Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2005, 11:25 am

You sure sounded like you were disputting it. I bet a lot less people hate Lasseter than Katzenberg.
Well, there's no way of knowing this of course. I was just trying to say that from my impression, the animators by and large seemed to like (or at least respect) Katzenberg. He wasn't just another "clueless executive" like David Stainton or Tom Schumacker.
BTW I don't know John Lassetter but I've seen recent interviews with him on the Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo DVDs and he seemed kind of stuck-up to me. Very full of himself.
You mean like Bambi's mom dying? Mufasa's murder? Frollo killing Quasimodo's mom?
Those events were all pretty disturbing, but the Killing of the First Born is children being struck by down by G-d. That's a hard subject to deal with in an animated, to say nothing of Disney, film.
Well thank you. I respect yor stubborness and admire passionate heart.
No problem, same here! :wink:

I bet that when the Bible was written they were thinking of Katzenberg and Eisner...especially when those events were taking place. lol.

Yeah....you never know. (j/k) :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 2nd, 2005, 3:15 pm

" Well, there's no way of knowing this of course."

I hear a lot less complain about Lasseter than Katzenberg.

"BTW I don't know John Lassetter but I've seen recent interviews with him on the Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo DVDs and he seemed kind of stuck-up to me. Very full of himself."

I never read that. Anyone else?

" Those events were all pretty disturbing, but the Killing of the First Born is children being struck by down by G0d. That's a hard subject to deal with in an animated, to say nothing of Disney, film."

It's no more disturbing than anything else you see in an animated film at their most edgy. Even look at Tarzan's parents dying. That is a lot moe graphic than killing the first born....at least the killing of the forst born was justified. Ramses was warned and ignored letting the Jews go. Let out of the film, the real Ramses even said they could go to get the plague lifted only to renig on his word later. The real Ramses was a big jerk like that. It's not like he could have avoided it if he wanted to.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2005, 10:17 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
...BTW I don't know John Lassetter but I've seen recent interviews with him on the Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo DVDs and he seemed kind of stuck-up to me. Very full of himself...
Huh?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2005, 12:42 pm

It's no more disturbing than anything else you see in an animated film at their most edgy. Even look at Tarzan's parents dying. That is a lot moe graphic than killing the first born....at least the killing of the forst born was justified. Ramses was warned and ignored letting the Jews go. Let out of the film, the real Ramses even said they could go to get the plague lifted only to renig on his word later. The real Ramses was a big jerk like that. It's not like he could have avoided it if he wanted to.

JL just seemed that way to me. I could be wrong. But in general whenever I read comments from Pixar about their own movies it seems like they are always patting themselves on the back or grandstanding. Like Steve Jobs (and I do count him as a Pixar employee) preening about how lousy Disney movies have been and how great Pixar movies are. Or Brad Bird's comments about Sinbad...or Lee Unkrich's about Shrek.
It just seems like a general trend in Pixar to me, but maybe it's natural to be kind of conceited when EVERYONE is praising you to the skies....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2005, 1:27 pm

Bottom line: Pixar know hoe good they are (and have the critical praise and commercial clout to back this up).

Sometimes, they may come off as sounding self-congratulory, but I very much doubt it is intended. You can't talk about your own success without someone thinking you are boasting, but you DO half to face that success and comment on it sometime.

And...facts are that they are very successful! :)

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 3rd, 2005, 9:32 pm

Steve Jobs has a thing going with Eisner. You have to know how Jobs his to get why he says stuff like that. It's hiss style.

