The Animated Views MIA: DVD Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

The Animated Views MIA: DVD Thread

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Animated Views wrote:We all love our DVD collections. To be able to instantly pick a slice of animation history and have it flashing up on the screen in a matter of minutes is one of the pure joys of the format. But…what about other animated movies from other creators and studios?

Now, we’re really talking mainstream or independent animated features, as well as some well regarded shorts; though there are hundreds - if not thousands - of routine Japanese mangas and el cheapo fairytale knock-offs that you might recall as being “great” as a kid, we’re typically looking for the high quality stuff…popular, obscure, and commercial titles that really should have seen the light of day on DVD by now.
We'll update the MIA-DVD list periodically, but we <I>KNOW</I> there are many more titles out there. Assist our trawl by submitting your Missing-In-Action titles here, and please be sure to provide any movie links or those to where the film is available in a significantly better edition in another country.

So, what are we missing? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

MIA

Post by stitchcastle » December 5th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Lilo and Stitch 2 Disc Special Edition

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13303

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilo-Stitch-Spe ... B000A7IHLC

Image-the french cover

It's already been released in region 2 but it seems to have been forgotten in the US.

The 2 disc special edition contains a plethora of deleted scenes including an alternate ending (which brings forth the posibility of creating a new version of the movie much like it was done on Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas) It even has a really in depth look at the making of the movie as well as a very lenghty documentary filmed by the filmmakers themselves.

it was originally going to be part of Disney's "Masterpiece Collection" alongside Alice in Wonderland and Pocahontas. While the collection has been discontinued, Pocahontas was re released under a 10th Anniversary banner.

a list of bonus features from an old Ultimatedisney.com article about it:

• Audio commentary • Full-length documentary, "The Making of Lilo & Stitch" with scene selections and notes • 2 Animator Conversations: "Andres Deja discusses Lilo" and "Alex Kupershmidt discusses Stitch" • Deleted scenes & Early Concepts • Chris Sanders' Photo gallery • 2 new music videos: "Your Ohana", "Suspicious Minds" by Gareth Gates • The Style Book of Chris Sanders • The Story of Stitch • A Conversation with Joe Grant and Dean DeBlois • Ric Sluiter Interviews Maurice Noble • Dean DeBlois pitches a New Sequence • Mulan: "Mulan's Decision" • Dumbo: "The Train Arrives"

In addition, the Italian Special Edition will include most of the previous DVD's bonus features:
• music videos: "Burning Love" with Wynonna, "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" performed by the A*Teens • Disneypedia: Hawaii • "A Stitch in Time" • "Animating the Hula" • "How-To-Hula Lesson" • Theatrical Teasers and Trailers • "Gantu's Challenge" Game

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/january.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: MIA

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2006, 6:23 pm

stitchcastle wrote:• Mulan: "Mulan's Decision" • Dumbo: "The Train Arrives"
On the <I>Lilo & Stitch</I> DVD?

Thanks for the entry, but not sure this makes the cut - it <I>is</I>widely available in various countries and editions already and isn't really a "lost classic". ;)

A summer 2007 release has been rumored for this Disney title.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: MIA

Post by stitchcastle » December 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Ben wrote:
A summer 2007 release has been rumored for this Disney title.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! :)
thanks!

and thanks for the rumour, It's geting me excited now ^_^

and yes, the Mulan and Dumbo features are sort of demos that offer insight into the animation process, they're found in the Lilo and Stitch DVD (probably because of Sanders or Deblois is doing the presentation).

I know these because a friend of mine ordered the dvd from the UK

(which he also bought a special region 2 player just for it)

For lost classics, does "the Thief and the Cobbler" count?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » December 5th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Jetsons: The Movie (1990)

A legal mess where Warner owns the rights to the charaters, but the movie was released by Universal. No dvd will probably see the light of day.

