Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 5th, 2004, 5:02 pm

I totally agree with Ben. Everyone kneels at the least little thing Pixar does, and criticizes Disney and DreamWorks left and right. I will admit that Pixar's previous films have been excellent. However, Pixar could announce that they are making Paint Drying: The Movie!, starring Bob Saget and Vanilla Ice, and people would be like, "Oh my goodness, this is going to be the greatest film of all time!"

Folks, Pixar is good, but not invincible.

The Cars teaser trailer reveals that Pixar is very likely to overdo the "buddies togther forever" plot, just like Disney has overdone the "individual longs for a better life" plot. Plus, the design of the cars is just a lawsuit waiting to happen from that gas station (which one was it who had the stop-motion cars with eyes?).

Anyway, I also agree with James that John Lasseter has earned the benefit of the doubt. However, so far, I am unimpressed. Maybe if Pixar's prevous work was Care Bears: Journey To Joke-A-Lot, I wouldn't be so harsh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

funny

Post by ShyViolet » November 5th, 2004, 5:13 pm

"I totally agree with Ben. Everyone kneels at the least little thing Pixar does, and criticizes Disney and DreamWorks left and right. I will admit that Pixar's previous films have been excellent. However, Pixar could announce that they are making Paint Drying: The Movie!, starring Bob Saget and Vanilla Ice, and people would be like, "Oh my goodness, this is going to be the greatest film of all time!"

Ha ha. That's really cute. :lol:

Also I like your signature.
:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 5th, 2004, 6:00 pm

I feel so alone, looking forward to this movie =(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MusicFan » November 5th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Macaluso wrote:I feel so alone, looking forward to this movie =(
I was quite impressed by this. It's quite original, or at least I think so. *thinks of other films taking place during the 50s about talking cars* Are there any?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 5th, 2004, 7:10 pm

After seeing the Cars trailer on the big screen I think it is safe to say there are no humans in it - it seems to be a Car-World.

In the race scene the pitcrew is all cars, and in the stands the spectators are all cars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 5th, 2004, 10:51 pm

Ha ha. That's really cute.

Thanks! I appreciate that. Actually- and I promise I am not just saying this to be polite- I was admiring your signature earlier today. And I think it's especially cool how we both have Jeffrey Katzenberg avatars (just kidding!). Seriously, though, thanks.

About the world of Cars, I just don't know how Cars will be able to pull it off. I am willing to suspend logic and use imagination as to how the cars pick things up, use their bulky doors as hands, and have baby cars. Still, you just know that critics will be asking things such as these.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 5th, 2004, 10:54 pm

mr. squarepants wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate that. Actually- and I promise I am not just saying this to be polite- I was admiring your signature earlier today. And I think it's especially cool how we both have Jeffrey Katzenberg avatars (just kidding!). Seriously, though, thanks.

About the world of Cars, I just don't know how Cars will be able to pull it off. I am willing to suspend logic and use imagination as to how the cars pick things up, use their bulky doors as hands, and have baby cars. Still, you just know that critics will be asking things such as these.
Critics are stupid.

Does "It's a cartoon" not hold up anymore?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2004, 3:33 pm

mr. squarepants wrote:

You're welcome! Ha ha about Chicken Little. He does kinda look like JK but as I said in previous post, I think Chicken Little looks a lot like Goslin's best friend Honker from Darkwing Duck.

Thanks for your kind words about my signature. I tried to pick something "different."

Well, about Pixar: If they can make lamps and knick knacks seem alive, they can probably do the same with cars. But it's kind of a strange choice.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2004, 3:47 pm

I'm just gonna stick with being disappointed and having the feeling that it's going to be the usual Pixar buddy fest.

And since when should we start giving people the benefit of the doubt, when, frankly, there shouldn't BE any doubt!

Then there's this "well, let's see how it turns out" lark. Have you guys not learned anything about teasers actually being more indicative of what a final project will turn out like?

Sorry, but Monsters was little more than the Mike'n'Sully show, while Nemo was just like the "asking for directions" spot. I loved both those movies, but their teasers were very much along the lines that those films turned out like.

The Incredibles had an awesome teaser that got us all excited. EVERYONE loved that first look at Mr Incredible.

