AV Forum Member

Animaniacs

Post by ShyViolet » February 11th, 2005, 8:25 pm

Anyone remember the "Wheel of Morality?"

"Wheel of morality: turn, turn, turn. Tell us the lesson that we should learn."

Dot: "Who invented the wheel of Morality anyway?"
Yakko: "The execs at the Fox Kids Network."

:lol:

It kind of makes you think of execs at Disney making stupid movies and injecting "life lessons" that mean nothing after a while....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 11th, 2005, 8:43 pm

First off, the quote in your sig is one of my all time favorite simpsons quotes.

Anyway, about animaniacs. I was watching it the other day, and was just marveling at how incredibly funny it was. I mean, when I was a kid, I enjoyed it, but the jokes are just SO DAMNED FUNNY now that I'm older, and able to appreciate them. ESEPECIALLY with Slappy the Squirrel.

They did a Slappy cartoon where woodstock had gathered around her tree, they did this like... five minute bit about the band "The Who" that was like the "Who's on first base" routine. It was wonderful. Then there was the cartoons about like... Howard Stern and stuff like that. AND THEN, of course, there were the fabulous songs they had on there. The multiplication song. The Magellen song. The Monkey Song. Yakko's World (Amazing). Wakko's America (Helped me A LOT with remembering the states and their capitols). And the others. Then Chicken Boo. And Katie Kaboom. And Mindy/Buttons. Minerva Mink. Pinky & The brain.

But my FAVORITE from animaniacs, is the Goodfeathers. Just... It's brilliant. I know, no other way to describe it. It's SO damn funny.

And speaking of these shows. Remember Freakazoid? Oh GOD. That show.

...That show was one of the funniest cartoons i've watched. It was SO ahead of it's time. And hell, even the theme songs lyrics.
(Froid the barber cuts his hair. Freakazoid. Chimpanzee)
(So stay tuned to this station. If not we'll be unemployed)

Oh, and Hystoria (Is that how it's spelled?) was great as well.

asldkfjasdlkfj <3

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 11th, 2005, 9:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my sig.
:wink:
I loved the Goodfeathers too! "The Godpigeon" always mumbling advice and what have you....The Pesto beating up on Squit.....every time.......I loved Freakazoid too...especially the one where Dexter/Freakazoid makes friends with that alien a la ET.....

Chicken Boo and Pinky and the Brain were my favorite.

"You wear a disguise
to look like human guys
but you're not a man
you're a Chicken Boo."

"Come, Pinky, we must prepare for tommorow night."
"Why, Brain? What are we going to do tommorow night?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 12th, 2005, 2:23 am

Ditto on all of the above! I love Animaniacs. Pinky and the Brain became a favorite of mine (and, eventually, my kids as well :D ) with the witty dialogue and outlandish plots. My favorite episode was the one where Brain becomes a stand-up comic by insulting the audience, who find what he says to be hillarious. "REPUGNANT!" :lol: :lol:
POIT!

And Freakazoid? I felt it was one of the funniest cartoons around at the time. I think they cancelled the show waaaay too soon. It was a great satire of the superhero genre.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2005, 12:32 pm

All the spoofs were spot on.

Remember the Robin Hood/Arrow guy? And the Johnny Quest/Filmation spoofs?

That's some fun stuff!

We never got Hysteria! over here in the UK, but rumors of DVD releases of Tiny Toons (which was never as funny as it thought it was), Animaniacs (the show Tiny Toons wanted to be) and Freakazoid means that we may finally see it here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 12th, 2005, 2:51 pm

I loved Tiny Toons. Especially the movie, and the one where Babs goes ona search for that old black and white cartoon star, Honey.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2005, 7:15 pm

The movie, How I Spent My Vacation, is one of my favorite direct-to-video features. It really works - taking the TV show one notch up, and was certainly the best of the Tiny Toons output.

Never saw the Honey episode... was that anything to do with Warner's very early star Bosko? His girlfriend was called Honey I believe, and it sounds like it would have been a cool "in-joke".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 12th, 2005, 9:49 pm

That was exactly what the show was about.

Bosko and Honey.

But as color started coming in, they lost work, and eventually Honey just faded out of existance (apparently), because there was no more laugher. Bosko went searching for her forever, and she never was found again. So babs went on this big mission to find them.

I thought it was a really good episode.

I always liked Tiny Toons. ESPECIALLY the whole "ducky go down the hooooooooooooooooole" "elelator go down the hoooooooooooole" "eletor go up the hole, elelator STOP. eleator go down the hole, elelator STOP" thing. SO AWESOME.

The only thing i didn't like about it, was that, a lot of the episodes of this really weird animation that's kinda hard to watch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

And one time Tiny Toons mentioned Jeffrey Katzenberg!! (no, seriously!)
(When he was still at Diz.)

It was this weird episode where Buster gets to see what things would be like if he was never born....

....Plucky is in charge of the show and it stars him and Babs. He drops an anvil on Babs and Buster says: "You can't drop an anvil on Babs. What are you, goofy?"

And Plucky says: "No, and I resent that comparison. What are you, a spy from Disney?"

They throw Buster out, and then Plucky turns to the camera and says: "Nice try, Katzenberg!"

