General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 2nd, 2007, 3:06 am

Cats Don't Dance

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 3:22 am

I totally agree about Emperor's New Groove--very sweet, funny, entertaining pic!!

I love Pacha. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » March 2nd, 2007, 5:11 am

Ok. Movies massively underrated by wide audiences:
The Triplets of Belleville

...(wide empty space, and then...)

Not so massively underrated movie ;)
Arthur and the Invisibles (too many forced and not really successful efforts to make it more appealing to american audiences by putting in some used gags and references, but still very nice and very well made movie)

Movies underrated by just a tiny bit (IMHO) ;)
The Ant Bully - I know that it's just another insect movie (ANTS AGAIN!!!), but it was much better than I expected and actually enjoyed this little, not very original but well animated and precisely told story :) (well... the truth is I didn't expect much after reading reviews in polish papers...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 2nd, 2007, 6:08 am

ShyViolet wrote:Love that picture of Yum-Yum and King Nod.....:)

(they really do resemble Jasmine and the Sultan don't they?? :shock: )

Also, YouTube has since then removed the film and all the trailers too......:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

(I think in a couple of months or so, A LOT more stuff is goint to be gone too. :()

Darn Google!!! :?

(I knew it: like Napster all over again....)
You can still download the entire recut as a torrent, but it's a big one 3.45 GB or something.
I'm hoping one day the restored version is completed and released to a wide audience

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 2nd, 2007, 6:11 am

Kaszubas wrote:Ok. Movies massively underrated by wide audiences:
The Triplets of Belleville
I guess that one depends on where you live,
In France and Belgium it's a really popular film.
( A lot to do with the fact that it was a Belgium/French production propably)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2007, 7:59 am

ShyViolet wrote:Also, YouTube has since then removed the film and all the trailers too......:(

Yeah, darn them and all their copyright protecting shenanigans! Seriously Vi, these things have creators that are not getting paid because of the infringement of people posting this stuff. In this case, I was all for people getting a better look at what was intended, but like Superman II this was a cut-and-paste assemble as close to the original as possible, but who knows what the film would have been like if Williams had been allowed to complete it. At the end of the day, while the mission's heart was in the right place, that material is copyrighted to various companies around the world. It's down to them if a restored/re-completed version is ever put into production, but how likely do you reckon that would be? There was hope while Disney still owned the material, but now it's at the Weinsteins all hope is lost - they're the ones who botched this away from Williams in the first place! Having an underground cut is all well and good, but You Tube making all manner of copyrighted things available so widely <I>is</I> breaking that law.

------------------------------

Yep, Kaszubas, I'd definitely agree on Belleville...exceptional animated filmmaking, and whoever is saying that Pixar can't pull off a "silent" movie with WALL-E should see this for proof it can be done!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 9:18 am

Yeah, darn them and all their copyright protecting shenanigans! Seriously Vi, these things have creators that are not getting paid because of the infringement of people posting this stuff.
Yeah, I understand that point of view....all in all I agree with it.

I'm definitely against illegal downloading....I ALWAYS download stuff from itunes, period. :wink:

I totally agree with that PSA--warning they show in movie theaters etc...."You wouldn't steal a car....you wouldn't steal a CD....illegal downloading IS stealing....stealing.... is..... AGAINST THE LAW."

It's just that YouTube is, well, not owning something, just watching it....but then you pretty much watch it whenever you want, so it is kind of like owning it.....even though the quality is usually pretty bad.

It's just cool 'cause sometimes its hard to find rare stuff or maybe a clip of a show everyone is talking about but you missed.....:wink:

But I get your points Ben......I DO think it's wrong for artists/creators to be cheated from owning what they created because of the "information superhighway." :roll:

Having an underground cut is all well and good, but You Tube making all manner of copyrighted things available so widely

Not anymore really....every time I go to that site another clip has been pulled off.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 10:16 am

Josh posted this article (and a couple of others)a while ago on the very short-lived YouTube issues thread --debating the morality of it, etc.....

http://www.animated-news.com/forum/view ... 11&start=0

I think the WSJ article is interesting, but overall I do feel (even though I love watching YouTube :?) that right is right and fair is fair.

