Il était une fois, Walt Disney...the Paris art expo

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Il était une fois, Walt Disney...the Paris art expo

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2007, 3:00 pm

Animated Views brings you an exclusive tour of <I>Il était une fois, Walt Disney (Once Upon A Time…Walt Disney)</I>, the current exhibition running at the prestigious Grand Palais in Paris! I recommend it extremely highly for animation buffs and certainly propose a purchase of the exhibition catalog, which lists and visually represents every item in the collection…it’s a true “must-have”!

The show looks at the many and varied sources of European inspiration, from books to cinema, that the Disney artists of the Golden Age of animation drew upon to come up with such classic works of their own art as <I>Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio</I> and the many sequences in <I>Fantasia</I> and later films such as <I>Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan</I> and <I>Sleeping Beauty</I>.

In the article, you’ll see rare examples of both Disney and European art, and meet Bruno Girveau, the Frenchman who has worked for years to pull the event together as a personal goal, and with whom I had a very in-depth discussion on the exhibition and the many wonders on show.

With over 60 exclusive images, I have to say that I’m very proud of what I’ve managed to achieve here, especially during this typically frantic time of year (the main reason this has been delayed since our site launch in early December). Once you see it, I hope you’ll understand why it took so long!

Anyway…it's up now…and I very much hope you enjoy it. Man, my heart and soul are <I>tired!</I>
Any of our European readers manage to get to this? You have a couple of weeks left before the show transfers to Canada for a Spring run, where it is equally recommended that our American friends hop on a plane...it's <I>that</I> good! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » January 2nd, 2007, 3:34 pm

Oh...

My...

Gosh...!

:shock:

Ben I just can't find words to express my amazement of this excellent coverage you provided at AV. Unfortunatelly it will be impossible for me to visit Paris within the next couple of month, but with an exclusive tour like this one I'll take it much easier...

Once again - my sincere gratitudes for giving us this awesome review!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2007, 3:43 pm

Thanks Uli!

I did put my all into this one and it will remain a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I will never forget. There was also so much else going on in my life at that moment too, which made it all the more special.

Sincerely happy that you are enjoying the coverage, and if you can't make it to the show, that exhibition catalogue is seriously indispensible. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 2nd, 2007, 8:37 pm

Man, I would have loved to go to that! Did you get to see Destinato?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2007, 5:47 am

Destino?

Hmmm...I would say the ten or so lengthy paragraphs on that section of the exhibition answered that, Meg!

But, in short...yes! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 3rd, 2007, 5:54 am

man.... I just got back from Paris..... :(

anyway, this site keeps getting better and better with articles like this. Much more entertaining to read than Jim Hill's latest anti-Pixar rant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 3rd, 2007, 2:54 pm

Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to see this. If only they translated it and brought it to the UK, or if someone in the UK did a similar exhibition (perhaps primarily focussing on Disney and the influence of British/Irish things on the films?).
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2007, 5:49 pm

You could always hop on the train and make a long day trip of it, Wonder! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 4th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Ben wrote:You could always hop on the train and make a long day trip of it, Wonder! ;)
Yes, but...I don't really live near London and I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford Eurostar tickets. :s
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Ahh...

I figure you could probably do it for £100-200 depending on where you are in England. Once you're in London, my train tickets were (I think from memory) £55 return. Factor in £10 for lunch and £6 entry ticket, that's not too much money to spend on a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

Of course, as Uli said above, my coverage perhaps makes it easier to enjoy the exibit without leaving the country, but I really would recommend the catalogue if you can't go, which displays hundreds of more images than what I was able to include in my piece.

:)