It's just not happening with Cars, guys... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

teasers

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2004, 4:35 pm

I really liked hearing that "Bug's Life" music tho. I really loved that film. It's the last one that Lassetter directed....Now he's got another shot.
Liked hearing Owen Wilson's voice: he was the original Kuzco I think!

Still i agree with Ben about teasers....they tell you a lot and they basically reveal where the film is going. There's a year before this comes out but logistically I don't think they could make that many changes in a year's time. Not in a CGI feature anyway...that's my opinion. I think it would be easier to alter this if it were 2d, like they did with Aladdin. Less expensive. (I could be wrong tho)

Even though Finding Nemo's teaser was a little different when we finally saw it IN the movie (Dory wasn't as ditsy as in the clip) it was basically the same. It was all about the give-and-take between Marlin, Dory and the Ocean.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

train

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2004, 5:13 pm

Also not to be mean or pick on this movie even more, but the picture and especially the teaser made me think of that British show with the talking train or caboose or whatever it is. I forget the name. I know that the technology is tons better than that, but the look seems kind of similar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: train

Post by Jens » November 6th, 2004, 7:49 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Also not to be mean or pick on this movie even more, but the picture and especially the teaser made me think of that British show with the talking train or caboose or whatever it is. I forget the name. I know that the technology is tons better than that, but the look seems kind of similar.
Bob the Builder? Same here! Big eyes, big mouth (as in Bob the Builder). Pixar even took it one step further by just placing eyes as the windshield...

Anyway, it's a funny trailer, but that's about all I have to say :P I can't wait to see a REAL trailer because in fact the "The Incredibles" teaser didn't get me too excited too, it was the trailers and TV spots that did it... I mean, the teaser for the Incredibles was funny and all, but I really didn't know what to think when I saw it. Same here with Cars...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 6th, 2004, 7:54 pm

MusicFan wrote:
Macaluso wrote:I feel so alone, looking forward to this movie =(
I was quite impressed by this. It's quite original, or at least I think so. *thinks of other films taking place during the 50s about talking cars* Are there any?

I guess you didn't ever see the Tex Avery short made in the late 1940s or early 1950s where a taxi cabby and his sedan wife had a kid who had his body and motor made over into a little hot rod?

"Cars" is far from the first film of any kind that had anthromorphic automobiles.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 6th, 2004, 8:02 pm

Ben wrote:I'm just gonna stick with being disappointed and having the feeling that it's going to be the usual Pixar buddy fest.

And since when should we start giving people the benefit of the doubt, when, frankly, there shouldn't BE any doubt!

Then there's this "well, let's see how it turns out" lark. Have you guys not learned anything about teasers actually being more indicative of what a final project will turn out like?

Sorry, but Monsters was little more than the Mike'n'Sully show, while Nemo was just like the "asking for directions" spot. I loved both those movies, but their teasers were very much along the lines that those films turned out like.

The Incredibles had an awesome teaser that got us all excited. EVERYONE loved that first look at Mr Incredible.

It's just not happening with Cars, guys... :(

I agree with you 100%, Ben.

People just don't want to see your points because "everybody's in love with Pixar" at the moment. Pixar lovers consider every criticism of the company as sacrilege and label everybody who points out their movies' weaknesses as bitter, negative, and out-of-touch. It's amazing that we can criticize every other animation/entertainment company for missteps but Pixar is above reproach and considered too holy for criticism.

And I'm by no means a Pixar-hater, but I don't think the company is above reproach for repeating themselves constantly from film-to-film and putting in annoying self-references like every other animation studio does nowadays!

My biggest complaint about Pixar films is that they usually ARE a road picture/buddy film. With only 2 exceptions, they have followed this FORMULA for every film they've made since Toy Story 1.

Pixar is a family entertainment company, no doubt... However, like every other company after they get so big, they get TOO cautious and TOO conservative with their storylines and begin to repeat themselves.

When the lovefest is over and the public realizes what's been going on since 1995, Pixar's going to be in trouble. Just like what happened with Disney after their wave of success in the early to mid-1990s.

People will eventually get sick of the same kind of movie/story rehashed over and over again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Benny

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2004, 8:05 pm

Also don't forget Benny the cab in Roger Rabbit! :)

Except his eyes were the headlights (otherwise how could Eddie ride him??) Now THAT was some cool special effects.