like Robin Williams and visually it looks great. But i think that the story will be weak.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 11th, 2005, 5:12 pm

The character design looks to me like a college CGI project. I am open to being pleasantly surprised but more than any other CGI film to date it looks like the producers simply said, "Hey, let's do something with computer animation!" I will freely admit I am basing my impressions on very little information.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 11th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Looking forward to it? Yep. I almost worship Blue Sky's first film, "Ice Age". And it has Robin Williams for crying out loud! AND its supposed to have the final trailer for a little film called "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith".

In other words, I'll be going as soon as possible.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 12th, 2005, 2:31 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Looking forward to it? Yep. I almost worship Blue Sky's first film, "Ice Age". And it has Robin Williams for crying out loud! AND its supposed to have the final trailer for a little film called "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith".

In other words, I'll be going as soon as possible.
The final Revenge of the Sith trailer? Just another reason to see Robots. Thanks for the tip! You just made a Star Wars fanatic very happy! :D
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 12th, 2005, 2:39 am

Christian wrote:The character design looks to me like a college CGI project. I am open to being pleasantly surprised but more than any other CGI film to date it looks like the producers simply said, "Hey, let's do something with computer animation!" I will freely admit I am basing my impressions on very little information.
Really? I don't think it looks like "college CGI" at all. They've created this fantastic, retro-future look coupled with great metallic textures. I saw the trailers online and in the theater. Visually I found it very detailed. Note how Robin Williams character (the red robot -- I don't know his name at the moment) is made up of various pieces of various mechanical objects, such as an old fashioned water pump.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 12th, 2005, 8:48 am

not really looking forward.. it looks lame. I didn't like Ice Age at all, but I guess I'll check this one out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 12th, 2005, 9:08 am

I would say "Oh, well. It's all robots, so it looks like they're taking the easy way out, since robots can't be that hard to make or animate", except that there seems to be a lot of little details on the robots. so meh.

I'm looking forward to to it. And I love love LOVED ice age. So yeah. Yay robots!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2005, 12:18 pm

Interested/curious.

Love the look, but Williams' over-hyper hamming in the trailer did bash me over the head a bit.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 12th, 2005, 1:47 pm

I am also only interested in the film. I mean, it doesn't look bad, but I am afraid that Williams is going to overpower the film. That wouldn't be a bad thing, if he was the main character. But he's not.

In Aladdin, Genie was a scene-stealer, but it was done in a manner that allowed the story to flow. On the other hand, in Aladdin and the King of Thieves, scenes would practically stop just so Genie could do an impersonation of someone or break into a comedy act. I am afraid Robots will be like the latter.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 13th, 2005, 3:57 am

I say, "Meh."

It really doesn't look that interesting to me and the fact that the main characters are robots sort of plays against it. I can only stand to look at so much shiny metal, chrome, and rust before I get sick of NOT seeing anything that's organic.

There's also the Robin Williams' factor. Like most people who know Williams' reputation, he has a tendency to be a bit TOO ON all the time. You know, he's spastic and just won't shut up and let things be quiet for a while. It's how he is in real life, but honestly it makes it hard to get the nerve to see pictures that the guy's in. It was cute for a while when he was doing Mork & Mindy, but that's been his shtick for nearly 30 years now in 90% of the films he's done and it's hard to sit through that for the 20th time...!

It took a while for Aladdin to grow on me because of Williams' spazziness. The first time I saw Aladdin, I thought to myself that "this film isn't as good as Beauty & the Beast was and frankly none of the characters have the charm Ariel did, either" and a lot of it was that the Genie overpowered Aladdin by sheer presence. That's a big weakness in that film and when you have someone as loud as Williams is, it doesn't help matters.

There's also the small fact that I have an ingrained bias against a certain blogger who's been plugging this film for months because he wrote the stupid book about it. His hypocrisy on this is something that's kind of rankled me for a while, but I've kept quiet about it for the most part....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » February 13th, 2005, 5:36 am

I may see it in cinemas if I can, if I can't, then I won't cry and I'll go and rent it.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]