Brad Bird and Ray Gunn

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Brad Bird and Ray Gunn

Post by SPACEHERO55 » January 31st, 2007, 9:25 am

You know, just when Im starting to forget why Brad Bird is my all time favorite animation director I find out about a new project of his and Im not talking about Ratatouille.

Noe don't get me wrong Im am excited about Pixar and Brad Bird's next Animated film, I mean anything by Brad Bird to me is genious. Since Iron Giant I have been a huge fan of his.

Im talking about a little idea called Ray Gunn. It is a Film Noir/Action style story about a hard boiled detective and is set in the future. It sounds sooo cool and right up Brad's alley. Im a firm bealiver that animation is not a genre, but an artform. Last year we were reminded of that by a great film called Monster House which was an animated horror film and a great one.

Bird says

"Well, it's two things that are hard to sell in Hollywood. Part of it is sort of film noir, even though to me it's only that in the surface details. Really, it's more of an action movie, and it had a substantial amount of comedy in it. I see it as being very mainstream, but Hollywood saw it as being almost experimental, like, "Whoa, what the heck is this?" In animation, you're always fighting against, "Well, that might upset a 5-year-old." My feeling is, "Well, then, the 5-year-old shouldn't go. Come on, can't we make some other things?" Ray Gunn was not it was PG, you know? Maybe PG-13."

Besides an Incredible's sequel this is the most exciting animation project to me. I hope Pixar let's him do it and let's him do it the way he wants and perhaps have it be PG-13. Pixar already pushed the envolope with The Incredibles it being their first PG film with a longer running time too. Now it's time for them to go an extra mile.

Remember folks animation does not have to be for little kids anymore.
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 31st, 2007, 1:31 pm

Cars also had a very long running time.

I still want Brad Bird to do the Incredibles sequel as soon as he can.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lordcookie » January 31st, 2007, 2:03 pm

I'd rather see him do Ray Gunn or something different. I love The Incredibles and I'm curious to see what a sequel would be like but I don't think its crying out for one as the original was rounded off nicely.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » January 31st, 2007, 5:16 pm

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2007, 6:42 pm

Has anyone noticed that the witch from Enchanted looks A LOT like the Wicked Queen/Witch in Snow White? (1937) :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 31st, 2007, 6:59 pm

Yes.

I hinted at that, in the Enchanted thread. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2007, 11:44 pm

Oopsie! :oops:

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 1st, 2007, 12:32 am

Brad Bird has talked about Ray Gunn for a long time; I remember first hearing about the project back when he was promoting The Iron Giant.

Unfortunately, I don't 'see' Ray Gunn being made as a Pixar film. Much as many people wish to believe otherwise, Pixar has made its reputation making 'certain' kinds of films .. family-friendly films, and I can't see John Lasseter allowing an overtly 'R' or 'PG-13' rated film (as Brad Bird has continuously stated Ray Gunn must be), to bear the 'Pixar' brand name.

I do agree that animation is not just for little kids, and I also agree that both The Iron Giant and The Incredibles are amazing films for kids and adults, with each pushing the limits of 'PG' about as far as is possible .. but IMO, unless Bird can make Ray Gunn as a straight-up 'PG' film, it won't be made by Pixar.

--------------

I think Lasseter should take a page from Disney's "Touchstone" playbook of the mid-1980's: set up a separate, smaller animation studio (with a different-sounding name) .. dedicated to creating good-quality, commercially-successful animated films which will be aimed squarely at adults ('PG-13' to 'R'). :idea: Keep the fact that Disney owns the studio 'quiet', if possible.

That gives the new studio division freedom to take 'risks' (while still having access to Disney $$$), and takes the 'burden' off the Disney/Pixar studios' respective 'brand' names.

And, if the films are well-received .. builds a new 'brand'. And, if they enjoy enough commercial/critical success, establishes an 'adult' animated genre in the West, for other studios to imitate.
Last edited by droosan on February 1st, 2007, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 1st, 2007, 12:44 am

Yeah, I don't see Pixar making it either. :?
ShyViolet wrote:Oopsie! :oops:

:wink:
No problem! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2007, 8:54 am

They could always just put it out under Touchstone or Miramax, like the Gnomeo And Juliet feature is doing.

Touchstone Pictures presents a Pixar film...? That would certainly indicate a different mindset and even drum up a few column inches noting the "change".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SPACEHERO55 » February 1st, 2007, 2:32 pm

Droosan and Ben Thoes are great ideas and I think that it should be done. I think that most american movie studios are too afraid to push the limits of what animation can do. They terrified of a PG-13 or R rated animated film. Even a studio like The Weinstien Company is scared as TMNT was sopposed to be slightly more PG-13 than PG, but preassure was put on them to make it more kid freindly.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?