Iron Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Iron Man

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2006, 4:34 am

If this is old news then...sorry. :wink: :oops: But the article was dated yesterday, so I thought I might as well post it. :wink:

http://www.x-men.com/news/moviestories.666

Plus I think at one time Tom Cruise was going to play him, wasn't he? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 1st, 2006, 10:50 pm

The news did just break in the past few days. Yes, Cruise was once rumored, but I like Downey for the movie much better. Kinda out of left field, but also kinda genius to consider him, I think. He's a great performer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 27th, 2006, 2:50 am

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, here's the film's site in a very early stage: it has a really cool logo! :) (thanks to AICN)

http://www.ironmanmovie.com/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Iron Man on DVD.

Post by Rothlor » January 25th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Any Iron Man, or Comic Book Movie fans grab this yet? I am looking for a Thumbs up or down, I will most likely buy it this weekend, but, would like to hear anything.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 25th, 2007, 11:33 pm

I just picked it up tonight. I'll have a review done over the weekend--- watch for it at Animated Views. Early reports seem to be that it's just so-so; but then I quite liked the first Avengers DTV, while some others panned it, so I'm hoping I'll dig Iron Man.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 26th, 2007, 12:20 am

If you're seriously considering a purchase of the Invincible Iron Man DVD, Rothlor, you might want to buy it this week, while these deals are still active.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 27th, 2007, 2:02 pm

I probably will NEVER get any of the new Marvel direct-to-video movies.

Why?

Cynicism.

I just don't think it's in the hearts of the people footing the bills to get these films made to do the properties justice.

You all have to understand something --

It's nothing short of a MINOR MIRACLE that any of the DC properties (Batman, Superman, Justice League) were any good for the past 15 years!

See, those shows WEREN'T greenlit to showcase the awesome talents of the artists, writers, and actors involved in those shows but to capitalize (IE, make money off of) very well known IP's (intellectual properties). The IP's in these cases were characters that were at least 50 years old and well-known around the world due to old comics, existing TV series, and live-action movies in the cases of both Batman and Superman.

Neither Batman: The Animated Series or Superman: The Animated Series would have been produced if not for existing movie series (the 1990s Batman live-action movies) or "soon-to-be produced) movies (Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.).

That's just not how Hollywood people think. Forget all the B.S. about making films "for the fans" or to "do it right this time"! It's always been about making money off of somebody else's ideas.

In the cases of the DC properties, we were all fortunate that ACTUAL FANS of those characters worked on the shows and were given enough freedom (and money) to produce good shows. People are going to remember these shows fondly and hopefully they willl STILL hold up 60 years from now just as the Fleischer Superman cartoons have.

As for the Marvel videos --

I just don't see it happening. First off, the Marvel regime is very brazen in its greediness and willingness to whore out every last character to make a quick buck. And it shows in the overall sloppiness of of at least 85% of the live-action stuff that''s been produced with Marvel properties.

The same atitude is popping up in the animated videos. The character designs are sloppy and too slavishly derivative of the comics, and the animation is mediocre even by most original video standards. It just screams "cheap" and "lackluster."

With the DC shows (excepting probably both Teen Titans and Legion of Super-Heroes), a new fusion art style was attempted and characterizations and storylines were true to the spirit of the original comics without being overly derivative. There's loving pouring from the people that worked on these shows. That's why the names Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, Eric Radomski, Glen Murakami, Michael Reaves, Mark Hamill, Kevin Conroy, and Darwyn Cooke are so well-known among the hardcore fans.

Name one person who worked on any of the Marvel animated films of the past year. I don't think anybody can really come up with one other than people who screamed about working on the show. The one fellow I'm aware of who worked on one of these pooh-fests actually put down Bruce Timm in an animation forum! Let's say I was not too impressed by what I've seen of the video film that he worked on thus far...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 27th, 2007, 4:41 pm

GeorgeC, I disagree. I think Marvel has been doing an excellent job with their movies (animated and non). I have been a fan of these characters for years and I figure as long as they get the characters right and put them in a halfway decent story, I'm happy. Even the worst of the films (Elektra, Blade 2) are still enjoyable enough for me to want the dvds in my collection. All that said, I thought the new Iron Man film was pretty good. Not quite what I was expecting, but good. Rothlor, if you're interested in seeing it, why not give it a rental first and then decide if you'd like to buy it?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 27th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Boy, people produce these films to make money? Wow, I'm shocked. :)

But seriously...

George can let his cynicism keep him from enjoying these things (or even TRYING to watch them--- hey, his choice), but I always try to look for the best in these projects, which were all made by creative people doing their best to create a good product, given the money, talent, time, and corporate dictates at the time. It's the same with ANY commercial movie or TV show. Not to mention comics! Art vs. commerce. Nothing new about that.

Some turn out well, some don't. I really liked Ultimate Avengers The Movie, but didn't like Ultimate Avengers 2 all that much. I watched Iron Man, and found it to lie in-between the two Avengers films. A number of Marvel's live-action efforts have been underwhelming, though I've really enjoyed a few of them. But then, that could apply to any group of films (or comics).

My comic store owner still has never seen the Spidey films, because he just wants to enjoy the comics and doesn't like the look of the movies, so I know that George is not alone in some of his feelings.

But I'm not sure what exactly people expect out of these things. "Direct-to-video superhero movies." C'mon, if I get 70 minutes of popcorn-gobbling enjoyment, that seems fair to me. It's not like the original Iron Man or Avengers stories were literary classics (Avengers was unreadable for a time as of #8 ). And these Lionsgate productions are oh-so-much better than the Avengers or Iron Man TV shows!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 18th, 2007, 1:31 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 4th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Okay, I wasn't sold on the idea of RDJ for Tony Stark when it was announced and now that I've seen the trailer, I'm still not sold. However, it does look like a cool movie and I hope he can pull it off.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 5th, 2007, 10:56 am

The teaser poster is AWESOME:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 6th, 2007, 2:43 am

That IS awesome! Wow. :o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 11th, 2007, 6:53 pm

I like it :D,i liked also how they made his suit :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

iron man.

Post by spaz » May 14th, 2008, 1:16 am

great film. favreau , is a great new responsible effects director.