As for the Pixar boys, I never took them to be cocky. I also took it as dishing it right back to Katzenberg and Eisner. nothing conceited about it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 4th, 2005, 7:25 pm

This isn't exactly on-topic, but I didn't want to start another thread. There have been biographies of practically every media mogul in the business--Geffen, Spielberg, Barry Diller, Eisner, Steve Jobs, but not Katzenberg. There is EXTREMELY little on his life, childhood, etc...Do you think there is a chance of a possible book ever coming out on his life?
I would start a new religion if this ever happened. (not really, of course :roll: )

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 3:44 pm

You already asked that a year ago. You should write it. Good ol' Jef would love to hear his victimized by Eisner/beloved by all animators propaganda spouted back at him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2005, 7:03 pm

You already asked that a year ago. You should write it. Good ol' Jef would love to hear his victimized by Eisner/beloved by all animators propaganda spouted back at him.
Maybe I did ask it last year, but there wasn't a book then and there isn't one now.

I doubt I could write it;(even though I'd like to.) You need to have connections in Hollywood to write a book like that and I don't... :roll:
Plus I don't know if he wants it; I think he's actually very private and I wouldn't want to write an unauthorized bio.

BTW he WAS victimized by Eisner. It's not propoganda if it actually happened.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 11:52 pm

"BTW he WAS victimized by Eisner. It's not propoganda if it actually happened."

SIGH!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 10:36 am

Just over half-way through, and I'm finding DisneyWar a fascinating read. Nice to have all the facts - and rumors - cleared up and presented in one, easy to read place!

There's actually more in that book than I've ever read anywhere else on Katzenjammer and, yes, he's pretty private.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not waiting for DreamWorks to win a very big Oscar with his name all over it before he puts down in words his life story, if ever.

But the man does sound like he wants to be remembered, and a book would be as good a thing as any. It'll happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 8th, 2005, 1:16 pm

Stewart must have got some of his Katz-facts mixed up tho--according to him Katzenberg has "twin sons" when he really has a SON and DAUGHTER who are twins. DUH! :roll: (His son went out with Mary-Kate Olsen)

But the man does sound like he wants to be remembered, and a book would be as good a thing as any. It'll happen.
Yeah but WHEN????? :( AHHHHHHH :shock: so hard to wait......... :x

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 7:30 pm

"Stewart must have got some of his Katz-facts mixed up tho--according to him Katzenberg has "twin sons" when he really has a SON and DAUGHTER who are twins. DUH! Rolling Eyes (His son went out with Mary-Kate Olsen) "

Well obviously that author checks his facts., If he's wrong about that I'm sure he's right about everything else.... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 9th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Post deleted

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Early Oscar picks?

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2005, 10:36 pm

Hmmm....I know it's kind of early but since it IS September now and offically the end of the summer movie season:

IMO Best Picture: Cinderella Man, Broken Flowers (the new Bill Murray film) and maybe a couple of others. I'm not that clear on what's out there... Oh yeah that Penguin movie for best doc, Sith for Best effects, WOTW for best effects and best sound (maybe even best adapted screenplay?)

Best Actor: Russell Crow, Bill Murray, uh, others....

Dakota for best supporting in WOTW. Tom for best actor...even with all his off-screen weirdness. :roll:

Oh yeah Johnny Depp for best actor in CATCF, which IMO should also be nominated for best musical/comedy (Golden Globe) as well as Danny Elfman's score/soundtrack. I think that will be a shoo-in.

(Definetely one of the Oompa Loompa numbers will get nominated. I'm betting on "Mike Tevee" or "Willy Wonka")

Sith and WOTW (both John Williams of course) will probably also get Best Score noms. (just like in 2002 when he had Harry Potter vs. AI)

Best animated film:

So far:

Madagascar
Wallace and Gromit
Chicken Little
Corpse Bride
(First year w/out Pixar in the running since this category first started! It figures since *of course* Disney doesn't want to get beat out by them AGAIN, which was why they moved Cars to AFTER CL.)

From the looks of it Corpse Bride has a good shot but it's a little "odd" for the Academy, especially considering the subject matter.

(Also it just occured to me: This Oscar season might be historic in that not one but TWO children might be nominated for best supporting: Dakota from WOTW and Freddy Highmore (Charlie) from CATCF. I think it's possible, anyway.)

Well, those are my first thoughts.

Any suggestions?