The Emperors New Groove

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

The Emperors New Groove

Post by Dacey » March 5th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Say, I've heard that this movie may end up getting a theatrical release. Does anyone else know anything?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 5th, 2005, 1:52 pm

I'd be mildly surprised if it did. Did you hear it from a reliable source?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2005, 3:49 pm

ALL of Disney's upcoming sequels have the hint of a theatrical release somewhere down the production line.

If there were any that would get this, it would be one of the more "anticipated" titles, such as Tarzan II, Lilo And Stitch 2 or Bambi And The Great Prince Of The Forest.

There isn't a President's Day film lined up for next year yet (as we had Pooh's Heffalump this year), so something could get shunted into that slot, but it won't be Kronk's movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 5th, 2005, 4:06 pm

I hope L&S2 and/or Bambi 2 gets it. I don't mind if Kronk gets it as long as it's not at the expense of the other two.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 5th, 2005, 10:24 pm

I think it may be Bambi 2, if it's as good as the "Legend Continues..." segment on the Bambi DVD makes it sound.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » March 6th, 2005, 11:18 am

Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest is confirmed to have a theatrical release in all Europe. I would be suprised if only Europe will get this theatrical release and the US a DTV release... Altough the trailer for Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest in the US says "Coming to DVD & Video Spring 2006". Maybe the US will get a short theatrical run? I have no idea...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2005, 1:27 pm

It would be nice if it did get a theatrical release. But, then again, we don't even know anything about the plot.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 11:56 pm

All of these cheapquels were stated as having a DVD release in all the ads I've seen.

Bambi 2 looks like it COULD be good but we all know how misleading trailers usually are when it comes to Disney movies....especially CHEAPQUELS!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 8th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Special_Ed wrote:All of these cheapquels were stated as having a DVD release in all the ads I've seen.

Bambi 2 looks like it COULD be good but we all know how misleading trailers usually are when it comes to Disney movies....especially CHEAPQUELS!
Why can't you give Disney a chance. First of all, calling them cheapquels is insulting to the artists who worked hard, and DisneyDVD's have been really great recently (TLK 1.5, Stitch, Mulan 2, Three Musketeers, etc.). Second, since when has Disney trailers been misleading?

-Michael
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 4:47 pm

The cheapquels have replaced the hand drawn division in the US. They are garbage. They don't compare to the theatrical films -- even they crappy ones. I've seen most of them and have been nothing but disappointed. Some could have been good but fall short every time. Why set yourself up for disappointment. If the artists feel insulted then maybe she shouldn't participate in this trash.

Using an adapted anti- Bush-ism:

I support the artists, I don't support the cheapquels.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 8th, 2005, 6:29 pm

Special_Ed wrote:The cheapquels have replaced the hand drawn division in the US. They are garbage. They don't compare to the theatrical films -- even they crappy ones. I've seen most of them and have been nothing but disappointed. Some could have been good but fall short every time. Why set yourself up for disappointment. If the artists feel insulted then maybe she shouldn't participate in this trash.
I bet that if I show you a screenshot from TLK & TLK1.5 (providing they contain only characters found in both), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Both Lilo & Stitch sequels contain excellent stories and the animation is identical to the first. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 sequels that have been bad, Cinderella II and Hunchback II. Have you even seen TLK 1.5, Stitch, R2N, or 3 Musketeers (made also by DisneyToon Studios)? Animation is top rate. Although I can't vouch for the plot (as I did not see it yet), animation in the Bambi sequel looks to also be top notch. What sequels (besides that of Cinderella & Hunchback) have been bad? Also, I think most people who say this are comparing it to the original instead of judging it on its own saying things like "it ruins the original." It doesn't, judge it on its own.

-Michael
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 8th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Here's my example. Can you tell which one is the sequel? (This isn't the best example, but it is hard to find movie pics on the internet)

(Click the second pic for a larger version)
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 8th, 2005, 7:23 pm

The cheapquels have replaced the hand drawn division in the US.
No they haven't. They are a completely separate thing. The "cheapquels" started when Feature Animation was still going gangbusters. They were never begun to replace Feature Animation (which I guess is what you mean by "hand-drawn"). If you can't tell that not all "cheapquels" are of the same quality and that they have generally improved over time then it is your own eye that needs training.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 8th, 2005, 7:26 pm

askmike1 wrote:Here's my example. Can you tell which one is the sequel? (This isn't the best example, but it is hard to find movie pics on the internet)

(Click the second pic for a larger version)
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the two movies. However, they are still hella similar to each other.

And honestly, I liked 1 1/2's animation a tiny bit better for timon and pumba, because they seemed to REALLY go all out with the expressions with Timon, who is someone I expect to be REALLY expresive. I love timon, and timon's animations have always been a favorite of mine.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 7:47 pm

"I bet that if I show you a screenshot from TLK & TLK1.5 (providing they contain only characters found in both), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

It doesn't matter what it looks like. The stories are still crap. You're just basing it on look, not story.

The only cheapquel I thought was good was Aladdin & the King of Thieves because the story was original and Robin Williams ads a lot. The animation stinks big time but the plot was interesting. The other cheapquels just plain stink or they have redeeming scenes but then get off track fast. Return to Neverland is one that suffers from this. Once they got to Neverland it stank. The opening was good though.

"Although I can't vouch for the plot (as I did not see it yet), animation in the Bambi sequel looks to also be top notch."

I agree but the plot will probably stink like the others...

"The "cheapquels" started when Feature Animation was still going gangbusters. They were never begun to replace Feature Animation (which I guess is what you mean by "hand-drawn")"

Maybe that's not how they started but it's what they resulted in doing.

"If you can't tell that not all "cheapquels" are of the same quality and that they have generally improved over time then it is your own eye that needs training."

the look has nothing to do with story.