The UK's 100 GREATEST CARTOONS

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

The UK's 100 GREATEST CARTOONS

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2005, 7:05 pm

Well, the votes are in and the list has just been announced in the UK for the 100 Greatest cartoons, as voted by the British public.

Take a look at the countdown here:
http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003141.html

Perhaps as suspected, recent memories outweigh the true classics - but what do you make of the billing? Who did you miss in the countdown and who would you have liked to have seen grab a higher spot?
Last edited by Ben on February 28th, 2005, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 28th, 2005, 12:02 am

That list is BS! It listed characters, movies, and tv shows! WTF!

It has no merit whatsoever.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tomwe » February 28th, 2005, 4:22 am

the show kept me spitting bile at stupid UK voters for a good 4 hours.

course, since i didn't vote i can hardly comment :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Simba Kimball » February 28th, 2005, 7:53 am

What really took me by surprise was in the last ten. I'm not a huge fan of Shrek, Toy Story, Family Guy or South Park, but I knew they were popular and recent. But who'd have known Tom and Jerry was more popular, second only to the Simpsons? Nothing against Tom and Jerry, I think they're quite good, but I could not understand that at all.

Any poll where Pokemon, He-man and Dungeons and Dragons score higher than Snow White, The Snowman, Triplettes de Belleville, Dumbo and Animal Farm is pretty much a farce. I was glad to see Nightmare before Christmas and The Iron Giant score highly though.

By and large, the show was terrible. The comedians were on the whole shoddy and second rate. Some seemed unfamiliar with the material they were talking about. They were frequently knocking the cartoons and attempting to imply innuendo. It's a tired format. A pet peeve of mine was if a cartoon seemed a little shoddy, the comedians seemed to assume that it was incredibly cheap as if it could be produced over a weekend for a fiver with little effort and presumably while high.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2005, 1:58 pm

Yep, a bad show, with no real sense of history or respect. As I say, "recent memories outweigh the true classics" as with most polls, and this was no exception.

Also agree about the innuendo - how many sexual gags could they stuff in there, or try to at least?

Glad to see Maltin stick up for what was right, and Don Hahn expressing the fact that, without Snow White (at 60!), they wouldn't even be there discussing the 100 Greatest Cartoons.

I stopped taping it around number 6 and used the tape to cover the Oscars right afterwards!

Shame, shame, shame. Badly researched too! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 28th, 2005, 3:35 pm

ANY "greatest" list that could include Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels on it cannot be even remotely taken seriously. :roll:

Captain Caveman?? God save the UK :lol:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2005, 9:43 pm

All right!!! Thundercats!!!! :) (aka Star Wars rip-off)

Hail Thundera. 8) "Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight."

:D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!