The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2006, 6:56 am

Even though some sequels have been my favorite films of all time (The Godfather part II, Empire Strikes Back are just 2 examples) I have to agree with Ben. The underlying motivation for a sequel is to extend the franchise, maybe tell a good story too, but really it's mostly about money. Francis Ford Coppola made TG part 2 because TG 1 was a HUGE blockbuster, even though he did wind up making an even better film, IMO.

Well, as for part III....I won't get into that. :P Although I do like parts of it. And the end still gets to me.

Pixar made TS 2 because yes, they had a great idea and knew that it would be much better as a theatical than a DTV....but they had to have known that it would make them tons of cash.

Ditto DW and Shrek 2. And no, I still don't buy that argument that they were originally planning to make 4 films....uh huh, right. :roll:

About All Dogs, I still love that film. :) Yeah the story sputters a lot here and there and by the end it's pretty much shot, but I just find some parts to be very heartwarming....I don't know. I just have a soft spot for that film.

I love Ann-Marie, she's so cute, and watching her animation as a kid and the colors of that film.....this may sound weird but ADGTH was one of the films that got me even more into animation, and got me to like it past the age of 13. So was an American Tale and Land Before Time. :P Don Bluth in general....I just like the dark stuff in his films.
He should have stuck to that.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2006, 11:00 am

But even Toy Story 2 as a DTV was designed, like Return Of Jafar, simply to turn a quick buck. Luckily they stepped in, made it a better movie, and turned many, many more bucks! ;)

But no-one's going to make a sequel if the first one sank, or else we'd have gotten three Rocketeers (the original plan), more Chronicles Of Riddick, etc...

Even Godfather II was because Paramount said it must be so...Coppola wasn't aware they were doing another one until the cash tills started to ring. Likewise with Star Wars - why do you think the first film is so self-contained? Because if it had lost money like everyone was expecting, at least we'd still have had a pretty good movie (and "Epsiode IV" would never have seen the light of day).

Dan still hasn't named a movie sequel that wasn't made for money, so my point stands... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 4th, 2006, 3:29 pm

That's because I was joking Ben ;)

I punked you :lol:

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » December 4th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Even movies that aren't sequels are made for money.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 4th, 2006, 4:41 pm

But no-one's going to make a sequel if the first one sank

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2006, 4:50 pm

That's called damage control. Spending a little extra money to try and recoup what's already been spent. And it worked!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2006, 9:56 am

Besides, that "Movie" (which was originally the pilot to a ditched TV series) was in production before the first one came out.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 11th, 2006, 3:12 am

Ben wrote:I am confused.

I understood TFP to be taking its Russian roots literally. Sounds like someone has either gotten themselves mixed up with My Peoples, or that someone at Disney just won't let this slant die off!

And, by the way, "Randy Newman's musical DEBUT"???

Well, I guess Ragtime (1981), Three Amigos! (1986) and Disney's own James And The Giant Peach (1996) as well as the musical Faust and all the songs he wrote for Pixar and his own albums, of course, don't count??

He is so much more than JUST a film score composer! :)
Was Three Amigos a true musical? Ragtime 1981 by no mans was--no songs--the Braodway Ragtime (one of my fave musicals ever) had songs by lynn Ahrens and S Flahherty (who did Anastasia for Bluth).

Newman has had the musical Faust though which never made it to Broadway or London...

I dunno why Menken couldn't do jazz tho--he did great 60s pastiches for Little SHop of Horros, gospel for Hercules and I saw a local production of one of his rare 1980s musicals A Dream on Royal Street (an updating of Midsummer's Night Dream to Jazzy new Orleans) which had a great score

E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 11th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Maybe he was too busy? He does have a lot on his plate, after all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Yeah, but then why did he agree to do it in the first place? I don't think it was his decision.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Yes, yes. Everything is JL's fault. JL is the devil. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 5:25 pm

:? He's not the devil, he's just the guy running WDFA. And as such his decisions are going to be scrutinized and commented on. It's a very public position and people are going to react to what he does, whether they approve of it or not.

8)
He does have a lot on his plate, after all.
Ummm......what are his other projects again? I'm probably losing my memory or something....isn't his only other project Enchanted? And even that's mostly live action! :roll:

Or is he doing Rupunzal too? I keep forgetting.... :?

BTW some people might point out that I get all upset if JK is criticized but not JL....but the truth is I realize that theyr'e both in a position of power and both are going to make decisions that are sometimes unpopular.

So I might try to defend JK if he gets criticized, but I acknowledge that eveyone has a right to their opinion, if they want to attack Katzenberg it's their right.

Plus I realize things are kinda unclear now and it might take some months, or even a year or two, before we start seeing the fruits of JL's labor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 12th, 2006, 2:14 am

Little Mermaid for Broadway is workshopping now with many new songs, I believe he's doing the Sister Act stage musical (save us all now), too

E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 12th, 2006, 5:23 am

Sister Act? Oh, so we're doing Touchstone films now? I'll bet anything Three Men and a Baby is next...then possibly Dick Tracy, and then Pretty Woman! :)

(The more I think about it, the more likely it seems. :( Don't scoff...they made Big into a musical, didn't they? :roll: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » December 12th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Touchstone musicals...how about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? They could get Charles Fleischer back in that rabbit suit that he wore on the film's set. ;)
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]