Happy Feet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Ahh, gotcha.

I think the detail is all there on the trailer, but just "not coming through" due to motion blur/quality, etc...

Of course a poster always has that much more attention brought to it as well, seeing as they are the central images in promoting a movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 18th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I'll tell you what those posters both are:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 19th, 2006, 7:46 am

Ah, yes, that's true.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 2nd, 2006, 7:34 am

Comingsoon.net has a great behind the scenes look at Happy Feet.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17313

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 8:35 am

Nice.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 2nd, 2006, 4:38 pm

This movie is getting a LOT of backing-up from WB. Everywhere I go, it seems I see penguins!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 6:26 pm

Nice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 2nd, 2006, 7:03 pm

This should do pretty well. As long as WB has good marketing for it, anyway...Whenever a trailer plays in a theater I'm in, the audience all smiles stupidly and starts muttering giddily with each other. It's cute.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 2nd, 2006, 8:22 pm

The thing that bothers me, is his tap dancing never matches up with the sound you hear.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 3rd, 2006, 4:47 pm

That's probably just a problem with the ads. The sound in the actual movie is likely to be more "In Sync".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » November 20th, 2006, 9:15 am

I am putting my review of Happy Feet in spoiler tags, so there will be spoilers.
Overall i liked it, but it did have problems. The biggest problem for me was that the film didnt seem to know if it wanted to be a feel good musical or a educational film about penguins/pollution/penguin religion. By the end of the film i wasnt sure if it was trying to make me laugh or cry.

But even after that i was able to enjoy it. I really liked the music it felt kinda like i was watching Moulin Rouge but without crazy direction/editing and well without the prostitutes.

I also really liked that the film was able to go into the darker territories that most animated films dont go into, i just wish that they were able to make a better transition between the two.

And i was really surprised that Britany Murphy sang in the film, but what was even more suprising was that she has a REALLY good voice.

EDIT: Does anyone know how they did the humans at the end? Were they motion captured (like Gollum) or actually live-action?
7.5/10

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 20th, 2006, 5:06 pm

EDIT: Does anyone know how they did the humans at the end? Were they motion captured (like Gollum) or actually live-action?
I think it was live-action. I haven't seen it yet, but I've read that it was from a few different places. Sounds weird, if you ask me...Did it fit with the movie?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 20th, 2006, 5:46 pm

This movie was awful - and I don't say that lightly. The first 45 minutes are a total mess story-wise, not that there is any "story" to speak of.

The next 45 minutes makes the first half look Oscar worthy. The film is pure propaganda. And I say that as a big supporter of environmental charity Conservation International (highly recommended! http://www.conservation.org/ ). The story makes a huge and sudden swing from no story to extreme environmental talking points come to life. The reason I call it propaganda is because NONE of the films marketing or promotions go into this aspect. They know any mention of that would turn off their potential viewers so they purposely don't mention it until they have their captive audience. And the film's message isn't from the responsible environmental wing. This film comes from the loony fringe wing that makes the rest of them look bad. Yes we can buy talking and dancing penguins, but some of what they throw at us in this section just makes you want to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Ignoring that part though - Animation is great. Story is awful (and I'm only talking about the first part). Voice acting was way over the top. Elijah Wood, surprisingly, was the best of the lot.

Don't take the kids. They will be bored to tears. The showing I went to there was no laughing, just silence the whole film except for extremely antsy kids ready to go home.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 20th, 2006, 6:29 pm

This film comes from the loony fringe wing that makes the rest of them look bad. Yes we can buy talking and dancing penguins, but some of what they throw at us in this section just makes you want to laugh at the absurdity of it all.
I'm curious: what exactly did they say? I don't care about spoilers, I'm not going to see this movie anytime soon.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 20th, 2006, 7:11 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
This film comes from the loony fringe wing that makes the rest of them look bad. Yes we can buy talking and dancing penguins, but some of what they throw at us in this section just makes you want to laugh at the absurdity of it all.
I'm curious: what exactly did they say? I don't care about spoilers, I'm not going to see this movie anytime soon.
MAJOR spoilers:
About half way through the completely storyless film the main character, out of the blue, decides he has to figure out why there aren't as many fish as there used to be. After a LONG and dull journey across Antarctica he sees one of the huge commercial fishing ships lifting a net full of fish. So what does he do? HE TRIES TO FOLLOW IT BACK! Where does he end up? All the way to Europe or America it looked like - New York maybe? Antarctica to New York swimming! Sure! He ends up in a zoo where after 3 months, I kid you not, he goes crazy! And not funny crazy. Serious mental illness type crazy. Eventually a kid taps on the glass which, out of the blue again, makes him start dancing. He becomes famous (!) and they, for some unexplained reason, release him back to Antarctica with a tracking device on his back! Yes you read that right! There he tells them that the humans are coming and if they all dance with him it will convince them to stop overfishing in the area. AND IT WORKS! Remember the humans can not understand penguin language but they figure out the dancing is a plea to stop fishing in Antarctic waters.
Did you see any of that in the previews?! Didn't think so!

When you see it with the serious dramatic voiceover during these sections, it is more obvious that someone is spinning their wacky, environmental, we-are-all-one-with-the-animals beliefs in a way over the top fashion.