Were Back A Dinosaur Story (1993)

I don't know why, but it isnt on dvd either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MovieMusicals.net » December 6th, 2006, 2:13 am

The Flintstones Meet The Jetsons (1987)

Yogi's First Christmas (1980)

A Flintstone Christmas Carol (1994)

A Flintstone Christmas (1977)

The Jetsons' Christmas Carol (1985)

A Flintstone Family Christmas (1993)

The Flintstones Christmas In Bedrock (1996)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2006, 7:22 am

Thanks...I'll get to an update shortly! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » December 6th, 2006, 6:42 pm

I don't know if this counts, but I don't want to renew my DMC membership just to get it.

DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp

Only way you can get this dvd is threw the Disney Movie Club, no public release date has been announced.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Doesn't quite count - it <I>is</I> out in region1 and available: I picked mine up on eBay! $15. It's a good disc. No extras but the anamorphic widescreen transfer is spotless and very film like. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 6th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine (1965)--- first Rankin-Bass feature. I'd love to see this.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 7th, 2006, 3:11 am

KingPopper wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I don't want to renew my DMC membership just to get it.

DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp

Only way you can get this dvd is threw the Disney Movie Club, no public release date has been announced.

You have to join a club to get Duck Tales: The Movie?

Somebody at Disney is missing an opportunity to sell way more copies of this through Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and all the other huge buyers of Disney DVDs!

An exclusive club release doesn't make sense for even the lesser animated Disney features... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 7th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Animaniacs: Wakko's Wish -- it was released direct-to-VHS-video in 1999; right at the time Laserdisc was being phased out, and DVD was just starting to take-off .. and for some mysterious reason, it was never released in either disc format. :? WW was a fitting "last hurrah" for the show, and is well-worth seeking out, even on VHS. Hopefully, with the TV series DVD's now being released, Warner Bros. will get around to this one soon.

Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation -- this one did get a Laserdisc release (back in 1992!), but has yet to see the light of DVD .. though, for that matter, neither has the TV series! :( There's a lot of wonderful funny business in all 4 of the major plot threads, along with some of the cleanest & tightest animation TMS ever produced for these characters. Another 'must-see', if you can find it .. :)

Animalympics -- technically a TV special, though it is feature-length. This has seen several releases on VHS; I'm not sure whether it was ever on Laserdisc (never found it, if it does exist). Animation- and story-wise, it's a bit of a 'time-capsule' curiosity now, but there should be enough of a 'cult' audience for this special to merit a DVD release, IMO ..

Pogo for President (aka: I Go Pogo) -- a nifty stop-motion adaptation of Walt Kelly's classic characters, with much of the dialogue and business coming straight out of the strip (and, like the strip, often sidelining the 'plot' for non-sequitur vaudeville shtick). This was released direct-to-video by Disney back in the dawn of VHS -- 1980! and AFAIK, hasn't been re-released since .. :cry:

The Pogo Special Birthday Special -- Chuck Jones' "take" on Walt Kelly's world, from roughly a decade earlier. Decidedly less successful in capturing the 'style' of the strip, though it does have its poignant moments. Another 'early days of VHS' release, which has yet to re-surface ..

Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!) -- The third and fourth Peanuts gang features. Hopefully, these are coming in the near-future (since Paramount did release the first two Peanuts features on DVD earlier this year). Race for Your Life, CB is actually somewhat 'epic' in scope, and has the most complex plot of any of the features. Bon Voyage, CB is arguably the 'weakest' feature story-wise, but still has some great bits. As an aside, many of the Peanuts TV specials are also MIA .. (though the major 'perennial' ones are all out there) ..

==================================

Cats Don't Dance -- yes, this one is on DVD .. but it's only available in pan & scan 'full frame' -- a travesty, since the film was shot in 1.85:1 widescreen (and used every inch of that space). Happily, the Laserdisc release of CDD is 'letterboxed'. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2006, 2:53 am

Check out our LaserDisc Archives articles in the Toon Review section for a look at several titles that didn't make it to DVD in their original ratios - or at all!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » December 8th, 2006, 8:30 am

Does anyone know why Were Back: A Dinosaur Story hasnt been released on dvd?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 10th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Rover Dangerfield has never been released on dvd. I think that's a shame since the film is such an underrated gem.

The Elmchanted Forest was released briefly but has gone out of print. This one needs to be rereleased.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83