Personally, I think the guy who wrote this WSJ article (before Google bought the Tube) is mostly full of it. "Empowering the consumer"? Oh please.
If businesses lose money, I hardly think this would benefit the consumer in the long run....:roll: Which would in turn hurt businesses back.....:?

(Same type of euphemism that the creators of Napster invented: "Sharing information")

It's still interesting to read it though.....:)
And I know DW tried to cash in on the whole thing by releasing those short videos of singing slugs before Flushed Away came out. (didn't do them much good though. :()

And then when it came out on DVD....AGAIN with MORE singing slugs as DVD extras and stuffed animals?? Oh boy....:?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB ... ?mod=blogs
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 2nd, 2007, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » March 2nd, 2007, 10:28 am

Zwollie wrote:I guess that one depends on where you live,
In France and Belgium it's a really popular film.
( A lot to do with the fact that it was a Belgium/French production propably)
That's what I was talking about - it all depends on too many things and factors - I agree with You here :)
But this recognition and popularity limited to so few countries (countries of its origin) and some narrow circles of people (those interested in culture, animation, and international cinematography) in other countries just proves my claims - this is massively underrated film, because in my personal opinion it deserves to be popular and widely appreciated worldwide :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 2nd, 2007, 11:59 am

Also, YouTube has since then removed the film and all the trailers too...... :(

You can still watch the entire movie in one piece on video google
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6719734101

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lordcookie » March 3rd, 2007, 4:17 pm

Le Roi Et L'oiseau is a film with a great critical reception but I don't actually know anybody else who has seen it. It's certainly one of the best animated films I have seen.

Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress is similar. Many people have watched Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers but this wipes the floor with both of them.

Another great anime that hasn't found a decent enough audience is Mind Game. It's just crazy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lordcookie » March 3rd, 2007, 4:19 pm

Le Roi Et L'oiseau is a film with a great critical reception but I don't actually know anybody else who has seen it. It's certainly one of the best animated films I have seen.

Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress is similar. Many people have watched Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers but this wipes the floor with both of them.

Another great anime that hasn't found a decent enough audience is Mind Game. It's just crazy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 8th, 2007, 11:46 am

Another underated movie (which, incidentally, I just watched for the first time in years) is Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back. Sure the dialogue's a bit corny, but it's got a good story, a memorable villain and one of my favorite pieces of film score (called "Tears of Life" on the soundtrack. If any of you guys subscribe to Real Rhapsody, look it up. It's worth hearing). I was 16 when Pokemon became popular but I was just as into it as the 10 year olds and I've still got a soft spot for it. Probably because I've got Aspergers Syndrome and Pokemon appeals to my love of catagorization and trivia. Supposedly, Satoshi Tajiri has Aspergers too so maybe that explains it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 8th, 2007, 12:35 pm

Whisper of the Heart.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 8th, 2007, 4:25 pm

eddievalient wrote:Another underated movie (which, incidentally, I just watched for the first time in years) is Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back. Sure the dialogue's a bit corny, but it's got a good story, a memorable villain and one of my favorite pieces of film score (called "Tears of Life" on the soundtrack. If any of you guys subscribe to Real Rhapsody, look it up. It's worth hearing). I was 16 when Pokemon became popular but I was just as into it as the 10 year olds and I've still got a soft spot for it. Probably because I've got Aspergers Syndrome and Pokemon appeals to my love of catagorization and trivia. Supposedly, Satoshi Tajiri has Aspergers too so maybe that explains it.
Pokémon movies are always "dumbed" down for english viewers.
That's why the translation sounds corny with a lot of translated anime.

I used to love the pokémon series as a kid ( still into the games )
and recently revisited the first couple of movies again for nostalgic reasons,
when I was finished with those, I decided to rent the ones I hadn't seen when I was a kid
and was really suprised how every movie keeps being better then the last one.
I try to watch the japanese version as much as I can with english subs because it sounds a lot more rich and beautiful then the translations.
Outside of Miyazaki's films, anime still gets overlooked by the general audience
It's a shame :(
Those movies are always so imaginative and original, we can learn a lot from the japanese on some accounts