Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 4th, 2005, 7:56 pm

He is saying they are child-like. He is not saying, "They ARE children." It's a story. It's not held to the rigorous demands of reality.
After that story reported on this site about the eBay book being sold with the tar baby changed to a glue baby, I hope we don’t see censorship in a DVD release.
I highly highly doubt that the tar baby will be changed to a glue baby for the DVD release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 4th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say they are children. Do children have white beards and work in the mines? Also, I don't think children would have voices like that or would be able to build a pedestal/coffin for Snow White.
What I meant was that traditionally, at least in the folk tale sense, the dwarves were not fully developed men in the way that Prince Charming was a man. They may have had some attributes of men, but they were NOT men in the strictly human sense. Otherwise, the entire fairy tale would have had a completely different meaning.
The dwarves were basically guarding SW's virginity by protecting her, both when she is alive and when she is "frozen" in her "coffin." In the original story she was supposed to be in the coffin for years until she was "ready", hence the allegory for development.
But in the Disney version she isn't frozen for very long. Ditto Sleeping Beauty, where the years passing were also supposed to indicate the change from puberty to adulthood.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tar baby in Timon and Pumbaa?

Post by JustinWilliams » March 5th, 2005, 1:39 pm

I never fully understood the tar baby part of the controversy - why was it so offensive? It's not clearly defined as racially linked to me?! Is that what it was? I mean, you could class this image from Around the World with Timon and Pumbaa as offensive then.....
ImageImage

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 5th, 2005, 1:55 pm

It's not racist at all. It's just that people who try to read racism into everything think, "Oh, look, there's a tar baby sittin' there not saying anything. I bet Walt Disney was using that to somehow say that black (the color of tar) people are stupid." That's it. There's no more thought or analysis that goes into the matter than that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: ...I just meant....

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2005, 3:46 pm

JustinWilliams wrote:
I just assumed he was gay...but really Tarzan? Isn't there any other Disney hero more handsome than that? Ladies???
I'm assuming that Justin is a boy's name here. And that makes your comment very disturbing!
Ben, what's disturbing to you about gay people?

Careful! That first quote wasn't from me. I never said anything about being gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just commenting that anyone who wanted to see Tarzan full frontal seemed a little strange... No homosexual innuendo implied! Nevertheless, I must say that he did strike me as being a particularly handsome Disney leading man. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

...ahhh

Post by JustinWilliams » March 6th, 2005, 6:02 am

Well thanks for clearing up, Ben, what exactly you found disturbing.

Christian - thanks for your comments. I don't see it either. It's not presented in the way that you see in other already released Disney animation (below) and it's just a character made out of tar. It's just stupid - it's not offensive in any way because it's not intended to be a black person in any way! It doesn't follow the typical cartoon depictions of blacks of that time....It's just a character made of bloody tar!
ImageImageImageImageImage

All I see is how different the tar baby looks to all these. "Fresh Hare" (Freleng; 1942), "Uncle Tom's Bungalow" (Avery; 1937), "Hittin' the Trail to Hallelujah Land" (Harman and Ising; 1931) and even a number of Walt Disney shorts on the Mickey Mouse in Black & White Volume 2 Treasures Set show you offensive material....

....I just don't get it.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 3:28 pm

All this crap abot Fairy Tales being full of sexual innundo it total BS. People who read this trash into these things have way too much time on their hands.

I never NEVER thought the tar baby was a black person whenever I saw that segment growing up. It was not supposed to be a black person. Again, the only people who think it does have way too much time on their hands.

Banned
Banned

Song of the South 2 & 3!!!!

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 12:04 am

Okay, folks, I just heard this from a very reliable souce that Song of the South 2 & 3 are indeed in production at Disney. The plot for 2 centers around what happens when Johnny and Jenny grow up and get married. They return to the plantation to see Ucle Remus with their children, only to find that the Favors boys are grown up and have joined the Klan! It's up to Jenny, Johnny, and their kids to save Uncle Remus so that he may continue to tell his stories....

In Song of the South 3 Johnny and Jenny's grandchildren must fight greedy Disney executives, the NAACP, the liberal left, and Jesse Jackson himself!!! As they try to get the beloved Uncle Remus stories released onto DVD and Home Video for the 21st century! Will the classic film Song of the South be released for all to see? Only time will tell!!!!

and if you believe this you'll believe anything. ;)

APRIL FOOLS a few weeks early.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 8th, 2005, 1:02 am

But what is part 4 going to be about? Maybe it'll be a Song of the South/Fat Albert crossover.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 10:31 am

I'd like to see 'em do another cross-over:

SONG OF THE SOUTH PARK

"Oh my!" ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2005, 10:54 am

Ben wrote:I'd like to see 'em do another cross-over:

SONG OF THE SOUTH PARK

"Oh my!"
Could you just imagine the songs! Oh my indeed!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 11:14 am

Ed, please stop using the word "crap" in most of your posts. You yourself were one of the ones who opposed bad language here, and it jumps out at me everytime you use it.

Thanks. :)

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 4:39 pm

when did i say crap? Would you rather I say shit or poop?

crap isn't a swear word.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 8th, 2005, 9:03 pm

Special_Ed wrote:when did i say crap?
It's in your first post of this page of the thread. It stands out mainly because it's one of the few words in that sentence you spelled correctly.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 10:11 pm

"It's in your first post of this page of the thread. It stands out mainly because it's one of the few words in that sentence you spelled correctly."

If ya can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, mister one without flaws.