Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

11 Possible Oscars Nominations Discussion

Post by askmike1 » November 5th, 2004, 3:04 pm

I didn't see anywhere to discuss the "Oscar" news today so I figured I'd talk about it here. In my opinion, it's a three way race between The Incredibles, Shrek 2, and one of the smaller ones (such as Teachers Pet or Clifford). If they have enough for 5 nominations, then add Polar Express and Home on the Range. Personally, I want Home on the Range to win because it is my favorite out of those. What it really comes down to is Incredibles and Shrek 2. Who should win out of the 2, The Incredibles. However will the curse of the 'Katz-ino' continue and Disney lose again? I guess there's nothing to do but wait until February.

-Michael
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » November 5th, 2004, 3:13 pm

I am suprised that Sky Captain isnt on the list since it was pretty much an animated movie.

I think that the 3 that will be nominated are Shrek 2, The Incredibles, and The Polar Express and Polar Express or Incredibles will win.

I just dont want Shrek 2 to win!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 5th, 2004, 3:50 pm

I wouldn't mind if Shrek 2 won, cause I really enjoyed that movie.
But I'd like to see The Incredibles win.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by scofo » November 5th, 2004, 5:14 pm

I hope the Incredibles wins :) Shrek 2 was pretty lame. they really should have worked on the writing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

maybe

Post by ShyViolet » November 5th, 2004, 5:55 pm

Any chance for either Incredibles or Shrek 2 to get a Best Picture nomination? IMO it's POSSIBLE. Shrek 2 got so many great reviews, plus it made tons and tons of money. Incredibles will no doubt do the same. They will both be very popular movies, and very popular movies often get nominated.

Plus, I haven't heard of any other Best Picture noms so far. So you never know. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MusicFan » November 5th, 2004, 6:50 pm

scofo wrote:I hope the Incredibles wins :) Shrek 2 was pretty lame. they really should have worked on the writing.
Woah, a bad review of Shrek 2, never thought I would see that in my life time. I'm also shocked Sky Captain wasn't nominated, if that isn't nominated, then The Polar Express shouldn't be either. I'm going to have to wait until after I see The Incredibles to make my judgement of which film should win.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 5th, 2004, 10:11 pm

MusicFan wrote:I'm also shocked Sky Captain wasn't nominated, if that isn't nominated, then The Polar Express shouldn't be either.
Just as a note, these 11 films have not been nominated, these are the 11 that are elegible to be nominated.

-Michael
PS: If the Red Sox could win a World Series after 86 years losing, Disney/Pixar could certainly win an Oscar after 2 years of not winning (unless of course the curse of the Katzino is too strong)
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 5th, 2004, 10:55 pm

After seeing the incredibles, it will be a horrible shame if it loses. I don't see how it CAN lose.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 6th, 2004, 3:22 pm

askmike1 wrote:
MusicFan wrote:I'm also shocked Sky Captain wasn't nominated, if that isn't nominated, then The Polar Express shouldn't be either.
Just as a note, these 11 films have not been nominated, these are the 11 that are elegible to be nominated.

-Michael
PS: If the Red Sox could win a World Series after 86 years losing, Disney/Pixar could certainly win an Oscar after 2 years of not winning (unless of course the curse of the Katzino is too strong)

Yeah but didn't they win last year with Finding Nemo?

Also DW hasn't won the animated film Oscar since 2002, with the original Shrek. They lost to Spirited Away in 2003.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 6th, 2004, 11:03 pm

Yes they did, I don't know why I forgot that. I think I was mixing up the categories in my head. When I think of last years Oscars, the thing that pops out first is that there was an upset where Disney didn't win...which would have been the animated short category. For some reason I totally forgot that Nemo won. So I guess ignore everything I said in this thread that had to do with Disney never winning.

-Michael
-Michael

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 7th, 2004, 1:34 am

askmike1 wrote:So I guess ignore everything I said in this thread that had to do with Disney never winning.

-Michael

Technically,

Disney has won Oscars for animation, but it was the animated short and technical achievement Oscars the company dominated. The Disney Company dominated the 1930s animated shorts category winning almost year of the decade it seems. It wasn't until the 1940s that the animated short Oscar wins were split primarily between Warner Bros and MGM. That trend continued into the 1950s. It's absolutely almost insane how many Oscars the orginal MGM Tom & Jerry series alone was nominated for/and or won!

Since the 1950s, Disney has won an Oscar or two along the way for the rare theatrical short. I think "Runaway Brain" was the last Disney short nominated for an Oscar (1996).

Disney DID win an Oscar for an animated feature well before "Beauty & the Beast" was nominated for Best Picture in 1992 (the first and ONLY animated feature to compete with live-action films in that category).

The animated feature that won Disney a special achievement Oscar was "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2004, 5:00 am

GeorgeC wrote:I think "Runaway Brain" was the last Disney short nominated for an Oscar (1996).
Destino, 2004. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 7th, 2004, 1:58 pm

Hey Ben, I'm not in the mood to look it up: Did John Henry get nominated?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2004, 2:34 pm

John Henry didn't even get a proper release!

Finished in 2000, it sat on the shelf until it got bunged on the front of Return To NeverLand and the American Legends DVD in early 2002.

Banned
Banned

The Oscar race....

Post by Special_Ed » November 7th, 2004, 2:47 pm

Ed's predictions:

The nominees will be:

The Incredibles
Shrek 2 and/or Sharktale
Polar Express

If we go to 5 you'll see both Dreamworks films and
Spongebob or Ghost in the Shell

But those first 4 films are who will be serious choices for winnder. We all agree Incredibles should win, however we felt the same when Monsters Inc. went up against Shrek. Shrek 2 and Sharktale both have an equal shot but the wild card may be Polar Express. Bob Zemekis is a beloved figure in Hollywood. He may win just on sheer name alone. I have a 50/50 feeling we'll see Pixar shafter again for the "shiny, new, & hip" Dreamworks or by Zemeckis.

(I'm good at calling the odds. I predicted the Presidential election accurately, close to the number too, and you should see my predictions for 2008. :D )