True!!!!!!! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SingingDuckGirl » February 21st, 2005, 7:12 pm

I usually don't post but I have to rant about this!
Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were so awesome! I can't wait until they come on DVD, since it seems so impossible to catch them now (Tiny Toons used to be on nickelodeon at early saturday mornings about 2 years ago and I made an effort to wake up and see it) But they were so creative and fun! And I found the Tiny Toons movie at a used bookstore for 99 cents! Woohoo!
Nick's tried to revive these shows on their network a couple of times. I remember once they actually tried to pass off old Pinky and the Brain reruns as a Nicktoon for about a month. Why didn't all of the kids get over the fact that the cartoons looked old and watched them so they would stay on? I made my little cousins watch Tiny Toons once (when they were on the early morning slot) and they loved it! They had never watched it before though! Ha, one of the episodes they saw was the Bosko and Honey episode! The other was the one where Plucky wants to star in Tim Burton's new Batman movie! :) And the baby plucky episodes were so great!
And Animaniacs! I still have old videos! I had a marathon last year and watched them all-so great! Slappy is hilarious! And especially the one where Skippy can't stop crying about the Bambi spoff, /Bumbi/! "Bumbi's mom is...dead! Wahh!!"
Yay :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SingingDuckGirl » February 21st, 2005, 7:14 pm

I usually don't post but I have to rant about this!
Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were so awesome! I can't wait until they come on DVD, since it seems so impossible to catch them now (Tiny Toons used to be on nickelodeon at early saturday mornings about 2 years ago and I made an effort to wake up and see it) But they were so creative and fun! And I found the Tiny Toons movie at a used bookstore for 99 cents! Woohoo!
Nick's tried to revive these shows on their network a couple of times. I remember once they actually tried to pass off old Pinky and the Brain reruns as a Nicktoon for about a month. Why didn't all of the kids get over the fact that the cartoons looked old and watched them so they would stay on? I made my little cousins watch Tiny Toons once (when they were on the early morning slot) and they loved it! They had never watched it before though! Ha, one of the episodes they saw was the Bosko and Honey episode! The other was the one where Plucky wants to star in Tim Burton's new Batman movie! And the baby plucky episodes were so great!
And Animaniacs! I still have old videos! I had a marathon last year and watched them all-so great! Slappy is hilarious! And especially the one where Skippy can't stop crying about the Bambi spoff, /Bumbi/! "Bumbi's mom is...dead! Wahh!!"
Yay
Dad-Gum!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 21st, 2005, 11:57 pm

The funny thing about Animaniacs is that I felt just about every SUPPORTING character was BETTER than the Warner Bros. (and sister, Dot) themselves! The main characters were just annoying and I rarely laughed at them. The best short ever done with the Warners was the one where the writers took a swipe at practically every major animated TV show producers over the past 30 years. You know, the episode where the chairman loaned out the Warners to practically EVERY CHEAP cartoon studio in Burbank? :lol:

Goodfeathers I liked. The only problem is that only adults who had seen the movie Goodfellas -- the BEST gangster movie since the first Godfather movie -- would get the jokes.

(I have a major mojo for good gangster movies. You can't believe the hernia I'm getting over saving up to get the Warner Bros. gangster set...!)

Rita and Runt I could take or leave. I really felt these two were the weakest supporting characters of all except perhaps Katie Kaboom who was a one-trick supporting character.

Minerva Mink was a great character who got short-changed simply because she was TOO sexy for network executives. I think she only appeared in 3 standalone shorts and was relegated to background scenery afterwards. It's funny that Disney can draw sexy gals in G-rated movies but WB execs get a conniption over one well-drawn gal on a syndicated TV show. Minerva Mink was also simply the best voicework that Julie Brown (the comedienne, not the VJ) ever did.

And ah, Pinky and the Brain... Probably the finest two WB characters to be produced since the late 1940s. I'm serious. I think this duo is as good as any of the classic Looney Tunes. Even though I've gotten annoyed many times by the fact that Maurice LaMarche's voicework was overlooked and that a lot of people still don't see the brilliance that is our arrogant Brain, it's still a great comedy team. My favorite P & B episode still has to be the Titanic episode with surprisingly good voicework by Jim Belushi as the demented Jack Ryan ("Hunt for Red October") spoof.

I'm not surprised the Pinky & the Brain TV show burned out quick. It was just too much in a short period of time. When Elmyra was added to the mix, there was no question the show had jumped the shark...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2005, 12:16 pm

Goodfeathers I liked. The only problem is that only adults who had seen the movie Goodfellas -- the BEST gangster movie since the first Godfather movie -- would get the jokes.

(I have a major mojo for good gangster movies. You can't believe the hernia I'm getting over saving up to get the Warner Bros. gangster set...!)

So how come you don't like SharkTale??

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 22nd, 2005, 8:20 pm

because it sucked.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2005, 10:17 pm

And ah, Pinky and the Brain... Probably the finest two WB characters to be produced since the late 1940s. I'm serious. I think this duo is as good as any of the classic Looney Tunes. Even though I've gotten annoyed many times by the fact that Maurice LaMarche's voicework was overlooked and that a lot of people still don't see the brilliance that is our arrogant Brain, it's still a great comedy team. My favorite P & B episode still has to be the Titanic episode with surprisingly good voicework by Jim Belushi as the demented Jack Ryan ("Hunt for Red October") spoof.

I think Pinky and the Brain was best in five-to-ten minute format. Stretched to a half an hour wasn't right. Maurice is AWESOME however...you should see his work on the critic.

-Orsen Wells: "Rosebud frozen peas...full of country goodness and green
pea-ness. Wait, that's terrible!"

because it sucked.
Ah, I haven't seen it yet actually. But when I do I'll post my opinion.